One of a kind 1990 Bill Stroud Josswest cue

rayfel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of a kind 1990 Bill Stroud Josswest Cue

Thanks for the interest and offers everyone... The cue has now been $SOLD$...

I was fortunate to get this 1990 Bill Stroud Josswest cue from its original owner, a friend of mine and fellow pool player here in the NY tri-state area. Truly one of my best hitting cues which is why I have held onto it so long! The cosmetics on it are a true work of art! This cue has 20 ivory inlays on the butt along with another 4 within the points. Comes with JW1990 logo of that era and has steel joint with 5/16x14 apec pin (which is a hairline thicker than the standard 5/16x14 pin or so I've been told). I have 2 original Bill Stroud shafts. Shaft 2 has never been played with or even chalked. Each shaft has an original ivory ferrule. The forearm is of dark curly maple and has 4 ebony points with 4 veneers of natural, black, red and black. It has a nicely done black leather wrap and was refinished by Bill Stroud in 2010 at which point I retired it and have taken it out to play with a handful of times. The butt has 4 windows with the same veneers. This one has been a keeper for my collection but I'm looking to deal it off at this point. I can't keep all of the cues I come across! Cue and shafts roll dead straight together and apart.

Shaft 1 Weight: 3.99 oz
Shaft 1 Diameter at Ferrule: 13.12 mm
Shaft 2 Weight: 4.12 oz
Shaft 2 Diameter at Ferrule: 13.25 mm
Butt Weight: 15.46 oz
Total Weight: 19.45-19.58 oz
Asking: $SOLD$...

Thanks for looking!

I can't post more that 5 pics on this thread... Please click on the link to my album below if you'd like to see more pics...
http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=1077

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

album.php

Attachments

• 20140922_011641.jpg
    20140922_011641.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,559
  • 20140922_011652.jpg
    20140922_011652.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 20140922_011706.jpg
    20140922_011706.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,549
  • 20140922_011745.jpg
    20140922_011745.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 20140922_011824.jpg
    20140922_011824.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,539
Last edited:

rayfel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There truly is an amazing hit to this cue. I'm not just saying that, I prefer this hit over just about any cue maker out there. I have another one that is a 1995 with the JW logo and the radial pin that hits just as amazing. That's my playing cue because it edged this one out when I evaluated them side by side. Mainly cause of the cosmetics. That one is listed below but is not for sale. It was a tough decision and to be quite honest I'm not so sure I made the right call yet, which is why I said I may just keep the cue I listed here if I don't get the right offer to sell it.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=1095

Bill Stroud got it right! Its the construction, the balance point, the weight on the shafts, the diameter of the butt, etc. His cues are generally a little thicker around the wrap than the standard cue. Not a whole lot, but enough that if you start playing with one, you can never go back. For me, I find it allows me to control my cue ball a little better.

-Ray

rayfel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting close with the offers...just need to get a little closer to the asking price as I can't seem to let this one go...thanks for the looking...

rayfel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never got the offer I was looking for on this cue and kept it... Asking $2595 at this point...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey Ray.......ever since I sold that ivory joint Josswest......want to hear something funny........I've tried to locate another ivory joint cue by Bill Stroud without success.
I kind of miss that cue and it sure sounds like you've come to really enjoy it......Sorry about that screw-up with Lonnie Wilbur making the cue's joint caps.

In fact, I still have a credit with him from your payment that I refunded and he was going to make me another set of protectors to cover it. But he's difficult to reach and
I've tried. He responded once to one of my e-mails and then disappeared after I asked him to make me the protector set. I know Lonnie's health hasn't been good & so
I hope he's okay. Pipe1976 has made me a couple of protector sets and I like Lonnie. But I've had a $150 credit with him since I sold the Josswest cue and that was long ago.

Anyway, it's great to read that this cue found a great home. And I do concur wholeheartedly that it really does have a sweet hit which is why exactly I'm looking for another one.
Not to brag but those cue shafts on your '95 JW were personally refinished by me.....even the new un-played shaft was treated with Craftsman Cue Wax and burnished.....I do
not exaggerate when I write that the cue shafts on all my pool cues are better than new.....smooth as glass and even my '85 Runde & '91 Mottey cues shafts are totally pristine.

The Stroud cue you have listed is a great looking cue.....it's just not the type of cue joint that I'm looking for.

Last edited:

rayfel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Matt,
I hadn't realized you had posted on this thread. That's arguably my best hitting cue! I love it and still play with that one. The Josswest I'm selling here with the 5/16x14 joint hits just as good which is why I say "arguably" when I say the ivory joint one is my best hitting cue. LOL! They are just great hits! They are very similar but slightly different. Very consistent and straight as an arrow with the direction of your object ball. You can really catch a nasty stroke with each once you've hit with them for a while.
Best regards,
-Ray

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
There are so few nice Joss West cues out there and this one is a darling.

Ray, it's really a screwy market. Recently a couple of Hercek cues, really nice ones, had a hard time breaking the $4k mark and as I recall, both sold for under $4k and both cues had ivory joints. That's a mighty low price for those two Hercek cues and 18 months ago, both would have fetched well over $5k easily......that's at least a 20% drop and based upon what those two cues actually sold for, more likely a 23 - 25% drop in selling price.

This is a great buyers market and obviously, to your disadvantage, a weak seller's market. Bill's workmanship is unquestionably great and someone will acquire this cue as it's too nice not to sell. Best of luck with this listing.

Best regards,

Matt B.