New cue building concept?

chicagomike

Play with an Ed Young cue
Silver Member
Last night I was out and a cue collector approached me to show me his latest aquisition. It was a nice looking cue, but what was unique was the construction. It was the predator low deflection shaft concept, but the entire cue appeared to be constructed of the pie shaped laminations that are bonded together as i've only seen in shafts. The logo on the butt was a "D" that appeared to be done in diamond dust.
Just curious of anyone has played with a cue like this and if anyone has comments on any possible advantages or disadvantages to this construction.
Seems to me laminated peices below the joint of the cue would decrease the solidity and feel of the hit compared to solid wood construction. Also I wonder if the cue have more or less chance of warping. Just some thoughts as I did not get a chance to play with the cue.

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
chicagomike said:
Last night I was out and a cue collector approached me to show me his latest aquisition. It was a nice looking cue, but what was unique was the construction. It was the predator low deflection shaft concept, but the entire cue appeared to be constructed of the pie shaped laminations that are bonded together as i've only seen in shafts. The logo on the butt was a "D" that appeared to be done in diamond dust.
Just curious of anyone has played with a cue like this and if anyone has comments on any possible advantages or disadvantages to this construction.
Seems to me laminated peices below the joint of the cue would decrease the solidity and feel of the hit compared to solid wood construction. Also I wonder if the cue have more or less chance of warping. Just some thoughts as I did not get a chance to play with the cue.

I would say that is a Dominiak (www.dominiakcues.com). Radial laminated butts are not so uncommon and Dominiak has some models done like that.
Even if you can't tell from the outside, many cues are cored with radial laminated dowels also.

johnf_34

JF - Fitz Cues!!
Silver Member
Kent Davis also does a radially laminated butt for some of his cues....pretty interesting when done with a highly figured wood.

chicagomike

Play with an Ed Young cue
Silver Member
Thanks for the information. It's great to have so many informed people on hand to help.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Multi piece cues

chicagomike said:
I don't know about playability or feel, but from the lil woodworking experience I have, I would say it would last longer from warping with the pie shaped pieces glued together. That is the main reason i purchased my first Predator shaft.
If ya have one I hope the hit is to your liking.

railfirst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a dominiak with a laminated butt and i must say with the radial pin and the D2 shaft it plays awesome if anyone would like to take the cue for a spin i am trying to rid of it http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=106737 it plays awesome but it was out of my hands for a while and i fell in love with my schon so now it just sits in my case.

Ben

hard english

Registered
chicagomike said:

I have Dominak wd1090 (pict below) which is the sweet16 model with inlays. BTW, a sweet16 is only $250 and it comes with the Dominator D2 shaft (also radial laminated) - a bargain. The Predator P2 (the same type construction) $800. Dominiak produces his own maple (he's been doing it for twenty years) that's why he can offer such low pricing. Not only that, he also can select from the best of the best maple to construct his cues. I might add, he's been doing radial laminated cues and shafts for over seven years and has been building cues for more than fifteen years (learned cuemaking from Leonard Bludworth).

You said that you think that a radial laminated would not hit as solid as a solid wood construction. I think the opposite (just my opinion). The radial sections in the Dominiak are quarter sawn - this means the grain is vertical in each section. If you think about a baseball bat, the baseball players always swing the bat with the label up. This means the grain the wood is running horizontal to the ground - meaning when the bat makes contact with the ball its going with the grain the strongest part of the bat.

So, with the Dominiak cue construction it is going to be extremely solid (I can testify to that). In my opinion this type construction also gives better feel and feedback.

Attachments

• 1090_lace.jpg
    1090_lace.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 225