Old Epoxy finish question

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am working on a late 70s Palmer for a customer and have run into an interesting scenario. The old epoxy finish has several deep cracks in it all the way to the wood. They're only through the finish but I don't know of a way to fill them so full refinish here we go. Now to the problem. It appears that the cue was finished was applied before the wrap groove was even cut. I say this because the wrap groove is ultra shallow and the finish seems very thick and might even come right to the wrap groove depth. Is it going to be better to just sand odd the old finish and cut a new wrap groove or is there a way to remove the old finish without sanding all the way down. I've done a lot of refinisheals but this one has me worried.

Erich

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pics?

Just curious, what model Palmer are you refinishing?

Could you post a few pictures?

Last edited:

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's sort of a Margo 5 but at the same time it isn't. I spoke to Chris Tate about it and it's a 3rd catalog Era cue most likely made for the Palmer retail shop. Later they used the same design for the Margo 5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170304-134710.jpg
    Screenshot_20170304-134710.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Screenshot_20170304-134651.jpg
    Screenshot_20170304-134651.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot_20170304-134603.jpg
    Screenshot_20170304-134603.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 362

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember that cue. You posted that somewhere on Facebook.

I wouldn't be saddened about doing a refinish. I recently had Paul Drexler refinish a Model 11 from this era and removing this thick finish was a startling improvement.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. Got it for almost nothing as a project and almost immediately found a buyer for a fair price. We'llsee what happens when they actually see the cue. It's got some issues...some correctable and some not. I was surprised at how little rollout there was in the shaft considering the age but it's enough that I felt it necessary to build a 2nd shaft for play.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I am running into now. The epoxy finish is quite thick. I usually use cyano as a finish so they won't match it if I don't strip the butt cap and then I may loose the lettering. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did build a new shaft for it. At the end of the day it's worth the effort.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The logo I have in stock since 1994. I also have the original butt caps with the logo already on it. The butt caps came from Mr. Rubinos shop when he sold his Palmer inventory. I was honored to have spoken with Mrs. Balner when she was selling things. (92-93)Good conversation and better memory for me. With super glue finish. It could be tricky. I don't know.

Last edited: