My first custom by Eddie Cohen

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months back I decided that I needed an upgrade to my playing cue. The cue I was shooting with (an inexpensive McDermott with a Predator shaft) plays very well, I just wanted something that was a little more... me.

I started doing some research, mostly on here and came up with a few names. I knew I wanted something from someone local (Southern California) which lead me to Kent Davis and Ariel Carmelli. A bit more research and finding Mikey's thread pointed me to what I was looking for. I called a friend who seems to know everyone in the area and he connected me with Eddie Cohen.

I brought a few drawings with me to meet Eddie, who conveniently lives about 10 minutes away from me, and we talked about my ideas for a bit.
kwBXcjW.jpg

jQetRoA.png

After a bit of talking to Eddie and going over my ideas, I decided to pull the trigger. I was amazed when he said he would start it the next day.

Over the process he sent me a few photos here and there and I was offered to stop by and check on the progress fairly often. The build process was quite enjoyable thanks largely to Eddie being so open about everything.
9UopIG8.jpg

yKHjrTG.jpg

m8Lj86T.jpg

Well, I picked up my completed cue on Monday. I must say that I'm as happy as I could possibly be. I'll try to get some better photos when I have to time to get out my good camera. Probably won't be as good as Mikey's pictures, but I'll do my best.
Qu8BXUp.jpg

Q94df6t.jpg

P1JcnZY.jpg

nv9hOiU.jpg

djtMTdh.jpg

Specs:
Ebony and Curly Maple. Ivory and turquoise diamond inlays. Ivory, turquoise and silver ringwork. Matching joint protectors. Black Irish linen wrap.

Butt - 15.5 ounces
314-2 shaft - 3.80 ounces, 12.60mm
Z-2 shaft - 3.55 ounces, 11.80mm

A big thanks to Eddie Cohen for my great new cue and to Mikey Towne for the inspiration to seek out Eddie.

Last edited:

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I need to work on my formatting a bit. I've never posted a thread like this. Sorry folks.

Edit:

Fixed the pictures.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
That's pretty darn cool. I did something similar to design my last cue, using MS paint though.

Congrats on the cue. Looks great!!!

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW!!! If that cue plays half as awesome as it looks, it's a beast! The fit and finish are incredible!

Congratulations!!!:thumbup2:

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks folks. I couldn't be happier with it. Eddie is working on a break stick to go with it now. Had to buy another case to have room for everything.

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue and pictures came out perfect. I like how you got updated along the way to see the cue being built from start to finish.

Did you get an extension with matching ringwork?

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue and pictures came out perfect. I like how you got updated along the way to see the cue being built from start to finish.

Did you get an extension with matching ringwork?

Thanks. I took those with my phone. I really want to take some better ones with the DSLR. We'll see if I ever get around to it.

I did not get an extension. I don't ever use one so the thought never even crossed my mind.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue turned out great, Brian! I bet it plays even better than it looks.

What will your matching break cue look like? Mine should be done very soon.

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue turned out great, Brian! I bet it plays even better than it looks.

What will your matching break cue look like? Mine should be done very soon.

I saw yours on Monday. Looks really nice. Mine will be very similar. All black, with an all black linen wrap and rings to match my playing cue. The wrap will go all of the way down like yours as well as it seems we both break from the very back of the cue. I didn't want the break cue to be too fancy, so I thought blacked out with the nice rings would match perfectly without overshadowing my playing cue.

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picked up my break stick from Eddie and couldn't be happier. Here are a few photos from today.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To add to my glee, I had the good omen of snapping the 9 in on my first break with it. Feels great and hits like a hammer. Can't say enough great things about Eddie and his cues.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That set is great!

I had Eddie make my breaker the exact same way... Rings at joint and butt, with the wrap all the way down to the butt ring. If yours hits the balls half as hard as mine does, it's the nuts!

I was (and still am) very surprised at how much power I am getting out of my breaker. Even when compared to the excellent break cues I've tried by Jericho, OB, Alex Brick, Steve Lomax and Predator... This one just seems to be on another level.

It's a great feeling when you find something that fits your stroke that well.

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That set is great!

I had Eddie make my breaker the exact same way... Rings at joint and butt, with the wrap all the way down to the butt ring. If yours hits the balls half as hard as mine does, it's the nuts!

I was (and still am) very surprised at how much power I am getting out of my breaker. Even when compared to the excellent break cues I've tried by Jericho, OB, Alex Brick, Steve Lomax and Predator... This one just seems to be on another level.

It's a great feeling when you find something that fits your stroke that well.

I saw yours and decided to go the same route. I like the style and it matches up with my player quite well.

The hit is crazy. I get so much movement with very little effort.

I play mostly on bar box tables and break a bit soft but the balls were still flying. Went to Hard Times on Saturday and shot for a while and was dropping two and even three on the break when I hit it good and I'd never been able to break well on big tables. So far I love it.