My US Open

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got some sleep and feel like passing along my thoughts on the Open.

This was my 5th year staying for the weekend and it was far the largest crowds I've seen. Nice to see a good draw of spectators. The usual vendors were out on the midway and appeared to be doing a decent business. As always, the viewing positions in the pit and up in the cheap seats are terrific here. JMD and I had seats ringside for the weekend, right behind Luat in the finals.

The quality of play was outstanding from several players. John Schmidt was just an absolute juggernaut all week. He is such a nice guy and the story with Purdman made it such a magical week! His game is very smooth, meticulous in strategy and execution. He split the pocket every time he pulled the cue back and his safety play was nothing short of amazing. Congratulations to a player who will represent the game and our country in a very high quality manner!

Action at Q Masters was fast and furious although I'm not much of a spectator of money matches. Friday and Saturday nights there was all the action you could want to watch and to play. I can't add any more than those who've already put up. One thing I did see on Saturday night was Raj Hundal playing sets with a kid from Richmond named Luther. He's about 13 or so and was just having the time of his life playing against a big name! In what other sport can you see this? None. Just another reason why this game can be so terrific.

Saw Earl's meltdowns and all I can say is it's very sad. I've made the decision not to watch any more of his matches just on principle. When he "mails it in" like he did against CJ Wiley, it is beyond disgusting. I've been to far more pro golf tournaments and I've never seen that kind of behavior even from players 20 strokes back. I wish he'd get some professional help or stop playing.

The CCB tournament on Saturday was a great time. Barry B always makes sure his staff takes care of us and they did in their usual fine way. Congrats to Rich R. and his lovely wife Kathy for managing another great event! 10 Ball ring game really gives an opportunity for woofing. :p Thanks to all who contributed prizes and I'm always proud to make the trophies for whoever wins them.

Finally, it was great to see my extended pool family. Phil in SoFla, RJ, Rich, Pool Daddy,Timberly, dg and Mrs. dg, Combinator, Eric and his beautiful new bride Suzie, cueball 1950 (aka Mike) and I know I'm forgetting some names again. Great to meet some new faces, too, especially the broad smile of Purdman! :D

To those of you considering a visit next year for goodness sake! What are you waiting for???? It's the one time per year I get to cut loose and have fun for an entire weekend you should, too! (Friday morning, 10 a.m. and I order a double bourbon and ginger at Q Masters. Hey, it's not just for breakfast any more! And it really was 5 o'clock somewhere!)

Best to all! Hope to see more of you there or the DCC soon!

Brian in VA

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric got hitched?

OMG

:)

It breaks my heart not to be there. The one time I came to the CCB Open I really enjoyed it, especially your necktie

I am sure your hand crafted trophies were awesome

tell josh i said hi

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wally in Cincy said:
Eric got hitched?

OMG

:)

It breaks my heart not to be there. The one time I came to the CCB Open I really enjoyed it, especially your necktie

I am sure your hand crafted trophies were awesome

tell josh i said hi
Wally, there is always next year. :D
Start planning now.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wally!!!

Good to hear from you bro!

Yep Eric got hitched and the two of them look about as happy as a couple could be. Everyone had a great time and we missed all those that didn't attend, including you.

Like Rich said, there's always next year!

Best,

Brian in VA

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Careful with those links Rich.... I wonder if you'll get everything I got....Be sure to keep an eye out for negative rep points.
If I get negative rep points for sharing information on a public forum, so be it. After all, I thought that was the purpose forums were established. I guess some don't see it that way. :confused: