Opinions wanted on this lathe

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
brechbt said:
Here's a cue maintenance lathe being offerred on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120267806548&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Do any of you own this or something similar? I'm curious as to whether it's stable enough to do a good job, if it's reasonably kind to cues if used properly, and if it's suitable for someone who's handy but inexperienced. Also, does the pricing appear reasonable for what you're getting? Thanks for any input.

Tim


I've been looking at these lathes as well and would like to here any imput on them. To me it looks like it might be a bit flimsy but i could easily beef it up a bit. I just basically need something to make re-tipping easier.
 
I have seen this type of lathe in action. Mike Zimmerman used on at a Tournament I attended. Shafts & tips are probably the limitation & you will have to be good at controlling the cutting tip.

You can do a little work on this type of lathe, but it won't be like having a REAL lathe that will REALLY do some work.

The wood lathe (referenced by chuckpilegis) isn't a good idea IMHO. This kind of machine doesn't have adjustable RPMs & no cutter feeding mechanism. It might work in a pinch, but you will definitely have to be a craftsman.
 
I could be wrong but I didnt see any cut feed mechanism on the origional lathe posted either for more than double the price
If you want to do tips cheap I would get a mini lathe


IMG_0018.jpg

To clean and polish

IMG_0019.jpg

tips and ferrules
 
Back
Top