Opinions Regarding Offering Advice To Young Players?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JV, would be happy if you played where I do. Vids are good tools, but there is nothing like being at the table. There are many players out there, that would greatly appreciate the help.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm in favor of advising anyone interested but am sensitive to the fact that advising players can affect their concentration at the table, so giving them a choice is, to me, a necessary courtesy.

excellent... I couldn't agree more.

The 'choice' is the key word imo... I never just tell people what they "are doing wrong". How pompous would that be...lol. I preface everything with, "are you open to", "or are interested in"... Approach is everything.

There's other more delicate ways to test the waters rather full steam cannon ball.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
What I think it boils down to is common sense and tact. You need to be able to "read" people to determine who will be receptive. If a person appears receptive, other variables will dictate the manner in which information is best communicated. "Know the person" is probably the key here.

What I also am reading, and have experienced myself, is that the world is plagued with personality types who exist secure in the knowledge that God blessed them with all of the knowledge in existence about pool/bowling/dancing and that their primary mission in life is to pass this information on to the less fortunate while at the same time impressing everyone within earshot with their vast ability. No one wants to hear these idiots at all, and it is impossible to "learn" from them. I have no solution to such behavior except to ignore it or not make myself available.

As to older/somewhat experienced players, I would only give them advice if I knew them beyond a casual basis. Given my skill level, however, I should never dispense any advice beyond basic concepts.

Last edited:

Guy Manges

Registered
Respect

If they respect you they will listen to you, start with what they need to address first and explain how it will upgrade their game/progress (pocketing percentage ect.) . If they are receptive towards that then move on to the next thing that will add more to their arsenal. Pick out a drill that will show their pocketing ability and do a before/after to more clearly illustrate the effects.

Even our Mosconi cup team couldn't winn without Respect for a coach. Good luck.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My learning curve in pool started out very slow as I grew up playing on my home table as opposed to a pool room where I could observe skilled players. Although there were no local pool rooms in my hometown, luckily it was a college town that had a number of pool tables on campus for the students. I hung out there alot during my high school years. Although I was already better than virtually all of them, there was one player in particular who did pass on some extremely valuable advice to me which benefited me greatly. I’m just trying to do my part by paying it forward to other younger, inexperienced players that I can clearly see have that burning passion to improve but need some help.

Robert.Beak

Registered
What I think it boils down to is common sense and tact. You need to be able to "read" people to determine who will be receptive. If a person appears receptive, other variables will dictate the manner in which information is best communicated. "Know the person" is probably the key here.

What I also am reading, and have experienced myself, is that the world is plagued with personality types who exist secure in the knowledge that God blessed them with all of the knowledge in existence about pool/bowling/dancing and that their primary mission in life is to pass this information on to the less fortunate while at the same time impressing everyone within earshot with their vast ability. No one wants to hear these idiots at all, and it is impossible to "learn" from them. I have no solution to such behavior except to ignore it or not make myself available.

As to older/somewhat experienced players, I would only give them advice if I knew them beyond a casual basis. Given my skill level, however, I should never dispense any advice beyond basic concepts.

Then you need to live by the principle of "give advice only if you are asked."
Sometimes it's hard for me to remain silent in some other aspects of life, where I am a professional

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
‘The future of our game depends upon recruiting players. If we do not make newcomers feel like they belong, they may not come back.

Absolutely, In your local room or in this forum, being gracious and teaching basics including etiquette are very important to those that seek it. I can tell by body language and a few simple questions about motivation to learn who is worth offering advice or guidance to. When criteria is met, it's time well spent, especially on the generation the OP was referring to.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If I give someone advice it is usually only someone I have played in league or in tournaments. Even then its rare that I will give someone advice if they dont ask. One example is a player on another team who I have played a few times, before our game he mentioned jokingly that he hates playing me cause he always gets his butt kicked. Well later on in the night he was playing on another table and knocked the cue ball off the table while breaking, something he often does. I suggested that he keep the rear of his cue lower when breaking to solve that problem, weeks later he was greatly improved at keeping the ball on the table. In this case I think that he was completely unaware that he was the cause of his flying cue balls and probably just thought he had bad luck. He didnt know he could do something to alleviate his problem so he never sought advice. I am guessing this happens a lot. If there were better players out there offering to give me advice I would certainly be open to listening, I dont mean the 1 guy in every room saying "you shoulda played this shot like this", I think every room has one of those but rather the type who has valuable information to improve your game. I think many of us dont realize we may be doing something wrong.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I dont mean the 1 guy in every room saying "you shoulda played this shot like this", I think every room has one of those but rather the type who has valuable information to improve your game.
LOL, reminds me of the guy that told me I had shot it wrong. After my scotch doubles partner left me hooked, I kicked the ball in and left her perfect shape. The young man at the bar insisted on interrupting our game to tell me what I should have done. I simply smiled and inquired if he played for money. He did and was so clueless (and inebriated) that I only charged him the one $20 game.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The subject of etiquette brings this subject into a different light. I am not sure that "advice" or "instruction" are correct terms when addressing etiquette lapses, because I think we have every right to inform someone of breaches of etiqutte -- whether they want to hear it or not. For example -- players who stand on top of the table while not shooting and engage in other types of sharking -- intentional or unintentional -- need to be told what they are doing and to cut it out. I am not saying that it cannot be done in a nice way -- I am just saying speaking to someone about an etiquette issue is different from bringing up skill issues.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I have any, I offer up the opportunity for advice to every player I match up with. Whether they initially asked for or not... How is someone who does not know your proficiency in the game going to know to ask you specifically for suggestions, for something random you noticed...?

I'm not saying I force feed them my point of view. Just simply say..., "Hey would you like some advice on 'xxxxx'...." If they say no, then that's that. Don't force it down their throats. Let them decide if they wold like to hear an apposing point of view, and if they have the interest in improving their games.

No harm no foul.
This. Ask if they want any tips, but if they don't want any advice, I just stfu.

One time I felt compelled to give unsolicited lessons after some kids sent the cb flying off the table 3 times! I told them to aim for the center of the ball, and showed them how to line up a shot.

It was honestly making me anxious that they would break something. The room owner didn't say anything, but it was really a matter of disrespecting the property that made me want to say something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how much is it?
what form of payment?
and is there a possibility of courses online?

Scott Lee, Mr. Machino, Stan Shuffett; all insist they have the shìt. Any one of them should be happy to discuss financing and include you in their customer base.

If you're addressing me, that comment is in the context of random beginners at the OP's room. You mentioned elsewhere you are a professional in other disciplines. I am curious as to this and especially your background in pool. What pool do you know? Why do you want to learn pool? Do you even like pool?

If you draw blanks on any of those,Youtube is saturated with trick shots to high stakes matches. Start there.

Robert.Beak

Registered
Scott Lee, Mr. Machino, Stan Shuffett; all insist they have the shìt. Any one of them should be happy to discuss financing and include you in their customer base.

If you're addressing me, that comment is in the context of random beginners at the OP's room. You mentioned elsewhere you are a professional in other disciplines. I am curious as to this and especially your background in pool. What pool do you know? Why do you want to learn pool? Do you even like pool?

If you draw blanks on any of those,Youtube is saturated with trick shots to high stakes matches. Start there.

Hello! thank's for answering! Are you asking me about types of billiards or methods of playing? :confused:

Good. YouTube is a good option, can you advise who to subscribe to? If it's not difficult for you! I would start with the theory.
Yes, I like American billiards. I just want to play for fun.but i have to play well. I like it. I like to do self-improvement! :)