New to Break/Jump Cues, Please Help!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, still a new pool player, despite my advanced years. I just received my first break/jump cue and I don't know where to start.

I got the Lucasi L-2000JB Break Jump Cue. (I ordered it from billiards.com; was $266 on Jan 10th when I ordered it, now it's up to $329, so I guess I lucked out.)

It's very nicely made. It has a standard maple shaft with a phenolic tip, and there are two Uni-Loc joints. It's the "standard" 19 oz. model, mine weighs in at 18.8 oz.

So, when using as a jump cue, do I use the middle section and shaft, or the end butt and shaft without the middle section?

Thanks,

jv

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The middle section because you need the but end of the jump cue to be significantly lighter than the (foreshortened) butt would be.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Typically the middle section, but I sometimes use the longer section or jump full cue with my old j&j.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first jump cue I used the extension part and not the middle and it jumped pretty good. I didn't know any better at that point. I mostly did it because when I was using the middle section on a jump break I felt like it was too short. I use a 3 piece Lomax jumper now and have a dedicated breaker that doesn't break down.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, still a new pool player, despite my advanced years. I just received my first break/jump cue and I don't know where to start.

I got the Lucasi L-2000JB Break Jump Cue. (I ordered it from billiards.com; was $266 on Jan 10th when I ordered it, now it's up to $329, so I guess I lucked out.)

It's very nicely made. It has a standard maple shaft with a phenolic tip, and there are two Uni-Loc joints. It's the "standard" 19 oz. model, mine weighs in at 18.8 oz.

So, when using as a jump cue, do I use the middle section and shaft, or the end butt and shaft without the middle section?

Thanks,

jv
I'd put a WhiteDiamond tip on it. Just as much power but far better control.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd put a WhiteDiamond tip on it. Just as much power but far better control.
Thanks. Now that I have it, I realize that, since my slightly-used Lucasi custom cue came with three shafts, I could have just put a phenolic tip, or WhiteDiamond tip on one of those shafts and I would have been all set for breaking. For jumping, I really have to learn and practice more before I can comment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Now that I have it, I realize that, since my slightly-used Lucasi custom cue came with three shafts, I could have just put a phenolic tip, or WhiteDiamond tip on one of those shafts and I would have been all set for breaking. For jumping, I really have to learn and practice more before I can comment.

Changing the shafts of your playing cue to break will get annoying fast. Also will give you odd looks from people.