New standardized rule!

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
Ok..............a rule that should be a MUST.
If you put your hand in the pocket to catch a ball that might scratch, then it IS A SCRATCH. Period! I don't want to hear that "it wasn't going to go" BS. If your little paw goes grabbin at the pocket, you just said "I scratched". If it wasn't going to go, that's your problem.

mindtriplx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isnt that a 14.1 rule. if you grab the cue ball you lose a couple points. i heard that somewhere.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I found it only in this section:

6. 14.1 Continuous
...6.7 RULES OF PLAY
...5. A player may not catch, touch, or in any way interfere with a ball as it travels toward a pocket or the rack area on a shot (to include catching a ball as it enters a pocket by having a hand in the pocket). Doing so is a special "deliberate foul" and is penalized one point for the foul and an additional 15 point penalty, for a total of 16 points. ...

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
Am I reading you wrong Joe?

I think what Joe is talking about is when someone thinks it might scratch, puts his hand in the pocket, and then when they realize that it may not scratch they pull there hand out. The problem is when they almost pull it out to late and you are wondering if they actually did touch it or not, and maybe prevent it from scratching.

If that is the case I don't believe there is a rule anywhere about it. You just have to count on there honesty. This would be one of those instances that you would like to have a referee around cause if they say they didn't touch it, your done. Since most tournaments I've been to, if there is a dispute the decision goes to the shooter.

If there was a rule like Joe is wanting then you would just need an observer who is willing to say, "he reached in the pocket".

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:
Am I reading you wrong Joe?

I think what Joe is talking about is when someone thinks it might scratch, puts his hand in the pocket, and then when they realize that it may not scratch they pull there hand out. The problem is when they almost pull it out to late and you are wondering if they actually did touch it or not, and maybe prevent it from scratching.

If that is the case I don't believe there is a rule anywhere about it. You just have to count on there honesty. This would be one of those instances that you would like to have a referee around cause if they say they didn't touch it, your done. Since most tournaments I've been to, if there is a dispute the decision goes to the shooter.

If there was a rule like Joe is wanting then you would just need an observer who is willing to say, "he reached in the pocket".

This is EXACTLY waht I'm saying
Thanks Cap

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
Ok..............a rule that should be a MUST.
If you put your hand in the pocket to catch a ball that might scratch, then it IS A SCRATCH...

I agree this should be a rule for all games. It would save a lot of arguments.

I'm forever advising players to NOT put their hand in the pocket ever! I say let the ball drop.

And the reason is that sometimes the ball will not scratch, your oponent is behind you and can't see what you are doing, and it looks like you prevented the ball from falling into the pocket.

Then the argument starts...

But I guess this is a hard habit to break. Or some people need to learn the hard way.