Need help with some Diamond options

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond rack

I just found out the Diamond CR-1 Triangle can't be notched because it's double walled or hollow.

It will also flex out when trying to get a tight rack. The pool room has these and have had numerous complaints about them. Not a fan.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro vs Pro-am......

I have owned both, moved and set them up several times myself with a few friends. If you are buying the cart with the one piece its a no-brainer. I don't like waiting for someone else to do things and taking a chance on them screwing something up.(4 guys on a first floor install/removal takes an hour at most) And that includes leveling! Yes, its a pain to go up and down a few steps, but with a little planning and home-made ramps its pretty easy.

I don't see the point of buying a table without a ball return. Just makes playing easier all around. Would you choose to pay money to play on a table with a ball return or one without given the choice at a pool hall........? I have never heard anyone complain about having a ball return......

Pro-cut 4.5 pockets if you consider yourself a player that wants to improve. .25 doesn't seem like much, but there is a big difference in pattern play and shot making in there especially in rotation games where your options are limited when you step to the table......... If you just want a nice table and you are buying it for the family bigger pockets are fine.

Legs on pro vs pro am....... The pro am seems more solid to me. a little more sturdy if you will. I have never hit my legs or knees on either and I'm 6'2". (never had any friends say anything either) Diamond is a great product. You may wait awhile to get what you order, but that is part of the experience!! Good luck and congrats on buying one. You will never regret it. Doc

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious also. I wonder why you would want 3 piece slate over 1 piece, especially if you have a one story house?

I did the Diamond factory tour recently with a fellow who was in the business of moving & setting up tables. He said that his company would not move one piece slates because of the risk of damaging them.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well they did... kind of

"The plastic Diamond rack is pretty good."

It works well, but why didn't Diamond put the center notch in the mold?

If you look closely, you'll see that the Diamond logo on the back of the rack - the side that faces the racker - includes a "pointer" molded into the rack that is there to serve the same purpose.

BTW, Greg Sullivan explained to me the way he racks the balls. First of all, he has a line drawn on the cloth straight back from the foot spot. It helps when spotting balls and when racking. The "pointer" is aligned to this drawn line. That centers the rack perfectly. Now he also has a very small line drawn perpendicular across the spotting line. So when the "pointer" is aligned to this second line, the back of rack is placed perfectly too.

So naturally, the same technique will work with the wooden rack and its notch.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what ever you get you will become used to and think it was the right choice anyway.
go with bigger pockets. small ones are less fun unless you are driven to wanting to pocket balls better.
with the bigger pockets you can do the same by concentrating on the center of the pocket which is what you are supposed to do anyway..
get the hr cloth.
only thing i can think of additional is to make sure you get right is your house sticks as many still come in 57 inch length instead of 58 so make sure of what you get.
and be sure of cloth color.

and i agree on 3 piece as if you do sell or store it someplace if you move, it wont fit in many houses and the average mover wont be able to move it.

bmeek

Registered
For the bridge I would look at the Kamui, it is expensive and worth it.

I bought an Anniversary with drop pockets with the idea that I would covert it to ball return and I quickly realized how superior drop pockets are to ball return. Easier on the knees and back, can break from either side of the table, one pocket is less of a chore, and for a guy who scratches as much as me it's quicker to grab the cue ball.

4.5" pockets on a Diamond are tough, if friends and family is using it, I would go bigger.

Empty403

Registered
I like your choices!

-Don't pay extra for a Diamond bridge. They suck. The head spins on them by design. Horrible. Super unstable when you are using it.

I was referring to the Diamond wire bridge holders for both sides of the table. I just found out my dealer includes a mini play package which will include generic cues and a bridge stick.

Because it is my wife that is pushing for the table, I did select the 4.75'' "League Pockets".

Empty403

Registered
what ever you get you will become used to and think it was the right choice anyway.
go with bigger pockets. small ones are less fun unless you are driven to wanting to pocket balls better.
with the bigger pockets you can do the same by concentrating on the center of the pocket which is what you are supposed to do anyway..
get the hr cloth.
only thing i can think of additional is to make sure you get right is your house sticks as many still come in 57 inch length instead of 58 so make sure of what you get.
and be sure of cloth color.

and i agree on 3 piece as if you do sell or store it someplace if you move, it wont fit in many houses and the average mover wont be able to move it.

Thanks for the feedback. I did go with the 4.75" pockets. I just found out the table does come with a basic play package. My wife and I do have our own sticks. If the house cues are shorter we'll eventually purchase some entry level cues for our guests.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. I did go with the 4.75" pockets. I just found out the table does come with a basic play package. My wife and I do have our own sticks. If the house cues are shorter we'll eventually purchase some entry level cues for our guests.

I’m too late here, but I would’ve gone with 4.5” pockets.

It’ll make you a better player if you play on other tables, either in a league or tournaments. And more importantly, it’ll make you seem like a pool god when your less practiced buddies come over to play. :grin:

It’s hard to argue with keeping the missus happy though!

RoadRash57

Registered
Curious also. I wonder why you would want 3 piece slate over 1 piece, especially if you have a one story house?

For insurance - easier to sell the table if necessary. You can move a 3-piece table to a non-walkout basement or upper level.

Costs the same and plays the same.

Empty403

Registered
Thank you all for all your suggestions and input. These were our final option selections. I believe the Diamond factory will be opening soon so it's obvious there will be a backlog and longer wait times. A plus, is this gives me time to receive the light and personally install it and the wiring.

Color: Black PRC with black Maple for the rest of the panels. If Dymalux Charcoal was available, I would have chosen that as I don't mind the imperfections/streaks. IMO, it makes the wood look more realistic.

Legs: Style 2: Square legs with the polished aluminum pedestals.

Pocket Size: 4.75" and if we get too good :rolleyes:, we'll have the pockets shimmed

Slate: 3 piece

Cloth: Tournament Blue and leaning towards the 860HR

Table Light: Littman 7 foot light - Black maple

Bridge Holder: Diamond wire bridge holders on both sides of the table

Triangle: Diamond CR1 Triangle

Cover: Black Table cover with silver logo

House Cues: 4 Qty 1 piece 58" house cues comes with the table

Ball Polisher: Not ordered, hand cleaning for now

Bridge: Comes with play package

Table Brush: Simonis X-1 Cloth Cleaner (haven't ordered)

Balls: Cyclops Hyperion (already purchased)

Cue Rack: Black "Imperial Wall Rack Deluxe Wall Rack" 6 cue holder from Amazon (already purchased)