ob classic on what butt

ballafish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK so it is time to try a ob classic shaft but what butt to I want to marry it to my joss 5/16X14 or I have a couple of Mcdermott cues. I guess what I am asking is will the joints used by these two manufacturers matter as far as the hit goes?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I have one on an Adam Balabushka & it's a good fit. It's a 5/16 x 14. I think that's the same as the Joss.

I would suggest you put it on a spliced butt. I think the Muecci tests showed that a well made full spliced butt enhances less squirt/deflection. JMHO

Regards,

ballafish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ob shaft on what type of butt

Then a wood to wood joint vs. a metal joint makes little difference as log as it is a spliced butt?

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joss for sure

5/16 14
If you don't like it, you will have no problem selling it. This will fit allot of other cues. Easy to sell.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Then a wood to wood joint vs. a metal joint makes little difference as log as it is a spliced butt?

I've played many years with a wood to wood & then many years with a steel to steel & now a steel to mix of collar & wood. I would say that they all have a bit of a different feel, more solid, more feedback, etc. but I really did not find that much of, if any real difference in actual playability. They all play well. So, that would be a matter of personal preference & the only way to determine that is to play with all of the different combinations

As to the spliced butt, that is just my personal feeling & what I heard Mr. Meucci say when doing his shaft deflection testing. However, I think it showed a signifcant difference in the test, but he was not testing many different spiced shafts & i am fairly sure that they might be inconsistent even within makes & models.So I would say that my opinion is far from being anything conclusive. But that being said if I had a choose I know how I would roll the dice.

Again, I hope this helps.

Regards,

Last edited:

Catamount

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using an OB classic with a 3/8 x 10 Schmelke butt, and it works very well. 3/8 x 10 is the standard McDermott pin. I have it on all my cues, and like it a lot. If one of your McDs has phenolic collars and a flat face wood-to-wood joint, I'd go with that. Gives the best feel, IMO.

Last edited: