Need a Pre-Shot Routine

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would really like a PSR to add more consistency to my game. I just started my first league in October and my biggest problem is nerves. I couldn't find any lists to go on, so I wrote my own. I feel like the sooner I can sub-consciously follow a PSR, the better-off I'll be. I'm also not sure if I pause on the back-swing yet, and during the whole routine, I'm trying to make sure there's not tension in my body.

Planning (While Chalking)
1. Aim: Figuring out where on the ball to aim. This usually requires me standing in front of the OB facing the intended pocket
2. Path: Figuring out what path the cue ball is going to take, what path I want it to take, and what English to use.
3. Speed: Determining the Speed of the shot.
Landing Phase*
1. Aim: While keeping my eye on where I’m aiming, I’ll walk back to the CB, stop chalking, and line up the shot.
2. Landing: Keeping in mind the English I’m using, I’ll land while focusing on keeping my bridge arm and back leg straight (snooker stance)
3. Settle: make minor adjustments to get comfortable.
Shooting Phase
1. Look at the OB ball and back to the CB.
2. 1, 2, 3 pre-strokes**
3. Look at the OB ball and back to the CB.
4. 1, 2, 3 pre-strokes***
5. Draw the cue back while focusing on the CB, pause, look at the OB and follow-through.
6. Stay-down
Notes:
* If anything seems off during the routine, I will revert back to this point and if needed stand back in front of the OB ball.
**Speed of the pre-stroke is influenced by speed of the shot.
***Alternating between looking at OB to CB and pre-strokes is repeated a minimum of twice if not more, depending on the difficulty of the shot.