One rail kick by Dr. Cue...Can't get it to work..

wikidstik

I have followed Tom Rossman for years and I use his bank shot routine with parallel shift. I have tried the same with kick shots, especially the ones with a trapezoid shape. It doesn't give me any consistancy and I am giving way too many ball in hands.
Can anyone address this?
Thanks

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does a one rail kick have a trapezoid shape?
On one rail kicks, they require a highly calibrated stroke especially if the ball is some distance away from the scoring cushion. Compare to multiple rail kicks where some simple knowledge can often insure the object ball will be hit in the intended direction, however inaccurately.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bro
I would like to help
I could not visualize the kick from your first post
I think you should provide a link
Rather than tell me to go fishing to help you
Jmho

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok the trapezoid is created by the balls being different distances from the cushion. IOW The shape is incidental to that one unsquare line.
You find the 7th pocket by going perpendicular from the cushion to a ghost ball on the object ball. You can go directly at the ball too since the idea at first is just to hit it. Anyway the 7th pocket is that point on the cushion where your perpendicular starts.
Back to the unsquare line that connects the two balls. You find the mid point of that line and from there you use your stick to point directly at the 7th pocket. Now you shift parallel till the stick is over the cue ball. Make no further adjustments or calculations and shoot the kick on that line. The reason you shoot the shot as is is to zero the system. What will happen is the shot will probably go wide. That's pool table physics at work and must be addressed separately.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime a ball hits a cushion it bends. This is because the ball coming off the cushion want to keep rolling in the original direction and pushes against the rebound line. If a ball hits the cushion with backspin the effects are opposite; pulling against the rebound line. A dead ball coming off the cushion will have a neutral rebound relative to the first two.
Your compensatory controls include speed, any english, and outright re-angling the shot line. The good and bad news is for one rail kicks you have all these options available. Kick a million balls. You'll start to get it after 50 or so.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sorry...see if this works
thanks for the link.... (y)
often the reason parallel shift systems dont work are
1)because its hard too move the cue perfectly parallel
2) you could be missing because you have a hint of spin on the ball
3) if you kick very softly the ball will lengthen

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is an alternative
for this kick
i hope you follow me here if not pm me
imagine the cue ball parallel to the long rail equidistance as the object ball you want to kick
and direcly behind the real cue ball
this makes the kick an easy 2:1 kick
ie aim at the rail half way between the balls
if you extend that line to a spot on the wall 4-9 feet away
thats the aim spot for the real cue ball wherever it is on the table
in my diagram the spot is too close to work
it has to be 4-9 feet away
1 rail spot on wall kick.png

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
so, in your opinion, there is no other "better" system to gauge these kicks?
the parralel systems work if you are carefull
personally i dont use them
as i have other to me more accurate ways of figuring out the kick
regardless of how many rails
jmho

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i hope the above helps
pm me if you wish
good luck with your game

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You might find this easier (similar to bbb's method above):

1. Find the "mirror image" of your target ball (double its distance from the side rail)
2. Stand on that spot (as if you're the mirror image target ball) and look back at the CB
3. Imagine a line from your eyes to the CB - note where it hits the cushion nose - that's your CB target.

pj
chgo

mirror kick.png

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might find this easier (similar to bbb's method above):

1. Find the "mirror image" of your target ball (double its distance from the side rail)
2. Stand on that spot (as if you're the mirror image target ball) and look back at the CB
3. Imagine a line from your eyes to the CB - note where it hits the cushion nose - that's your CB target.

pj
chgo

View attachment 604583
i didnt mention that one patrick because of the distance from the object ball to the rail
but its a great one and VERY accurate.... (y)
you need to be sure when you extend the cue you are perpendicular to the rail
i have/had a tendency to be alittle skewed which caused misses

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i didnt mention that one patrick because of the distance from the object ball to the rail
You actually did mention it in passing: it's the "spot on the wall". But you're right there must be enough room to stand there - otherwise you have to imagine the mirrored OB.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You actually did mention it in passing: it's the "spot on the wall". But you're right there must be enough room to stand there - otherwise you have to imagine the mirrored OB.

pj
chgo
i use my cue stick to measure from tip of cue stick from the object ball to the rail
mark it on my cue stick with my thumb
then extend my cue stick from the rail till i get to the tip
my thumb has marked the distance so now i look from my thumb to the cue ball in this case

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean a foolproof kick anything all the time? You need a masters in CTE for that. As with all things pool, you'd be better of forging your stroke to perfection and then calibrating it so you have the graduations at a moments notice. In math the rule is incidence equals reflection. You can base all your banks and kicks on this notion (don't) because while the true shot is almost guaranteed to be different, it will be different by a predictable and correctable amount. See <kick a million balls>.