One Pocket Rules Question

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player did not reverse diddly do-da.

JJ pointed out the separated balls informing the ref they were suppose to be frozen and the ref froze them.

Lou Figueroa
Yes he did...He picked up the ball and re-spotted it himself. He should have told the ref to check it. Refer back to post #3.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he did...He picked up the ball and re-spotted it himself. He should have told the ref to check it. Refer back to post #3.

Yes, and perhaps there was a divot under the spot because after the ref spotted the second ball on his first attempt, the balls separated again -- you can actually see this happen when Alex shoots the two ball take-out and the one ball rolls forward without anything touching it.

And, though he tried, the ref couldn't get them frozen, so JJ stepped it to tap the back ball -- he asked the ref to do it and the ref couldn't get the job done.

All of this was with Alex's and the ref's informed consent.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and perhaps there was a divot under the spot because after the ref spotted the second ball on his first attempt, it separated again -- you can actually see this happen when Alex shoots the two ball take-out and the one bal rolls forward.

And, though he tried, the ref couldn't get them frozen, so JJ stepped it to tap the back ball -- he was asking the ref to do it and the ref couldn't get the job done.

All of this was with Alex's informed consent.

Lou Figueroa
Ah PERHAPS??? And perhaps JJ was trying to align them to favor his pocket. Probably not likely. This getting a little silly. A player is not to touch a ball in a refereed match. FOUL.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah PERHAPS??? And perhaps JJ was trying to align them to favor his pocket. Probably not likely. This getting a little silly. A player is not to touch a ball in a refereed match. FOUL.

Sorry, the ref was right here and gave JJ the OK ;-)

Or are you suggesting there’s someone else that should have stepped in and overruled the ref, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, the ref was right here and gave JJ the OK ;-)

Or are you suggesting there’s someone else that should have stepped in and overruled the ref, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I have a lot of respect for your posts and contributions here on AZB.

I am not faulting the referee....It is difficult to fine tune referees in our sport due to standardized rules that have exceptions depending on the venue, the game, etc. Almost all pool halls have unique variations that the locals believe are the real rules. JJ is a fine player and pool commentator. I think he made a mistake and looking back, he would most likely realize it. He just did it out of habit as many of us would do.

To answer your question, "should someone else stepped in...."? It may happen if there is a tournament director. But the referee position should be respected as his/her decisions. You never see a football player or coach walk up to move a football where it was placed by the official. Either in pro football or a pewee game. Or a basketball player telling the ref that he really did not foul me.

It is up to us to step up the quality perception of our great sport.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not read through all this thread
I think we all agree that the two balls on the spot are supposed to be frozen and ‘in line to the middle diamond of the foot rail
that should be true throughout the game unless they are hit by the cue ball from one of the players
jmho
icbw

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J
Lou, I have a lot of respect for your posts and contributions here on AZB.

I am not faulting the referee....It is difficult to fine tune referees in our sport due to standardized rules that have exceptions depending on the venue, the game, etc. Almost all pool halls have unique variations that the locals believe are the real rules. JJ is a fine player and pool commentator. I think he made a mistake and looking back, he would most likely realize it. He just did it out of habit as many of us would do.

To answer your question, "should someone else stepped in...."? It may happen if there is a tournament director. But the referee position should be respected as his/her decisions. You never see a football player or coach walk up to move a football where it was placed by the official. Either in pro football or a pewee game. Or a basketball player telling the ref that he really did not foul me.

It is up to us to step up the quality perception of our great sport.

Joe, I respect your participation here as well.

But I totally disagree because I believe, if the same situation came up again, JJ would do exactly the same as he did in this instance. The balls being froze properly is part of the game and that’s how he wanted the game played out.

Personally, I would do the same given the same conditions and wouldn’t blink an eye if my opponent wanted those balls frozen, ref or no ref, as they should have been.

There is nothing about that that dishonors the sport.

Lou Figueroa

eg9327

If nothing else I always get a laugh ready the posts in the site. " Stop touching me." / "I'm not touching you." / "Yes you are. MOOooOOooM! He's touching me!"

Thanks!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the beginning of a J. Foxworthy joke: 'You might be nit if...........' ;)

One of my favorites from Foxworthy: You might be a redneck if anyone in your family has died right after saying the words, "Hey! Watch this!"

Lou Figueroa

Guy Manges

Registered
Later on in the same game there was a scratch and the ref spotted the ball. But JJ then picked up the ball and respotted it. I think that JJ picking up the ball in a refereed game is a foul and the ref should have called it. Nit picking, yes, but that is the refs job to spot balls.
Yes... Guy