Old fiber ferrules cut like paper

1pocketguru

Registered
I had some old ferrule material I loved. I want to say they were pretty standard on old house cues in the 70s and 80s..It was matte and off white. It cut a bit more like paper? It turned like papery sheets. I've tried a bit finding then again, but the "fiber" ferrules I found weren't really the same. Any one know what material I'm talking about? TIA

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I had some old ferrule material I loved. I want to say they were pretty standard on old house cues in the 70s and 80s..It was matte and off white. It cut a bit more like paper? It turned like papery sheets. I've tried a bit finding then again, but the "fiber" ferrules I found weren't really the same. Any one know what material I'm talking about? TIA
I'm not a cuemaker. Could it be micarta? The time period would probably be correct.

Last edited:

1pocketguru

Registered
Thank you. I don't think it was micarta. They didn't yellow like micarta and seem to play not as hard as micarta.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It probably was old fiber ferrules, which would tend to shrink over time and a gap would develop at the base. The newer fiber ferrules don't shrink, the formula has been improved.

Otherwise it could be ABS.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Fiber, I have a bag of them

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it was what came on the old McDermotts, I believe it was made from cellulose (wood pulp) and cotton fiber and I'm sure plenty of chemicals. I have a bag of them too, still use one every once in a while.