Mosconi Cup Teams Anounced

Luke Riches

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Monday 20th October

After nine highly successful years in the UK, the Mosconi Cup is all set to make its Stateside debut when it takes place from 18th – 21st December at the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas.

Promoters Matchroom Sport can now announce the two teams for what is pool’s version of the Ryder Cup.

Representing Europe will be :

Oliver Ortmann (Germany) Non-playing captain
Marcus Chamat (Sweden)
Steve Davis (England)
Thorsten Hohmann (Germany)
Mika Immonen (Finland)
Ralf Souquet (Germany)
Nick van den Berg (Holland)

Flushed with the success of last December, when the European team won for the first time in seven years, European veteran Steve Davis said, “It was a tremendous performance from everybody last year.

“Galvanised by Oliver Ortmann, who was superb, we matched the USA in every department and we can’t wait to get out to Vegas and retain the trophy.”

The American side contains several changes from the team that lost 12 – 9 last year but won by a landslide in 2001.

The full team is:

Nick Varner (Kentucky) Non-playing captain
Johnny Archer (Georgia)
Jeremy Jones (Texas)
Rodney Morris (Hawaii)
Tony Robles (New York)
Earl Strickland (South Carolina)
Charlie Williams (Florida)

Once again, the entire event will be live on Sky Sports in the UK as the two six man teams battle it out in a series of singles and doubles matches over four days.

The official sponsors of the 2003 Mosconi Cup are Simonis Cloth, Super Aramith Pro Balls and Predator Cues.

www.mosconicup.com

westjer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luke,
I understand that at the events in the UK you get a lot of fans that cheer and have a good time at this event. Will some of that be lost by having it at the MGM Grand in Vegas? Would it may have been better to coordinate with a large amateur event so there would be more people who would want to attend? As you know, we here in the states have yet to convince those not involved in the sport to attend. Just wondering. Thanks

K

King Cueball

I hope we bring the cup back to the states this year! Its going to be a dog fight Europe has a awesome team. Im not sure about the new member of our team, tony robles is a good player but i dont think he is good enough to repersent the unted states in a tournament such as this. Charlie williams has been playing good this year but he to has his ups and downs. Rodney morris is a really good player when he is in stroke. Its a shame all of our legends are getting older and couldnt all come to play in this tournament such as buddy hall and mike sigel! Is anyone in the UK going to tape this or will it be on us Tv? Anyway USA USA USA!!!!

Luke Riches

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Don't worry about fans not cheering. So far we have around 60 - 65 European fans making the trip and US fans are starting to buy the tickets in numbers.

The atmosphere should be tremendous. After all, if you can't get excited watching the Mosconi Cup, then you're not breathing!

The event will be shown a s a continuous six hour highlights package on ESPN2 on Sunday 28th December.

Luke

G

Gerry

King,
Tony is as strong a player as any of the others listed, just does'nt have the "international" exposure. I think any of the players on either side can beat anyone in the world when in stroke....IMO...Gerry

K

King Cueball

Gerry.
Im not saying tony isn"t a strong player i just think for this type of tournament we should have the best of the best from the states. There are stronger players out there who could take his place.

C

CrispyFish

King Cueball, Tony defeated Mika at the Fury World Pool Summit this month. That right there qualifies him for the Mosconi Cup in my book. :)