New to me Gold Crown II

CraigB

I just purchased this Gold Crown II from a guy that had it for seven years and his dad had it for around 25 years before him. I think it's I've very nice condition considering it's age. So I am not going to restore it and have it setup by a guy who did a setup for a friend. I think it looks really good and will have a little patina to it. He has been doing tables for around 27 years, so I think I'm good on that.

I have felt all of the rails and they all seem to have equally spongy rubber and no hard spots so he said he recommends to use them. I will be having new Simonis felt installed most likely in Electric blue. Need to read up on different types to choose from.

If there are any other things I may need to know/do before install day please let me know. I plan to clean up the score wheels so any tips on how and what to use on them will be appreciated, as will any othe do or do not tips. I'll post some pics here.

I'm having errors on the remaining pics "the uploaded file is too large for the server to process so I'll try to resize them and add later when I have access to a computer and not on my phone.

Attachments

• 20230820_220629.jpg
    20230820_220629.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 76

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
860HR is pretty much the best Simonis cloth for your application.
You can remove the score wheels pretty easily, just clean them up with simple green or something similar. If the little metal springs that hold them are still there, you are lucky!

CraigB

OK I finally had a moment to resize pics so lets try again. The frame on this beat is massive compared to some others I looked at. And the under slate boards that the felt staples onto are all hardwood and look to be poplar. All of the bolts are in gallon zip lock backs labeled and he put L's in sharlie on the slate holes where the longer screws go. Hopefully the mechanic will have an easy time putting the puzzle back together.

And I guess I'm lucky as all of the springs look to be in place on the score wheels.
20230820_120251.jpg
20230820_220433.jpg
20230820_220445.jpg
20230820_220427.jpg
20230820_220538.jpg
20230820_215644.jpg

Last edited:

CraigB

I polished the feet up on one end last night just to clean them up a little. The top pic is before brasso and fine steel wool.
20230829_200632.jpg
20230829_200533.jpg

CraigB

This one has all solid wood on rails and skirts. I looked at another on a month ago in Charlotte NC and one of the top rails had damage and you could tell it was particle board under the veneer. And the skirts you could look under and see the particle board. The Logo emblem looked identical though so possibly it was a lower end model?

CraigB

Anyone know what the code numbers mean, like is it a date code? Looks like E00T EJV 8 . Also looks to be the original wood rack?
20230821_201504.jpg

20230821_201130.jpg

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
This one has all solid wood on rails and skirts. I looked at another on a month ago in Charlotte NC and one of the top rails had damage and you could tell it was particle board under the veneer. And the skirts you could look under and see the particle board. The Logo emblem looked identical though so possibly it was a lower end model?
Your table is in excellent condition :D:D

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Your table is in excellent condition :D:D
Barring the red cloth. I hope its getting more of a proper color in the near future. It makes me feel kinda sorry for the table that it has endure being "dressed" in red. Looks good on a girl but not so much on a table. Good luck with the new table.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The feet can be polished out to look like this if you want to put in the effort. I think yours are supposed be gold on a GCII.
1693502745060.png

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
That cloth was NOT properly installed on the rails. Hopefully they didn't glue it. It's no fun getting that glue off if they did.

20230821_201130-jpg.716514

CraigB

What do you observe that let's you know it was improperly installed? I'd like to know things to look out for or ask about when the installer comes out. Tha ks!

CraigB

Barring the red cloth. I hope its getting more of a proper color in the near future. It makes me feel kinda sorry for the table that it has endure being "dressed" in red. Looks good on a girl but not so much on a table. Good luck with the new table.
I am wanting to get it covered in Electric blue with the 860HR cloth if that color is available. If not then probably the tournament blue I guess. I'm also partial to the burgundy actually as I am a SC Gamecock fan 🙃

CraigB

Ok my local installer just messaged me and says simonis 860HR cloth is on back order and he is not able to source it through his supplier. Anyone have a source for this in Electric blue first choice or tournament blue second choice for an 8 foot table?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bronze, which is the color they are. Unless he's going to polish all the metal work, I'd love them alone. They were more of a matte/semi gloss finish from the factory anyway.
I agree. A lot of people want to polish them, often they end up looking worse unless you put in a lot of effort to make them like chrome. Its a lot of work, I can see why people don't follow thru on the complete polish job. It was similar to whenever I polished the wheels on our race car, I got one finished and it would look great but at the same time I was sorry I started because it was a lot of work to finish the rest and make them match.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What table is that in your pic, and did it come in the two tone white/wood like that?
Its a Gold Crown I (Model AR6100 on the Brunswick tag on the stringer). It was originally all white, my wife helped me stain the rail blinds and the ends of the legs, the center of the legs was painted in a regular white instead of the off white Brunswick used.
This is the table in original condition the way we bought it.
1693592343876.png

CraigB

I agree. A lot of people want to polish them, often they end up looking worse unless you put in a lot of effort to make them like chrome. Its a lot of work, I can see why people don't follow thru on the complete polish job. It was similar to whenever I polished the wheels on our race car, I got one finished and it would look great but at the same time I was sorry I started because it was a lot of work to finish the rest and make them match.
Well if I can't find some new felt I may do some restoration on it. I've got a lot of paint and body, wood working tools and polishing equipment so the feet would not take a ton of time. I may buff out the pocket covers idk yet.