Mosconi cup pockets

There looks to be little or no shelf...and look how concave the facing angles are. Has any ball rattled yet at all? On my home table I have 4 1/4" pockets but there is only about a finger tips width between the end of the shelf and the remaining facing angle...these pockets look like you could fit 4 fingers in there. The side pockets look tight though.

concave.jpg

pockets.jpg

Last edited:
This ball dropped??? Are you kidding me??? He even put right hand english on the cueball ball because the 7 ball was covering the left side. You can see it throw the 6 ball to the left which is why he hit the point, but more importantly this transferred left english to the 6 ball, so was actually pulling it out of the pocket. I mean he hit almost left of the point...this is what the concave face angle does. Earl hates big pockets lol...you can see him muttering something after...probably how that never should have dropped lol.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ball dropped??? Are you kidding me??? He even put right hand english on the cueball ball because the 7 ball was covering the left side...so this transferred left english to the object ball, so was actually pulling it out of the pocket. I mean he hit almost left of the point...this is what the concave face angle does. Earl hates big pockets lol...you can see him muttering something after...probably how that never should have dropped lol.

Newly installed cloth always makes the pockets play more forgiving, which is why they chose to use 4” pockets. If this table was in a pool room for a few months, these pockets would play completely differently. Also what needs to be understood is that the more you lengthen the rails and tighten the pocket mouths, the shallow the shelf gets.

Newly installed cloth always makes the pockets play more forgiving, which is why they chose to use 4” pockets. If this table was in a pool room for a few months, these pockets would play completely differently. Also what needs to be understood is that the more you lengthen the rails and tighten the pocket mouths, the shallow the shelf gets.
The slate looks custom for short shelfs because my shelfs are way longer and I had custom 4 1/4" rails.

Oh these are Rasson tables...well here is the proof.

For play I think Rasson tables pocket balls much easier. I think the toughness , and even the quirkiness of Diamond pro cut pockets with deep shelves makes for a very challenging game. Rasson tables take shots that would never fall on a Diamond.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nice to be used as a reference.

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 202

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ball dropped??? Are you kidding me??? He even put right hand english on the cueball ball because the 7 ball was covering the left side. You can see it throw the 6 ball to the left which is why he hit the point, but more importantly this transferred left english to the 6 ball, so was actually pulling it out of the pocket. I mean he hit almost left of the point...this is what the concave face angle does. Earl hates big pockets lol...you can see him muttering something after...probably how that never should have dropped lol.

Our tightest table with 4-1/4” pockets, that ball wouldn’t have even come close to dropping. It would have hit the two points and then bounced away from the pocket.

The reason it did is partly because of the new cloth, partly because of the soft pace on the shot. partly because of the shallow shelves, and partly because of the dead thick pocket facings.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn’t notice that…I hate deep shelves but these are really generous.
I deep shelves suck. However these are too shallow. GC’s have it right.

The side pockets on this box are treacherous.

I haven’t noticed any funny rolls anywhere on the table or big bounces with the cushions or dead bounces.

It doesn’t appear to be a bad table at all. No skids either(which can happen often in Vegas with the dry air) the cloth was pulled properly from what I found see.

Overall while it’s not perfect (what table ever is?) this table ain’t bad. I’d like to see it used again anytime.

Deep shelf’s piss me off, roll-offs even more so.

Best
Fatboy 😃

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The facing angles are concave...just like the definition of concave...opposite of convex.
Maybe you're being misled by this view where the facing might look like it's curved away from us - but that's an optical illusion caused by the curved top of the cushion (notice that the facing nearer to us looks like it's curved outward).

pocket 1.png

Here's an overhead view of the same pocket, showing that the facings are flat, not curved:

pocket 2.png

pj
chgo

P.S. It's not uncommon for older pocket facings to be a little concave from being beaten by balls - but these haven't (yet).

Last edited: