New Pro-Cut Pocket and DEEP SHELVED Slate on a Brunswick Gold Crown, Anniversary or Centennial !!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

BACK TO THE ORIGINA POST :)

New Pro-Cut Pocket and DEEP SHELVED Slate on a Brunswick Gold Crown, Anniversary or Centennial !!!!​

I have been asked by quite a few people to "diamondize" a GC, Anny & Centennial over the past 9 years and I decided to do it.

I am having sets of slate cut that are diamond dimensions with Brunswick bolt hole patterns.

So in essence, I am making the option available to buy my restorations that will be very, very close to a Diamond. In fact, if I use Artemis Cushions the difference, in my opinion, will barely be quantifiable.

Anyone with actual experience doing this with actual sets of slate cut and drilled professionally, please chime in with your experience?

I am currently working on a GC3 that will have these slates and I am going with Brunswick Superspeed and just the procut pocket with matching slate,

Thanks !

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Slates are being patterned, cut and drilled! EXCITED! The slate upgrade will be very reasonable. I will post all the details with pics once we have our first project installed! A couple weeks out :)

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
SO, after measuring the slate I took in vs a regular set of Brunswick Slate the shelf is 1/8 deeper. Does this seem right? I have not said go on cutting them yet, WHAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THIS SAY??
TFT

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
: ) anticipating the outcome when we set it up! :)

TFT

Attachments

• 9c4499cc6e0846d4dce88a8dc19165aca89e6842-1.jpg
    9c4499cc6e0846d4dce88a8dc19165aca89e6842-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 125

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Sorry for the delays! The slate company got very backed up. They are a small company with limited help, they are now on track to complete our custom slates this week! fingers crossed!

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If thicker slate is better why not go with 1 1/2" thick slate or something similar?? One could do that on a GC because that rails bolt to the slate then everything connects to the rails, correct??? Or is there something I am missing??

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If thicker slate is better why not go with 1 1/2" thick slate or something similar?? One could do that on a GC because that rails bolt to the slate then everything connects to the rails, correct??? Or is there something I am missing??
I have never noticed the need for thicker slate?? just changing the slate shelf depth to make the pocket play tougher. :)

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have never noticed the need for thicker slate?? just changing the slate shelf depth to make the pocket play tougher. :)

TFT
I just wondered because people were recently talking about a table on here with 2" slate about how the balls roll so quiet and jump easier. I was just thinking out loud. Don't snooker and Chinese Pool pool tables have thick slate?? I also read on here that some GC's had 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" thick slate, I don't know if its true or not.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I just wondered because people were recently talking about a table on here with 2" slate about how the balls roll so quiet and jump easier. I was just thinking out loud. Don't snooker and Chinese Pool pool tables have thick slate?? I also read on here that some GC's had 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" thick slate, I don't know if its true or not.
Diamond slate is a bit thicker, I saw that post about the 2" slate. I dont think that is really relevant to pool in its current state. Does the ball need to jump "eaiser" is my first question. my second: if it aint broke, third , this is an OPINION: Craig Connelly is TOXIC to the pool industry, he thinks he is going to make a come back. I will announce right here and now : HE IS A LOSER AND A THIEF....

Brunswick, Diamond, Rasson and Predator know enough about pool and they aint following that dingle berry down ANY road. The BCA let him dictate the specs for pool tables in tournaments, guess what: HE DON'T EVEN PLAY POOL!!!! DONE, with this topic!

Fastone371, WE are always cool, but, that guy will NEVER KNOW WHAT COOL IS!

:) TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Diamond slate is a bit thicker, I saw that post about the 2" slate. I dont think that is really relevant to pool in its current state. Does the ball need to jump "eaiser" is my first question. my second: if it aint broke, third , this is an OPINION: Craig Connelly is TOXIC to the pool industry, he thinks he is going to make a come back. I will announce right here and now : HE IS A LOSER AND A THIEF....

Brunswick, Diamond, Rasson and Predator know enough about pool and they aint following that dingle berry down ANY road. The BCA let him dictate the specs for pool tables in tournaments, guess what: HE DON'T EVEN PLAY POOL!!!! DONE, with this topic!

Got it, thanks for the info!!!! I am now well informed. :):)

I was just curious because if it thicker slate was such a great idea there would probably be more tables with thicker slate.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Got it, thanks for the info!!!! I am now well informed. :):)

I was just curious because if it thicker slate was such a great idea there would probably be more tables with thicker slate.
Cost and weight are probably the biggest reasons that thicker slate is not more common.

Timkrieger

Wow, what's the back story here in regards to Craig? That's pretty strong words. The only thing I know about that guy is he had the guts to start a pool table company when Brunswick was the goliath in the industry. Goliath was producing junk and he found a market for high quality, American made tables. His tables seemed to have a strong reputation for quality construction. He attempted to do a re-organization in bankruptcy and, through no fault of his, the valuable company that he built got sold by the bankruptcy trustee as an asset. If that guy can make a comeback into the industry, I'd root for him, I like to see people get back up after getting knocked down. I have the Connelly 2" slate six leg ultimate, setting it up this weekend. I also have a 10' Centennial and a 9' Anniversary both w/ Mark Gregory rails and 4.5" pockets. I think all tables play a little different, but to me, that's part of fun. I like modifying tables to make them play better/tougher when desired, it's a good idea, but I think cloning all tables to play the exact same isn't a great idea. I like Diamonds, the 7 footers are a blast to play on! But, as a fan of the history of billiards and appreciating the art of the vintage tables, when it comes to looks, Diamonds seem to be the Honda of pool tables in my opinion.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Wow, what's the back story here in regards to Craig? That's pretty strong words. The only thing I know about that guy is he had the guts to start a pool table company when Brunswick was the goliath in the industry. Goliath was producing junk and he found a market for high quality, American made tables. His tables seemed to have a strong reputation for quality construction. He attempted to do a re-organization in bankruptcy and, through no fault of his, the valuable company that he built got sold by the bankruptcy trustee as an asset. If that guy can make a comeback into the industry, I'd root for him, I like to see people get back up after getting knocked down. I have the Connelly 2" slate six leg ultimate, setting it up this weekend. I also have a 10' Centennial and a 9' Anniversary both w/ Mark Gregory rails and 4.5" pockets. I think all tables play a little different, but to me, that's part of fun. I like modifying tables to make them play better/tougher when desired, it's a good idea, but I think cloning all tables to play the exact same isn't a great idea. I like Diamonds, the 7 footers are a blast to play on! But, as a fan of the history of billiards and appreciating the art of the vintage tables, when it comes to looks, Diamonds seem to be the Honda of pool tables in my opinion.
i have met the guy, he is a sack of dung. we all have our opinions now dont we?? Have a nice day!

TFT

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering how this project is going. I was thinking of someday completing my Anniversary upgrade with new slates, and the deeper shelf corners would be perfect. I have original pinned slate that was repaired in two places where someone obviously lifted up on the slates before separating. The repair was done to a fairly high standard, but not perfect by any means.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Just wondering how this project is going. I was thinking of someday completing my Anniversary upgrade with new slates, and the deeper shelf corners would be perfect. I have original pinned slate that was repaired in two places where someone obviously lifted up on the slates before separating. The repair was done to a fairly high standard, but not perfect by any means.
You know I got you covered if you want to do this at some point. the only issue I see with you is: the down angle in the pocket needs to be adjusted to accompany the new shelf depth. Neither of your sets of rails will accommodate the new slate properly :(

As for the project as a whole, I am on hold. There has been an AVOIDABLE and unfortunate accident at the slate company(they are a JOKE)... They cut the new slates properly with the deeper shelf.... Basically, I waited months for this guy to make the dumbest mistake ever= they cut diamond bolt hole patterns rather than BRUNSWICK.

Yeah, they literally copied the set I brought.... Not what I ordered and now he is OUT ALL THAT TIME AND MONEY.

Then it gets good: he tells me: oh I messed up, you should have written this all down before I cut and drilled them!!!??? Then went on to say: we can just drill holes around the others.... I could have done that myself a YEAR ago..... If I wanted a set of HACKED UP slate, it would have been easy. Our plan never included doing this the hack route. I was beside myself. RIDICULOUS. After the new year I will start over. I am having a VERY important meeting with a source for the slate that wont fail! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!! TO BE CONTINUED!

TFT

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update and sorry that you are having to go through this. I think I’ll probably just go back to plan A and just get the slate replaced with new standard Brunswick cut slate, or a good set of original Anniversary slates.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks for the update and sorry that you are having to go through this. I think I’ll probably just go back to plan A and just get the slate replaced with new standard Brunswick cut slate, or a good set of original Anniversary slates.
I already have the price for new from Brunswick direct, let me know if you need to order :)

TFT