Need advice for an 89 Richard Black. Butt Fix

Mr1Pocket

Registered
I bought an 89 Richard Black. Ivory Joint and Ferrules perfectly straight. Delrin Butt Cap

My problem is that the cue had a tink or rattle in the Butt End.

I removed the Weight Bolt that connected the Butt Cap and Bumper to the cue. Cue has a Maple Core. Some loose Glue and what may be a piece of plastic came out. (like plastic for putting screws in walls)

My problem is that there is very little thread in the Wood to grip the Weight Bolt.

My friend / (cuemaker) suggests widening the hole, puting a maple or ash plug in it and retapping.

How would you fix this without hurting the value or integrity of the cue?

I am not a cue maker and your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like an education before talking to Richard Black.

Michael J Picciotti

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an 89 Richard Black. Ivory Joint and Ferrules perfectly straight. Delrin Butt Cap

I removed the Weight Bolt that connected the Butt Cap and Bumper to the cue. Cue has a Maple Core. Some loose Glue and what may be a piece of plastic came out. (like plastic for putting screws in walls)

My problem is that there is very little thread in the Wood to grip the Weight Bolt.

My friend / (cuemaker) suggests widening the hole, puting a maple or ash plug in it and retapping.

I am not a cue maker and your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like an education before talking to Richard Black.

Michael J Picciotti

Without seeing the cue, It's tough to say what the best option is. If you trust your cuemaker friend's judgement and skills, I'd let him do what he thinks is best. It sounds like a simple repair and as long as your friend does quality work, I wouldn't think that it would hurt the value or integrity of the cue. He would probably be doing the same thing that Mr Black would do. Contacting Mr Black is always an option too. Good Luck

Mr1Pocket

Registered
I am planning on calling Richard Black but I am curious to know if any of you have done repairs similiar to what my friend described

Michael

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michael J Picciotti

your friend has the best and probably, one of the easiest methods to repair. It would keep everything original. You could also drill and tap to the next size but this would bastardize the cue and Richard usually uses a bumper held in with a small machine screw so this would need to be drilled and tapped into the new weight bolt also.

Dick