Opinions - Based on my layout, should I add a snooker table?

Hoogaar

Registered
So I have been offered a free antique snooker table. I'm definitely more of a pool player than snooker, but I do enjoy snooker too. My room currently has a pool table, bar, TV area, and toy area that honestly gets next to no use (plus my youngest started selling his toys).

Anyway - I measured it out, and I could fit the snooker table with at least 5' on all side, and I could move my pool table to the current TV area, and move the TV to the toy area. Problem is. I have a fairly big post (12"X12") that would be in the way on one side of the pool table - even a short cue would be a challenge. But I would be able to have 100% more snooker than I do now, and I would go from 100% unimpeded pool shots to probably 95%.

From my perspective:

Pros - I get a snooker table!
Cons - Playing pool, I would encounter some shots with the post in the way.

And if I was to get the snooker table, would I be better off placing the pool table 4' from the left wall so there would be 3'6" from the post allowing at least a decent shot with a 42" short cue, or a leave a full 5' on one side so there is absolutely no impediments on that side, but then only 2'6" from the post, making any shot directly across from it almost impossible?

Pictures are current layout, future layout if I was to get the snooker table, and a couple of pics of the snooker table.

I appreciate any thoughts you all may have. Cheers!

Attachments

• 262515093_599743251301902_8457253025208346630_n.jpg
    262515093_599743251301902_8457253025208346630_n.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 262766155_267547958760900_242594044598405744_n.jpg
    262766155_267547958760900_242594044598405744_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Floor_Plan With No Snooker Table.png
    Floor_Plan With No Snooker Table.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Floor_Plan.png
    Floor_Plan.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 155

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, looking at your situation, I'd try this.

1. Get a good table mechanic to look at the snooker table to see if it's worth the effort. Get it if you want it and it's not a junker.

2. Set the pool table where there's only the one obstruction with 95% clear area.

3. Enjoy.

Keith

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
WE have a 10ft Anniversary Snooker in excellent shape, we will let it go for very very cheap! Just want the $250 we have in it. I cant force myself to part it out, I love the tables too much to junk it for the few parts I could use.

TFT

Hoogaar

Registered
WE have a 10ft Anniversary Snooker in excellent shape, we will let it go for very very cheap! Just want the $250 we have in it. I cant force myself to part it out, I love the tables too much to junk it for the few parts I could use.

TFT
Crazy how little resale there is for snooker tables. I know it's hard to find the room for them, but it's not like they were cheap brand new.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Crazy how little resale there is for snooker tables. I know it's hard to find the room for them, but it's not like they were cheap brand new.
Its the SPACE, even in my shop. I operate lean and mean, no room for stuff that wont ever sell. It just costs me time and money moving it around. I wont junk it, we have plans for it in our new shop for a work table with a giant sectional top. Just trying to think of something creative to do with it. I am considering having the rails converted to POOL! :)

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Its the SPACE, even in my shop. I operate lean and mean, no room for stuff that wont ever sell. It just costs me time and money moving it around. I wont junk it, we have plans for it in our new shop for a work table with a giant sectional top. Just trying to think of something creative to do with it. I am considering having the rails converted to POOL! :)

TFT
LET ME BE CLEAR: SOMEONE COME GET IT!!! LOL

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as you don't plan on any 1pocket. Game is impossible with rounded corners.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

TFT
Creative is a good option for someone in the business. I have seen free snooker tables due to the size and investment in handling. I created a franken table using an old body and pocket irons from another set of rails . All salvage when Western in Tacoma moved.
I think the size is going to significant limit the market. However it could be a uh...high ticket to the right customer.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If this was my situation I’d check with table mechanics to make sure someone nearby knows how to properly set up the big table.

If so, I’d get it. For pool table placement I’d leave the full 5’ on one side and just have the one terrible area with the post.

Then again I despise having any tight areas whatsoever around a pool table. The spot becomes a magnet for important shot impediment. So I maybe would just stick with the pool table.

I have never actually played on a snooker table and I really want to which makes me wanna say I’d get the table for sure. Is it worth it? Only a pool & snooker player could say

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have been offered a free antique snooker table. I'm definitely more of a pool player than snooker, but I do enjoy snooker too. My room currently has a pool table, bar, TV area, and toy area that honestly gets next to no use (plus my youngest started selling his toys).

Anyway - I measured it out, and I could fit the snooker table with at least 5' on all side, and I could move my pool table to the current TV area, and move the TV to the toy area. Problem is. I have a fairly big post (12"X12") that would be in the way on one side of the pool table - even a short cue would be a challenge. But I would be able to have 100% more snooker than I do now, and I would go from 100% unimpeded pool shots to probably 95%.

From my perspective:

Pros - I get a snooker table!
Cons - Playing pool, I would encounter some shots with the post in the way.

And if I was to get the snooker table, would I be better off placing the pool table 4' from the left wall so there would be 3'6" from the post allowing at least a decent shot with a 42" short cue, or a leave a full 5' on one side so there is absolutely no impediments on that side, but then only 2'6" from the post, making any shot directly across from it almost impossible?

Pictures are current layout, future layout if I was to get the snooker table, and a couple of pics of the snooker table.

I appreciate any thoughts you all may have. Cheers!
It’s very hard to go back-and-forth from pool balls to snooker balls, pool cues to snooker cues, etc. The lighter and smaller snooker balls just seem to deflect and swerve differently, at least that was my experience.

I would stick with one or the other unless you plan to use 2-1/4 inch sized snooker balls on the snooker table, which would eliminate any adjustment when going from one table to the other.

Hoogaar

Registered
It’s very hard to go back-and-forth from pool balls to snooker balls, pool cues to snooker cues, etc. The lighter and smaller snooker balls just seem to deflect and swerve differently, at least that was my experience.

I would stick with one or the other unless you plan to use 2-1/4 inch sized snooker balls on the snooker table, which would eliminate any adjustment when going from one table to the other.
That doesn’t bother me (going back and forth). The pool hall I used to live in almost (30+ hour/week), I would alternate between pool and snooker all the time. More pool usually, but sometimes we would go stretches where we played more snooker.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd stick with your current setup. That post is in the way, and you haven't got ideal room on the other side either, just 4'4". I think that would get annoying pretty quickly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As long as you don't plan on any 1pocket. Game is impossible with rounded corners.
All the highest rolling one pocket I’ve seen was on a 5x10 Anniversary snooker table at the Rack.
…but the normal set was two ahead.
Most action was by the game.
A

Hoogaar

Registered
I'd stick with your current setup. That post is in the way, and you haven't got ideal room on the other side either, just 4'4". I think that would get annoying pretty quickly.
Well, I could have 5’. Just the post would be closer