One hole rule/penatty/foul question

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There are two ball by my opponents pocket, I kick one away, sink one in his pocket, and the Cue Ball ends up on the floor.

I think the rule is the ball I made in the opponents pocket spots, I spot a one of my balls for the penalty of the foul. Putting the Cue Ball on the floor.

My opponent has Ball in Hand in Kitchen.

AM I RIGHT or is there something I did wrong?
 
The guy I play with a couple time a week though the ball I put in his pocket was his. Nice to know I was 110% RIGHT!
 
So if a spot in the game arose, you could just hit the ball in the pocket and fly the cue ball off the table re-spotting a ball making it harder for them to run out?
 
So if a spot in the game arose, you could just hit the ball in the pocket and fly the cue ball off the table re-spotting a ball making it harder for them to run out?

Yes you can do exactly that, good idea to make sure where people are standing though! :grin-square:
 
That is correct. Grady teaches that specific move in his video, Killer One Pocket.
Roy
 
For some reason I think if it lands in the opponents pocket it should stay down and they should be rewarded. It's almost like they are getting punished for YOU fouling. At least in that exact situation anyway.
 
Indeed you could. There are occasions when this ploy is necessary to prolong the game, hopefully allowing you to regain control. I remember one night when I used that very strategy to my advantage.
I had successfully jumped the cue ball off the playing surface when it inadvertently struck a passing barmaid in the side of the head, knocking her unconscious. As she was falling to the floor, several shot glasses full of Quervo fell from her tray, splashing on to a fellow at the next table. Unfortunately for him he was lighting a cigar at the very instant that the volatile liquid was raining down. He immediately burst into flames.
Completely ablaze, and blind with pain, the man screamed and took off running. He had gotten no more than ten feet away from the table when he ran face first in to a fat woman who was sitting on a bar stool doing the daily crossword. In a matter of moments they were both entwined in a smoldering sea of humanity.
After the fire was extinguished, and the charred remains of the two victims were removed, the Fire Marshal asked if anyone had noticed anything peculiar, prior to the beginning of the fire. I raised my hand and said it was most probably caused by a strategical error related to the game of One Pocket. He just shook his head and went on to the next person. :smile:
 
Specifically covered in section 6.2 in the rules posted on one pocket .org

Ball that went into oponent's pocket is spotted
 
The only thing you were wrong about is that your opponent has to play the cue ball where it ended up on the floor. Killer jump shot!
 
So if a spot in the game arose, you could just hit the ball in the pocket and fly the cue ball off the table re-spotting a ball making it harder for them to run out?
Or foul in some other way. For instance, it's also common, especially if your opponent's game ball is jawed in his pocket, to follow it into the pocket for the scratch.

Of course, you have to first clear away any easy ball-in-hand shots (by making them in your own pocket) or you'll probably lose on the next shot anyway. (The spotted ball will be "protected" by the ball you spot with it from your own pocket - unless you don't have any. Doh!)

pj
chgo
 
This same shot came up last night.Like others said,usually it comes up when some1 needs 1 ball to win and it is the jaws of thier pocket.Last night it came up when niether of us expected it and we had to think about it for a second or two.On second thought it was not the same shot,in our situation it was an OB that came off the table so we spotted both balls and I played from where the CB lay.

It gets fun when your opponent needs 1 and its deep in the jaws and there are other ball outside the kitchen he can pocket to win the game.I have seen guys make incredible runs of 6 or 7 balls before folowing the hanger in and spotting 2.

Also last night my oponent tried to follow my last ball in and rattled the CB.I did that 3 times in a row once LOL.It still haunts me to this day and now I really bear down on the scratch in that situation.
 
Last edited:
Indeed you could. There are occasions when this ploy is necessary to prolong the game, hopefully allowing you to regain control. I remember one night when I used that very strategy to my advantage.
I had successfully jumped the cue ball off the playing surface when it inadvertently struck a passing barmaid in the side of the head, knocking her unconscious. As she was falling to the floor, several shot glasses full of Quervo fell from her tray, splashing on to a fellow at the next table. Unfortunately for him he was lighting a cigar at the very instant that the volatile liquid was raining down. He immediately burst into flames.
Completely ablaze, and blind with pain, the man screamed and took off running. He had gotten no more than ten feet away from the table when he ran face first in to a fat woman who was sitting on a bar stool doing the daily crossword. In a matter of moments they were both entwined in a smoldering sea of humanity.
After the fire was extinguished, and the charred remains of the two victims were removed, the Fire Marshal asked if anyone had noticed anything peculiar, prior to the beginning of the fire. I raised my hand and said it was most probably caused by a strategical error related to the game of One Pocket. He just shook his head and went on to the next person. :smile:

lolwhat?


If this is true...

LOL

If not... You're an excellent story teller.
 
Very simply,,,,,,,,,no one can score on a foul.
Actually, the shooter cannot score on a foul but the opponent can. Here's an excerpt from the rules
6.2 Any scratch or foul results in the end of the shooter’s inning, as well as a standard one ball penalty. All balls pocketed in the shooter’s pocket as a result of a stroke that includes a foul do not count for the shooting player and are to be immediately spotted, along with the standard one ball penalty. Also, any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent.
 
Dear Cocobolo Cowboy--

The last few lines in Joelpope's reply are key. The only fouls that count as cancelling the pocketing of a ball in your opponent's pocket are ones on which you a) scratch or b) knock the cue ball off the table. Double-hitting the cue ball and other things that are fouls don't cancel out the pocketed ball. Otherwise some dishonest people might attempt to pull the wool over a beginning player's eyes.
 
Dear Cocobolo Cowboy--

The last few lines in Joelpope's reply are key. The only fouls that count as cancelling the pocketing of a ball in your opponent's pocket are ones on which you a) scratch or b) knock the cue ball off the table. Double-hitting the cue ball and other things that are fouls don't cancel out the pocketed ball. Otherwise some dishonest people might attempt to pull the wool over a beginning player's eyes.

i dont think the last few lines in the rules will stop that from happening.....:yes:
 
Back
Top