OB 1 vs. OB Classic

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know, another shaft comparison thread... I've been recently trying out the OB shafts, I looked for comparisons but didn't see this exact combo, or posts were several years old.

Just looking for opinions/feedback, especially from good players and especially from players with Schon, Joss, or similar cues. I've pretty much settled on using the thicker style shafts, 12.5 - 12.75. For me, the 314-2, OB1, OB Classic, Mezz WD-700, etc., all deflect about the same, but definitely a difference in performance (consistency) and especially feel. I know the right tip can make a difference as well.

I was leaning toward the OB Classic, but after recently getting it noticed that with the 5/16x14 Schon piloted joint (on my Schon cue of course) the shaft is a bit heavier than the Uniloc version I demoed. Plus, the overall hit is a bit stiffer, but maybe that's just in comparison to what I was using.

I'm going to be testing out an OB1 soon, normally I don't care for the dampened feel in any sporting equipment I use, but I'm thinking maybe paired with the Schon they might balance out. Have also been told that the OB1 is a slightly better performing shaft than the Classic, although I'm not sure why that would be.

Curious if others have opinions on performance or feel between the two options or compared to other LD options. Any opinions would be appreciated, will help keep me from spinning my wheels in equipment hell and wondering "what if". I know the choice is personal, and I will make my own decision, but additional feedback is good as well. Would be nice to settle on something and be confident in my decision, then sell all the other stuff I'm not using...

Thanks!
Scott

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I have an OB121 (wrapless sneaky) with OB1 and Classic shafts. (I'd like to try an OB2 or Classic Pro but suspect my stroke isn't good enough for an 11.? mm tip).

Initially I had the standard Everest tips on both shafts -- a little harder tip than I was used to. With the Everest tips I definitely preferred the OB1's softer hit. I've since switched to Kamui SuperSoft on the Classic and Ultraskin Soft on the OB1. Now I like both shafts and just use the one I feel like using that day.

The Classic does have a firmer feel but the Kamui SuperSoft keeps it from feeling like I'm "pinging" the ball. (When I want that pinging feeling, I play out a rack with my OB Break with Samarsa tip -- it's actually a seriously good player if you like that kind of feel. I like to experience it every once in a while, but wouldn't want it as my regular player).

I don't notice any difference in deflection of the OB1 and Classic.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious if others have opinions on performance or feel between the two options or compared to other LD options.

The external taper and shaft makeup are built the same. The ferrules are different.

The internals of the OB1 are different than the OB Classic. The OB1 is made to be a softer, more vibration-dampened feel.

They both have the same squirt reduction engineering. Their respective ferrules being different might give a slightly lower squirt edge to the OB1.

Freddie <~~~ memorized by heart

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use 5/16-14 piloted joints. The effect Freddie is alluding to is exactly my experience. I've spent a good deal of time using the OB1 and the Classic, both with Kamui Black Soft tips.
The Classic has a harder hit, as advertised, and I feel like there is a bit more cue ball deflection induced by the Classic. I prefer the OB1, but that's also what I got used to first.

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB classic deflects much much more and plays like extremelly stiff standard maple shaft

I liked OB1 much better as it is actually LD shaft

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB classic deflects much much more and plays like extremelly stiff standard maple shaft

I liked OB1 much better as it is actually LD shaft
I feel the exact same way, plus the ob1 has a real nice feel and
spins the ball without effort. OB1 for me over the classic.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for replies so far. Looking forward to trying out an OB1 later tonight.

I have hit with OB2 and OB Classic Pro (now Pro), similar differences in construction comparatively speaking. I didn't find the differences in deflection to be much if at all, maybe the edge went to the OB2. Certainly not enough difference to worry about on most shots.

I would assume the same would be true for OB Classic vs OB1, per comments by Freddie and mdavis, not to mention info from OB. Will confirm tonight.

For those that changed to another tip - I'm also thinking about the Kamui Black Soft - I think the pad needs to be kept on the shaft. When the existing tip is pried off, does the pad stay, or does it need to be re-installed, or a new one installed, etc.? I'm hoping my local guy knows how to do that, but a little guidance doesn't hurt... :)

Scott

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Provided you've got a cue repair guy that knows what he's doing, the pad will remain and the new tip installed onto it.
OB's site has guidance on tip replacement, I believe.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
For those that changed to another tip - I'm also thinking about the Kamui Black Soft - I think the pad needs to be kept on the shaft.

Scott

Yes, the pad MUST remain. At least according to Seybert's: When I sent my OB2 to Seyberts to have a Kamui SS put on, I noted that they should put on a pad if they thought it was beneficial (I didn't realize it already had a pad on it).

Seybert's reply was that a pad is required to maintain the OB warranty.

I like the Kamui SS, but tried an UltraSkin Soft on my OB1. It's been every bit as good as the Kamui at a fraction of the price.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is the first thread were I've seen people in favor of the OB1 over the Classic....I've read lots of other threads and they all seemed to praise the Classic way above the OB1.

That figures, since I just ordered an OB Classic after reading all those threads...ha!

cluelesscuer

What slide said is what I found when I was researching what shaft to get about 1.5 years ago. OB classic was getting lots of love.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I think this is the first thread were I've seen people in favor of the OB1 over the Classic....I've read lots of other threads and they all seemed to praise the Classic way above the OB1.

That figures, since I just ordered an OB Classic after reading all those threads...ha!

You'll like the Classic if you prefer a stiffer hit. If you like a softer hit, just change the tip to a soft tip. Best of both worlds.

I probably use my OB1 twice as often as my Classic. I use the Classic on days when the OB1 just feels like mush. It's all mental.

drhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you change the tip, the pad is kept intact and should rarely need to be replaced. That is, unless you damage it when removing an old tip during replacement like I did on one occasion. The Kamui Black Soft is a great tip, my favorite for the OB Classic Pro.

I shot with an OB1 (12.75mm) for a couple of years and switched to the OB Classic Pro (11.75mm) about a year ago. I like feel of the Classic Pro better as it provides more feedback and has notably less deflection than my OB1 did.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thx for replies so far. Looking forward to trying out an OB1 later tonight.

I have hit with OB2 and OB Classic Pro (now Pro), similar differences in construction comparatively speaking. I didn't find the differences in deflection to be much if at all, maybe the edge went to the OB2. Certainly not enough difference to worry about on most shots.

That's consistent with what Royce and Shane explained. The OB2 and OB Pro are tapered and drilled the same. The OB2 has the wood ferrule and has internal dampening features (like the OB1). So, the OB2 would feel softer, have approximately the same squirt engineering as the OB Pro, and any difference would be minute and based on the difference in ferrules. The OB2 is slightly less squirt, but they're in the same ballpark.

Now, I need to go weigh some shafts, because shaft weight can be an issue depending on what pieces of wood are used. Denser shafts would have more squirt.

Freddie

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
I have had the ob1 and the classic, really don't like the everest tip, i put a milkdud on the classic, I had a piloted stainless joint on both, like others have said, the ob1 is a softer hit, I prefer the classic. I love the taper on these shaft and have put it on my maple shafts and love it.

musicmanryann

Registered

Was thinking the same thing! The only thing I would add is I just got my OB Classic with Kamui Soft tip on Sunday, and I absolutely love it. There is no question is it an improvement over my maple shaft--feels better and hits straighter. More cue ball control and easier to knock long shots in to the middle of the pocket. I haven't used any other LD shaft, so I don't have that for comparison, but there is no question to me it hits better than my standard maple shaft.

Don't worry, you won't be disappointed! :thumbup: