Newb Questions: shaft cleaning, tip tool, chalk

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello.

I posted a few topics with my newbie questions. See
--- "Newb Questions: online purchase, cue storage, tip shaping" (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51304)
--- "First time buyer - McDermott & Viking" (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=50329)
and I have some more questions.


Shaft Cleaning
1. I want some cloth to clean the oil and chalk off the shaft every time after I play with it. I think it is not micro sanding paper (that takes wood off and cannot be use often) right?.
2. I went to Seyberts (http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/shaftcare/index.htm) and see products like Cue Cube Shaft Slicker, Q - Wiz, etc. Are they what I am looking for? What should I buy? Any other product suggestions out there (please give URL link)?
3. There are some leather to burnish and seal holes to give the shaft a smoother finish and moisture resistance. Do I need it? If yes, when and how often should I burnish it? Only once at the beginning of using a new shaft?


Tip Tool
1. Cue Cube (http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/tiptools/popupimages/cuecube.jpg) has two sides. Is it a nickel tip shaper + a tip pik?
2. Or should I get a Tip Pik (http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/tiptools/popupimages/shadowtippik.jpg) separately? Any other suggestions?


Chalk
1. Suppose I chalk my cue tip before every shot. How fast is a chalk being used up?


Please help. Thanks in advanced.
 
as far as using sand paper, no, you really don't want to do this as you mentioned, it takes off wood and it doesn't reseal the shaft. Q-wiz is probably your best bet aside from just using a cotton cloth, and using like Q-clean on it alittel less often, i think like once a week or ever other week.

on the tip tool, the cue cube has one side nickle shaper and the other side is a dime shaper. personally i just use an emory board.

on the chalk, you should definatly be chalking every shot. not only does it keep your tip well chalked for each shot, it also gives you breathing time between shots to keep your focus and alow you to look the table over before shooting. as far as it using up the chalk more rapidly? so what, chalk it like $3 for a box of 12.
 
First of all, thank you for your reply. Others' inputs are always welcomed.

socks said:
on the tip tool, the cue cube has one side nickle shaper and the other side is a dime shaper. personally i just use an emory board.

I guess I am not good enough to shape the curvature myself.

I've seen from another website (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/accessories/ccttcu.html) that the Cue Cube is a shaper + scuffer. It confuses me. I am not sure if that is the same product as the one from Seybert.

socks said:
on the chalk, you should definatly be chalking every shot. not only does it keep your tip well chalked for each shot, it also gives you breathing time between shots to keep your focus and alow you to look the table over before shooting. as far as it using up the chalk more rapidly? so what, chalk it like $3 for a box of 12.

Yes. But the shipping costs $20 (to Canada) to start with so I want to get them along with my cue purchase (so it costs nothing). I want to buy enough for at least a year of play, yet I don't want to buy too much of it (and look like an idiot). Suppose I play twice a week. How much should I get?
 
Last edited:
if your the only one using the chalk, one cube should easily last at minimum 3 months if not longer if your rubbing it on and not twisting it on.
 
I like the Willard shaper as it has a gauge with it to check the shape of the tip. The tip pik helps save the tip in that you can rough it up without removing the leather as you would with a shaper. One shapes the other roughs up the tip, get them both.

http://www.poolndarts.com/46-Tip-Maintenance/

As for shaft maintainance I like scotch brite (like you find in the kitchen) to take off the dirt and grime. You can take it farther with Q-slick or some thing of that nature. But the bottom line is dirt. On your hands and on the shaft. If both remain clean it will not feel sticky.

Sure you can use a leather burnisher to seal the wood as well after its clean. Just create friction til the shaft heats up with the leather after it cools down you will find it somewhat smoother than before. If you want it like glass the other shaft conditioners will get you there.

Chalk
1. Suppose I chalk my cue tip before every shot. How fast is a chalk being used up?
Your chalk will last a long time, no worries there...
 
Last edited:
As far as the shaft cleanig goes, I highly recccomend the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. If you do a search, there are many threads here that discuss it.

There are many different opinions on tip shapers/picks/tappers, and I personally prefer the metal tip trimmer. It is a half tube shape, and uses sandpaper refills. They cost about $2, and IMO they work better than anything else I have tried. I also use the tip pick from time to time which doesn't take off any leather.

Chalk use depends on how often you play, how you chalk, and how worn a chalk can get before you consider it past its use. I like to toss chalk fairly quickly to keep it from marking up my ferrule, and I chalk before every shot, so I might go through a cube of chalk in just two 12-14 hour sessions. Chalk is cheap though, and a box will last me quite a while.

Edited to add: Stay away from the tip cutters/grazers/shavers that are supposed to cut off the mushroom. The only one that I have seen that works without damaging the ferulle is the willard tip machine, and that costs about $400. If you have a mushroom you want removed, take it to a local repair person with a lathe.
 
Last edited:
I would like to add a Mosconi quote I believe, "You chalk a stick just like a woman applies her lipstick; evenly and covering the surface intended entirely."

Don't bore a hole in it... the edges of the cube will do fine. ;)
 
Willie's words or not, it's a quote I wish more players followed. In his little red book Willie says "brushes the cue tip with several light but sure strokes" I can't stand when my opponent does the serious force feed drilling routine into the chalk cube over the table. Does anyone really think all that chalk is going to stay on the tip and not litter the table? I'm no scientist, but the ultimate chalk layer is probably 1 grain thick. Nervous-Chalk like Willie says, and a cube won't wear out in a year. Also, be careful with the Magic Eraser on a new stick. It's the best shaft and ferrule cleaner I've ever seen for a grunge-infested cue, but it's more agressive than you need with a new stick. Wipe down with a dry or slightly dampened towel at the end of the night, and do a weekly wipe with alcohol (rubbing or denatured) , and you'll never need the ME. Re: shapers, I'll give one more vote for the Williard tip shaper. I keep one on a keychain with my Porper Tip-Pik. The profile gauge in the shaper tells you if you need a reshaping. If so, I prefer one of the half-round sandpaper shapers. If profile is OK, just do a light scuff with a coarse emery board, or a few taps with the Pik.
Bill
 
Back
Top