New way for handicapping tournaments?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all know those players who don't like giving up games, especially in today's times

of Fargorate. It seems that every tournament is handicapped somehow. I just saw a flyer

for a tournament that is a race to 5, entry is based on your fargorate. The top guns get a

shot without giving up games and the financial risk is lower to the players not on the level

with the top echelon players. I see it as a compromise, and the new players have a way

to see how they really match up with others. Would you take money odds in a tournament? I

guess we will see how this goes.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do see some events do this. When I tried it in a local tournament it did not work very well. The issue is ego. Even if the tournament is $10 to enter and you get free table time all night, I see players willing to pay $20 for table time rather than compete against other players that are or may be better than them.

Another issue is the known player base. I don't really like that many of the better players in my area or even the lower level players that play in tournaments a lot, too many are just out to win even if they lie about their skill. I would not play $20 to play an A player I think is a jerk even if that A player had to play $100 to play me. Or play against a C player that I know is a B even if it's an even race.

Now if you give me a new room with possibly great players or something like the Joss tour, I would not mind paying the same as the better players, as long as I knew what I was getting into.

Just being able to play better players won't really help people, aside from maybe learning how they feel when competing. You can watch good players on a video tape and listen to commentary, you don't need to watch them in person shoot to learn from them, unless you are getting a lesson from them.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
We all know those players who don't like giving up games, especially in today's times

of Fargorate. It seems that every tournament is handicapped somehow. I just saw a flyer

for a tournament that is a race to 5, entry is based on your fargorate. The top guns get a

shot without giving up games and the financial risk is lower to the players not on the level

with the top echelon players. I see it as a compromise, and the new players have a way

to see how they really match up with others. Would you take money odds in a tournament? I

guess we will see how this goes.

Have seen that for a long time. It's a great idea for the good players, terrible idea for the bad players.

A 580 Fargo will NEVER beat Shane in a race to 9 no matter what odds he gets and I'm sure the $$$ difference in entry fee isn't anywhere close to the odds it should be.

Good thing is, is people are very bad at math and reason.

If you dont care about the $$$ and just wanna play, then it's great for the weaker players and good experience.

Considering how cheap pool players are though....
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I do see some events do this. When I tried it in a local tournament it did not work very well. The issue is ego. Even if the tournament is $10 to enter and you get free table time all night, I see players willing to pay $20 for table time rather than compete against other players that are or may be better than them.

Another issue is the known player base. I don't really like that many of the better players in my area or even the lower level players that play in tournaments a lot, too many are just out to win even if they lie about their skill. I would not play $20 to play an A player I think is a jerk even if that A player had to play $100 to play me. Or play against a C player that I know is a B even if it's an even race.

Now if you give me a new room with possibly great players or something like the Joss tour, I would not mind paying the same as the better players, as long as I knew what I was getting into.

Just being able to play better players won't really help people, aside from maybe learning how they feel when competing. You can watch good players on a video tape and listen to commentary, you don't need to watch them in person shoot to learn from them, unless you are getting a lesson from them.

Exactly! That whole having to get your brains beat out to learn is nonsense.
Jason

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that a player is not going to beat Shane in a race to nine no matter the entry fee,

but in the same breath, if I had the opportunity to play him at a discount, I would. Players

want to play even for the most part. I know I do. Who cares if I win when I only need three

games to my opponents seven? But to play even with money odds is a better way to
get

more players. Sure the same players will win, but that is always the case, isn't it?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree that a player is not going to beat Shane in a race to nine no matter the entry fee,

but in the same breath, if I had the opportunity to play him at a discount, I would. Players

want to play even for the most part. I know I do. Who cares if I win when I only need three

games to my opponents seven? But to play even with money odds is a better way to
get

more players. Sure the same players will win, but that is always the case, isn't it?

Not with the correct handicaps
Jason

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Maybe new to outside of NYC, many of the tournaments are handicapped by both money and games.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe new to outside of NYC, many of the tournaments are handicapped by both money and games.

We've got one coming up

Attachments

• tks.jpg
    tks.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 112