Oil, grease, wax or dry lube?

icbm

Registered
Hullo, I bought a delux a yr ago but was far too busy to make any learning permient. Unfortunately the lathe was covered but still ended up with some future rust. Around my shop I usually use 3 in one or minwax. What is best for protection especially on the lead screw? Dehumidifier is helping

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I use ATF transmission fluid....it is built for lubricating aluminum parts, and best part...it doesn't make big wood dust snots that sticks to everything like a lot of other lubes do. I use a dropper to apply it where needed

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ISO68 aka Way oil.

ISO is the viscosity#
(does not mean way oil)

There are ISO68 engine, spindle, hydraulic, and way oils, e.g.
"aprox" SAE 20+ wt equivalent.

ISO 32 ("light"); 68 ("medium") & 220 ("heavy") way oils are all used here in/on various machines.

"me too" :) use ATF with aluminum sliding parts sometimes, if there is not a stated lube spec.
Also use it for machining Al. Keeps the chips from sticking to cutters.
Don't know what is best for cue lathes, though.

smt

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that the oils all cause a build up from the wood etc. Dry lube is what I have found to be the best. Next to that I used a very thin smear of products like Wynns for Oil and other such friction reducers. But they all still got a build up of dust etc. The latest I am trialling is the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax. So far so good.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
first of all there is nothing on a Hightower Deluxe to rust............. it is completely aluminum ......... only the chucks are steel............ liberally lube the bed with 30 weight motor oil............... if you use other lubes you may wear the anodizing off the bed...................

Kim

tsp&b

Silver Member
On the Lead screw models the leadscrew is steel. The pinion and eccentric are also steel. on the rack and pinion models the rack is also steel. I believe that Mr. Hightower recommended motor oil..

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the Lead screw models the leadscrew is steel. The pinion and eccentric are also steel. on the rack and pinion models the rack is also steel. I believe that Mr. Hightower recommended motor oil..
I would use what the manufacturer just recommended. He said he uses motor oil.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first of all there is nothing on a Hightower Deluxe to rust............. it is completely aluminum ......... only the chucks are steel............ liberally lube the bed with 30 weight motor oil............... if you use other lubes you may wear the anodizing off the bed...................

Kim
I've seen aluminum get pretty funky. I have some in my shop that you would swear is rusted. Maybe there is another name for it?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ISO is the viscosity#
(does not mean way oil)

There are ISO68 engine, spindle, hydraulic, and way oils, e.g.
"aprox" SAE 20+ wt equivalent.

ISO 32 ("light"); 68 ("medium") & 220 ("heavy") way oils are all used here in/on various machines.

"me too" :) use ATF with aluminum sliding parts sometimes, if there is not a stated lube spec.
Also use it for machining Al. Keeps the chips from sticking to cutters.
Don't know what is best for cue lathes, though.

smt
To be specific I use Mobil DTE 26. Works great, it's also the same oil my Bridgeport uses, so I buy it in 5gal pails. 🙂

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn,t DTE hydraulic oil? (“Dynamo, Turbine, Engiine”)
It’s a great anti wear recirculating oil & should be great for the app.
It’s not way oil, though.
Honestly can’t remember if I used that or 25 in the larger surface grinder.

How do you run “5gal pails” plural through a BP? :);)

I use some Mobile way oils in wood whacking equipment (Diehl lumber jointer uses heavy in the chainways) & smaller surface grinder uses light. However, the really thirsty machine is the (Metal) planer. Used to use Hangsterfers. Then a few years ago ran out before re-ordering & went to the jobber for another pail. Clerk asked “Mobile or Brad Penn?”

Brad Penn is made just over the line in the old Kendall refinery. Had of course heard of the racing oils; never knew they made way oils, too. if you are using it inquantity, Brad Penn is literally less than 1/2 price compared to Mobil 5gal & up. DK if they make DTE oils.

smt

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn,t DTE hydraulic oil? (“Dynamo, Turbine, Engiine”)
It’s a great anti wear recirculating oil & should be great for the app.
It’s not way oil, though.
Honestly can’t remember if I used that or 25 in the larger surface grinder.

How do you run “5gal pails” plural through a BP? :);)

I use some Mobile way oils in wood whacking equipment (Diehl lumber jointer uses heavy in the chainways) & smaller surface grinder uses light. However, the really thirsty machine is the (Metal) planer. Used to use Hangsterfers. Then a few years ago ran out before re-ordering & went to the jobber for another pail. Clerk asked “Mobile or Brad Penn?”

Brad Penn is made just over the line in the old Kendall refinery. Had of course heard of the racing oils; never knew they made way oils, too. if you are using it inquantity, Brad Penn is literally less than 1/2 price compared to Mobil 5gal & up. DK if they make DTE oils.

smt
The only brands that's readily available where I live is Shell and Mobil. DTE 24 and DTE 26 is what my Bridgeport mill uses and Shell Tellus S2 MX 46 and 68 is what my Colchester Master 2500 lathe uses. If you check out McMaster-Carr's selction, it's mostly Mobile oils and especially Vectra No. 2. That oil does not exist inEurope, it's changed to DTE 24, hence I use DTE 24.