older helmstetter

mb charlie

Registered
im new to the board but, i was wandering if you could provide any info about a helmstetter ive had for about 10 years. like the date it was made, who made it(adams or orgional helmstetter) and possible value of the cue. any help would be appreciated, ive looked for info everywhere on the internet and found nothing to close to this cue.

Attachments

• helmstetter1a.jpg
    helmstetter1a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 966
  • helmstetter4a.jpg
    helmstetter4a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 770
  • helmstetter5a.jpg
    helmstetter5a.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 693
  • helmstetter8a.jpg
    helmstetter8a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 577

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Helmstetters

The very old,handmade Helmstetters were either hand signed or were un marked like mine. They have a brass joint pin with 18 threads per inch. If you look zlose you can see the brown nub of the 50 year old bumper.
They are full spliced and play as good as anything ever made. And R C Helmstetter will probably never make another cue that is hand made by him again. If he does I would have to ave one
Your cue is a nice production model.
Nick

cue15.jpg

cue12-1.jpg

cue14.jpg

cue13.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Nick.. i used to have a helmstetter.. it was a production model at one time too.. my friend who used to own the pool hall i got it at.. it was actually a friends cue, but he used to have a catalog that it was in.. but since he sold the pool hall, the catalog is long since gone..

do you happen to have any of the catalogs from the production years?
i would say the cue i owned was like in 1995 or 1996.. it was a few years old when i had it.. i could almost swear the catalog my friend had was the 97 year catalog but i dont remember..

lemme know..chris

bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mb charlie said:
im new to the board but, i was wandering if you could provide any info about a helmstetter ive had for about 10 years. like the date it was made, who made it(adams or orgional helmstetter) and possible value of the cue. any help would be appreciated, ive looked for info everywhere on the internet and found nothing to close to this cue.

Hello, your cue is a production line model made during the mid-1990's. The cue if both shafts are straight and it has a solid hit no sounds is more than likely worth between $150 to $250 dollars depend who buys it. There is no difference between cues marked Adam and cues marked Helmstetter they have all been made in Asia since the 1970's. The only cues that appear to have a great deal of Value are Signed, dated, and numbered by Richard Helmstetter.

William

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To you

MIne isn't signed or dated but Jerry Rauenzahn knew I wanted one and got it for me beat that. If anyone hits one ball with this thing and not know what it is simply can't play!!! One of my friends with a predate South West say's gaurenteed not to miss but still I keep it! He is ready to sell the South West and play with this. And that is the value of a old full spliced Helmstetter It's a player's cue much like a Scruggs or Searing and Helmstetter's apprentace well everyone knows him Tascka somtin or other player's cue!
No signature , well my stroke says no problem!
Nick

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Nick, Nice cue, It is also a production model. Its a jim rempe line cue model # J/R-8 marquis

bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nick serdula said:
MIne isn't signed or dated but Jerry Rauenzahn knew I wanted one and got it for me beat that. If anyone hits one ball with this thing and not know what it is simply can't play!!! One of my friends with a predate South West say's gaurenteed not to miss but still I keep it! He is ready to sell the South West and play with this. And that is the value of a old full spliced Helmstetter It's a player's cue much like a Scruggs or Searing and Helmstetter's apprentace well everyone knows him Tascka somtin or other player's cue!
No signature , well my stroke says no problem!
Nick

Hey Nick, Nick you have some of your facts wrong.

1. Pete Tascarela was not Richard Helmstetters Apprentice. He did however run the repair department for Adam / Helmstetter cue at their location in New York in the Late W's and Early W's. Pete learned his craft from George Babushka before he ever worked for Adam/ Helmeted.

2. The cue you Pictured is a Adams Model Jim Rempe cue. The fact that it is unmarked says that it has been refinished by someone.
The cue pictured was made in the late 1970's or early 1980's model cue not a early one.

Nick no one said that the cues do not play well, but try to sell the cue and see how much it brings, especially along side a South West, A Scruggs or a Searing.

Have a Nice Day

William

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I smash with it!

I play with high end cues and if that thing is a production cue it is a freak of nature! Seeing I sell high end stuff I will just keep it as a smasher. And about the other stuff thanks much. I will have to call Jimi some day soon and get a good laugh out of it.
Nick

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is not a freak of nature by any means! First of all in the early 1970's when it was made, the wood available to cue makers was a lot better than whats left of it today. Mr. Helmstetter spent a great deal of dave formans money to make sure that the adams cues were as good if not better than any thing on the market. my adams cues have far better construction than my palmers or vikings from the same era. and much more even points than any cue maker, YES ANY! from that time period. dont under estimate how well the japanees workers took to fine craftsmanship when they were given the finest wood, state of the art machinery, and had a leader like Richard Helmstetter to work with! it could not have been done in the U.S. even then. It would have cost too much. I have an enormouse cue collection, but the early adams, (high end stuff) is as good as any from the same time period. they did have many lines of cues. Some were pure garbage i know. but my 40 year old cues are prooving them selves to hold up better than a lot of current cues. They are still straight! the colors have not faded, the finish looks like new, I have many cues in my collection, I have a great respect for my jw cues my ernie cues, and for price vs quality... nothing comes close to my old adams cues. look close next time you have your gus cue out, I lovem! but his points are rarely perfectly even. adams almost always were! you dont have to love them, but if you cant apreciate them... its because you dont know anything about them!

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Nick, If it ever is for sale? Please pm me. If you couldnt tell I realy like the early adams stuff. I can tell you like it as well. it realy is a cool old cue! take er easy. Jayman.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Question for Jayman

The points are very uneven. How can that be if it were a factory cue it would be more like you say with even points wouldn't it? Also I never saw a old production cue with the brass 18 pin unless it was a pattern applied cue (decale).
Nick

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most early adams and helmstetter cues have great points, I suppose some were not as gret as others on ocasion. all the ones i have are truly excellent. heres a pic of your J/R-8in an old 70's brouchure.

Attachments

• rempe JR-9.JPG
    rempe JR-9.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,475
Last edited: