Need help with LD shafts...

Dilligaf

Registered
Well I would first like to thank everyone for giving me a min of your time. I have been using a McDermott cue with a plain maple shaft for years, the shat has a pro tapper and is about 12.0-11.5 not 100%. So I have now decided to get myself a ld shaft, after all my research I would like to try an ob shaft. Im just not sure which one would best resemble my maple shaft. I'm uncertain what ob's "modified conical tapper" is.
Any ideas and help would be great.
Thanks, Eric

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Well I would first like to thank everyone for giving me a min of your time. I have been using a McDermott cue with a plain maple shaft for years, the shat has a pro tapper and is about 12.0-11.5 not 100%. So I have now decided to get myself a ld shaft, after all my research I would like to try an ob shaft. Im just not sure which one would best resemble my maple shaft. I'm uncertain what ob's "modified conical tapper" is.
Any ideas and help would be great.
Thanks, Eric
I think you will like any of the OB shafts, but you should try them all before making a decision.

Dilligaf

Registered
I think you will like any of the OB shafts, but you should try them all before making a decision.

well im in new hamphire, and I cant seem to find a ob dealer that's close to try any of them, that was my first thought.

Thks

twal

"W"
Silver Member
So I have now decided to get myself a ld shaft, after all my research I would like to try an ob shaft. Im just not sure which one would best resemble my maple shaft. I'm uncertain what ob's "modified conical tapper"

The conical taper feels different than a pro taper. The Claasic is going to be the closet to a standard shaft. LD properties and still most of the feel.
I have to ask, why OB if you have never shot with one?

My first thought when you said you wanted something like the shaft you have is that you just get a G Core from McDermott. Honestly they are a great fit for what you are looking for. Very similar to your standard shaft but with some LD properties.

I am sure you know ther other most popular LD on the market, so why OB?
Your journey with LD shafts are about to begin :)

Good luck with your search, they all feel just a little different and they perform just a little different from each other. After 10 years I finally have settled on just what feels best to me and not caring so much about what deflects the cue ball the least.

Dilligaf

Registered
The conical taper feels different than a pro taper. The Claasic is going to be the closet to a standard shaft. LD properties and still most of the feel.
I have to ask, why OB if you have never shot with one?

My first thought when you said you wanted something like the shaft you have is that you just get a G Core from McDermott. Honestly they are a great fit for what you are looking for. Very similar to your standard shaft but with some LD properties.

I am sure you know ther other most popular LD on the market, so why OB?
Your journey with LD shafts are about to begin :)

Good luck with your search, they all feel just a little different and they perform just a little different from each other. After 10 years I finally have settled on just what feels best to me and not caring so much about what deflects the cue ball the least.
Why on? It seemed to me that they might have the best hit and feedback compared to a soild maple shaft. And yes I do know that my trip has just began.
Thks

mattbowen61990

Registered
What diameter is the end of your shaft now? What I have found with my schon, is that I took it down to 12 mm and it shoots pretty darn straight. I have a predator Z2 that I previously shot with but the taper just was not for me. It is too thick 1" away from the tip. Doesn't allow the straight smooth stroke that a standard taper does.

Dilligaf

Registered
What diameter is the end of your shaft now? What I have found with my schon, is that I took it down to 12 mm and it shoots pretty darn straight. I have a predator Z2 that I previously shot with but the taper just was not for me. It is too thick 1" away from the tip. Doesn't allow the straight smooth stroke that a standard taper does.

I have also had my shaft taken down its around 11.75mm, I have been shooting with it for 3 yrs now, it has a pro tapper. I wonder if you could turn down an OB classic to 11.75mm I think that might be my ticket.

mattbowen61990

Registered
Its probably the same as the Z shaft, As long as you don't go too small it wont bother it, but then again, if you are going to shave it down mite as well just look into buying another shaft, The low deflection isn't that big of a deal, If you like masse shots those are very hard with the LD shafts, I have been shooting with my 12 mm schon shaft the past few days and it is what I want. Schon stock shafts have a ton of deflection, but by shaving it down to 12mm I would be willing to bet that I cut that deflection by at least 75% it shoots dead straight.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Get a ob there great I've had my classic for while now and love it feel hit control its great shaft