OB-1 transition issues

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
Hear, hear!

You have miscue issues with the OB-1? Take the advice Larry Schwartz gives in his "8 Ball Handbook for Winners"... He says that a too loose bridge will cause plenty of problems when shooting off center on the cue ball, or words to that effect. A tighter bridge will definitely help that.

My suggestion: use a tighter bridge when shooting off center shots. The way I manage to do that consistently without the crabbing that may occur in more humid conditions is to wear a glove.

Flex

That's good advice Flex, I'll pay closer attention to my bridge on draw shots and see if that helps. I know I do get a little too relaxed with my bridge at times, so you may be onto something here. I don't have a "chronic" problem miscueing with the OB-1, but it has happened a few times, and I never miscue with the Josey, so it has grabbed my attention.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Sorry, but your belief doesn't make it a fact for me. We're often wrong about the things we're "sure" we experience in pool, so a test of some kind would add some weight to your assertion.

Logic says the stick shouldn't make a difference - that the amount of swerve should only change with the amount of tip offset and butt elevation. Do you have any specific reason to believe the OB-1 produces more swerve other than your personal impression? Any theory for why it would produce more?

You shouldn't always "believe your eyes". Maybe not even most of the time.

pj
chgo

i dunno don't get me wrong i am open to the possibility it's just some sort of optical illusion caused by some other factor, but it's quite an obvious effect to me. and it's backed up by other people seeming to have noticed the exact same thing. i'll have a look again when i next play.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
My experience with the OB-1 so far is that it takes a lot of adjustment to get used to it. A lot of this is due to the fact that I am much more of a feel player than I thought. Now that I am playing with the OB-1 I have found that the adjustments that I made subconsciously for deflection have been a problem because now those adjustments do not need to be made. For example, With my original shaft I can use inside spin with ease, but now I have to make an effort with the OB-1 to stop and remember that I do not need to make my normal adjustment. It's gotten to the point now where I know I am still compensating and once I make this realization I can force myself see the correct contact point.

I believe that this is a situation where my brain has been translating all of these variables and making an adjustment to what I see as the contact point on the object ball in much the same way that everyones brain inverts everything they see so that it does not appear upside-down (Here is a better description of this phenomenon: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae353.cfm).

In the end this means that if you have been playing for a long time expect to have to go through a reprogramming phase for your brain, but in the end it should be worth it.

In addition, the shaft also has a much smaller diameter than I expected. I think this may be why I have been miscuing with it on draw shots as I do not need to go as low with it as I do on larger diameter shafts. This may also be the cause for the increased swerve that I have noticed as I do not need to go as far to the side to get the same amount of spin that causes this effect. I think this is actually an improvement for me because I always had a problem with using swerve to get around an interfering ball with accuracy and now I can. I am also able to get a lot more spin off the rails with a much lighter hit which I find to be beneficial as I believe that a softer hit is more accurate.

The shaft is also much lighter than my original. This makes sense as the shaft is cored with some sort of spongy light-weight material. This has caused the balance point of the shaft to go back a bit and has actually been beneficial as I recently changed my stroke to a much longer one and moved my grip further back anyways. On the down side, I have noticed that I need to actually hit a shot harder when trying to do a controlled draw stroke of about an inch or two from distance. I assume that this is because the lighter weight of the shaft doesn't transfer as much momentum into the cue ball so it loses its spin faster, but that is a question for the experts not me.

Just my thoughts about this interesting portion of my journey...