Need advise on replacing tips

Rverend H

START WITH A GOOD RACK
Silver Member
Need sum advice on replacing tips on my newly obtained cues. I just picked up 2 custom cues this week. a AE & a Wes Hunter. The Hunter never looked to have been played.(made in 06) And the AE has 1 shaft that has for sure been played. I do want to play these cues and don't know if I should automatically change tips after buying them.
Do they go bad by just the age? Do I just Play them?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two tips on the outer shafts I would replace. The one on the left appears to have pock marks in it for some reason. The one on the far right seems to have an odd taper in the sides of it based on what I see in the picture. Aside from that, someone else would have to speak on the nature of 'old' tips. I imagine they would have to be very old for that to be an issue. Maybe play with them and see if they suit your game, then make a personal, educated decision based on their play?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't change because of their age. Play with them. If you like the hardness, I would stick with them. I would only change if you did not like how they perform.

Rverend H

START WITH A GOOD RACK
Silver Member
I just double checked the last tip and its the lighting. It has the same shape as the third one.
Any time I get a new cue, the shop here in town says I need change the tip if its more than a year old.
Thought I would get more opinions .
Thanks

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Any time I get a new cue, the shop here in town says I need change the tip if its more than a year old.

I'd say the same thing if I made my living installing tips :D

A tip needs replacing if you don't like the way it plays -- doesn't matter if it's been on for 10 years or 10 minutes.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
play with them, then shape to your taste and then play some more. and then replace them if you desire. after all they are your shafts.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go see Pete at Pete Billards. Let him do a nice shape on them; he'll tell you if you need to replace them and he carries just about every brand. He's a straight shooter. Good guy.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put my cues away for 5 years+ at 1 time. Before I did that I had new tips put on. When I went to shoot with them again they had dried out and become very hard. Also the glue deteriorated on them. I would suggest to put new tips on.