More money in darts than pool!

Last night my league operator made a great but poignant joke.
Whats the difference between a pool player and a pizza pie. A pizza can feed a family of 4.

Jeanette Lee once worked as a waitress at Amsterdam Billiards, so she probably heard that joke before. Taking that lesson to heart, she has done a great job of marketing herself. A key to her marketing success is not limit herself to pool sponsors.

I'm suprised that others in a position like Jeanette are not actively trying to emulate her business model. I can easily picture (literally) Jasmine Ouschan model tight jeans for Abercrombie and Fitch.

Some here have cited pool's 'unsavory' image, look at the success of Daytona Bike week and Sturgis how the organizers embraced and capitalize on it.
 
I don't play pool for the prize money. I play pool because im obsessed with the game, and enjoy it more than anything :D
 
The really big money darts is in Uk. The key is that people will watch it, not just at the venues but more importantly on tv where darts audiences, contrary to your perception of US tv, are in fact huge. People won't watch pool in big numbers, either at the venue or on tv. Big tv audiences mean that advertisers from outside the darts industry will take advertising slots at the venues, on the players shirts etc and during the tv show breaks, simple as that. Pool advertisers/sponsors are almost invariably from within the cuesports or gambling industries, with occasional alcohol industry input.

Darts is seen as a game played by ordinary working guys, albeit often big fat ones, in the pubs as a comfortably non-threatening social accompaniment to a night out or on the way home from a day's work.

Pool is widely perceived as being played by low life thieves, cheats, drug addicts, gamblers, the workshy and the the socially inadequate....don't shoot the messenger, that's the way it is......and that's another reason why most, possibly all, blue chip companies wouldn't have their brand image associated with pool if we gave it to them for free, let alone invest any money in the exercise.....NEVER going to happen.

Try listing playing pool in pool rooms as your favourite out of work pastime on your CV or application for any job which involves a degree of direct responsibility for large sums of money, especially cash or a great deal of faith in your honesty.....see how many interviews you get invited to, but don't hold your breath during the wait.......very frustrating and very disappointing a perception/attitude by the non pool playing public.......but let's not pretend it isn't the prevalent one :frown:

Re the other question......there are two large pro darts bodies/tours organised from Uk but I know next to nothing about US darts.

Im not disagreeing with you but when I first got out of law school I got interviews and more than a few of them let me know in the interview that my resume caught their eye because under "hobbies" I had listed the collegiate national championship title. That said, if I had worked harder at my J.D. (juris doctorate) instead of my P.H.D. (pool hall diploma), I probably would have had better offers, so its a wash.
 
Back
Top