New Cuetec Shaft

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That isn’t the reason they’re making the joint larger. A Cuetec butt isn’t all that expensive. It has more to do with being able to offer shafts for other cues besides their own. Cuetec has a small joint diameter vs the rest of the market.

Yup. I just measured an R360 and it's .790/.793 (shaft/butt) at the joint. I don't know whether that's standard for them, but it's certainly smaller than most joints.

[And another possibility -- maybe they feel their carbon fiber shaft plays better with a little more thickness at the joint.]

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Yup. I just measured an R360 and it's .790/.793 (shaft/butt) at the joint. I don't know whether that's standard for them, but it's certainly smaller than most joints.

[And another possibility -- maybe they feel their carbon fiber shaft plays better with a little more thickness at the joint.]

They won’t want to make different joint diameters for all cues. They aren’t working with wood, so it’s in their best interests to make a standard joint diameter that closely resembles other manufacturers, to capture the “want Revo without the pricetag” business. They will probably go to a joint diameter of .840, as that will fit the vast majority of other butts. This way, they only need one blank, and can add different joint types.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I get that but why wouldn't it fit existing Cuetec cues with their joint if not for wanting you to buy a new butt as well?

Because they figure you’re willing to buy a $60 butt to get a distinct savings on what will most likely be around a $300 shaft. And, as I pointed out, they will take a lot of Predator business if they make a Uniloc and radial version with an .840 joint. So, it’s in their best interests to increase the joint diameter of their cues.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along with all the cynical interpretations, there is also the possibility that they actually mean what they said—that for technical reasons relating to carbon fiber shafts the joint has to be a different size.

For example, the only other carbon fiber shaft maker in the market (BeCue) does not make a CF shaft with a tip smaller than 11.8 mm (on their conical taper shaft) and 12.0 mm (on their pro taper shaft) because they say a smaller diameter shaft does not play as well in carbon fiber.

Obviously, I do not know the reasoning behind Cuetec’s decision, but it might actually be for sound engineering reasons. Just a thought.

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Cuetec cue?

Seriously people?

Or do you want to go fishing after you play???

have you played with one for a longer time (having fiberglass coating)?
I mainly use their Snooker shaft. It rocks beyond. it stays just _clean_ . dings are less of an issue.