Opinions Wanted - Cloth Type

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are two 3-c tables in the senior center, one without a heater that they installed that silk cloth, and one Gabrial heated table. It's getting time to replace the cloth on the Gabriel and they are deciding which cloth to use and someone asked me my thoughts: simonis and continue to use the heater; or go w/the silk cloth and have the ability to reduce the use of the heater.

Any thoughts? I have no experience w/the silk cloth other than seeing and paying on it one time. It's supposed to keep the speed and the slide for a much longer period of time.

Thanks,
Dave

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only played maybe 20 or 25 games on Royal Blue. It starts out a little slicker than Simonis or Granito. On a broken in cloth it plays very well. The only problem I see is the appearance changes quicker than Simonis or Granito. The white burn marks show up a lot quicker. If you ignore the looks then it should be fine even if it looks twice its age.

Carom Cafe is testing (or has tested) Royal Blue on one of the tables outside of the pit. You might want to ask Michael Kang what they think and relate the answer to the amount of play this room has vs Carom Cafe.

Bottom line is, its still too early to tell and even though the price is about half of Simonis, will it need to be changed out more frequently? If their mechanic does the work gratis then its a no brainer.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have only played maybe 20 or 25 games on Royal Blue. It starts out a little slicker than Simonis or Granito. On a broken in cloth it plays very well. The only problem I see is the appearance changes quicker than Simonis or Granito. The white burn marks show up a lot quicker. If you ignore the looks then it should be fine even if it looks twice its age.

Carom Cafe is testing (or has tested) Royal Blue on one of the tables outside of the pit. You might want to ask Michael Kang what they think and relate the answer to the amount of play this room has vs Carom Cafe.

Bottom line is, its still too early to tell and even though the price is about half of Simonis, will it need to be changed out more frequently? If their mechanic does the work gratis then its a no brainer.

Thank you, I will contact Michael.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you for sending me to Michael. I just got off the phone with him and they are very pleased with the Royal Blue silk cloth. He said they covered two of their 12 tables w/the silk and play exceeded the 5,000 hours they typically get out of Simonis, it's less expensive, and they don't need to clean it as often (Simonis gets cleaned every hour). And, they can reduce the heater setting so it's a little cooler to play on. Carom Cafe is getting ready to recover the two tables w/the silk cloth again to get another set of metrics on how it plays.

He said that Ira Lee is the a distributor for this cloth so I am instructing the folks at the senior center to contact him for more info, but it looks pretty good.

Again, thanks for the info! Greenie coming your way :)

Dave

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two 3-c tables in the senior center, one without a heater that they installed that silk cloth, and one Gabrial heated table. It's getting time to replace the cloth on the Gabriel and they are deciding which cloth to use and someone asked me my thoughts: simonis and continue to use the heater; or go w/the silk cloth and have the ability to reduce the use of the heater.

Any thoughts? I have no experience w/the silk cloth other than seeing and paying on it one time. It's supposed to keep the speed and the slide for a much longer period of time.

Thanks,
Dave

I sent you a PM.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
interesting enough, today the power goes out in the garage as it does, heater on my table is off all day, ii start playing and i dont notice it any slower, not at all, it was covered all day though

it was a cool day, but the table was cold for the first time in a while, kind of refreshing to tell the truth
i wonder how much humidity actually gets in here but again it was not a warm day at all and the table was covered

Francisco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello
Everything you've heard about Royal Pro is true. Is cheapier than the other brand, doesn't need heat, ank keeps english more time. Here where i live almost every clubs have Royal Pro, for about 2 and in some clubs 3 years, and almost everyone loves Royal Pro.Where we note the differences is when we have to play in rooms that don't have Royal Pro, you feel the difference, and the other players on the oposite side feel the same. Lets put it this way, one brand is more expensive, needs heat and has his characteristics, the other brand is less expensive, doesn´t need heat and has is characteristics as well. But the best cloth is the one you love to play on, if you are familiar with one brand why don't you try the other, and share with us here your opinion.

Kind regards
Francisco

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello
Everything you've heard about Royal Pro is true. Is cheapier than the other brand, doesn't need heat, ank keeps english more time. Here where i live almost every clubs have Royal Pro, for about 2 and in some clubs 3 years, and almost everyone loves Royal Pro.Where we note the differences is when we have to play in rooms that don't have Royal Pro, you feel the difference, and the other players on the oposite side feel the same. Lets put it this way, one brand is more expensive, needs heat and has his characteristics, the other brand is less expensive, doesn´t need heat and has is characteristics as well. But the best cloth is the one you love to play on, if you are familiar with one brand why don't you try the other, and share with us here your opinion.

Kind regards
Francisco

thank you for sharing your experiences.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
royal pro

I like it because its really fast!
I've re-covered with it twice and first time I bought it was 170$, second 230$. I hope it stays affordable.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Do you really need the table heated if it's always covered when not in use? For example in my home setting

I get from 1-5 hrs of use a day,
And it's covered for the rest of the time

Can moisture penetrate the vynal cover?
I would think not,

I'm just curious, I don't know what's going on in my garage but I've unplugged everything trying to find the culprit, my breaker switch for my garage has been tripping off every few hrs last 3 days, and the last thing I thought was causing it was the table since I haven't had this issue before, but today I unplug the heater and vuola no more breaker issues

I'm thinking to just leave it off, as I previously noted I personally don't notice a difference in table speed whether it be cold or warm
And being a novice recreational player, for me I see no reason that I should worry about it

Since every table plays different anyways, you just have to adapt to how it plays, right?

Thoughs?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Another thing
Where I play at Ive seen the owner wiping the table down with a damp cloth
The entire table
I've seen this done on the rails but never hes said he thinks it gets up more dust

It atleast looks very nice once he's done
And I don't think the heater works on 2 of their 3 Gabriel's