I really don't have any knowled of the problems the owner was having with the rent and the people who owned the building. If that was the case, I feel sorry for him.
I don't live near Hagerstown and I only went there to see tournaments.
I always liked that room. As you said, the food was good, but the restrooms sucked.
Also, the last time I was there, the tears in the rug were so large, the duct tape patches could no longer hold them together. It was also so cold that everyone had to keep their coats on.
Maybe the high rent prevented the room owner from making the necessary improvements, but, on the other hand, if the place was in better shape and the environment was more comfortable, business would be better and maybe he could have afforded the high rents.
I don't mean to be judgemental, but there are a lot of issues involved when a room goes down and all of them have to be considered.