Opponent on Cell Phone - Disrespectful ?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether it's a tournament match, a gambling session, or just a set your playing with another player, curious as to your opinions as to whether it is disrespectful for them (or myself) to be on a cellphone texting, checking texts, etc. while your opponent is at the table shooting? In my opinion it is showing a lack of respect towards your opponent if you are not in your chair and paying attention to the game in progress. I've been hesitant to let my opponent know how I feel about it, but I'm tempted to.

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether it's a tournament match, a gambling session, or just a set your playing with another player, curious as to your opinions as to whether it is disrespectful for them (or myself) to be on a cellphone texting, checking texts, etc. while your opponent is at the table shooting? In my opinion it is showing a lack of respect towards your opponent if you are not in your chair and paying attention to the game in progress. I've been hesitant to let my opponent know how I feel about it, but I'm tempted to.

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions?
Very disrespectful imo . I will not play someone that jacks with their phone while playing. I've told more than one to turn it off or i'm done. Most get the message. F^*k those that don't.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Former teammate was always on his phone. Missed a foul in a tournament match because of the distraction. Either pay atttention to your match or don't play!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Missed a foul in a tournament match because of the distraction.
This is why I don't care... Is it disrespectful..., ...definitely

There's a lot of information that can be noted by how your opponent plays. If the guy I'm playing rather not pay attention to my tendencies, then I call it an advantage.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I really don't care what they are doing as long as it isn't sharking
Might be something with his family
Might be trying to score a date

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Don't mind a quick check. When my kids were younger I would check real quick to make sure they weren't trying to get a hold of me.

Sitting there texting and scrolling... No good. I hate having to say its your turn all the time. Get in the game or go sit in the corner and let someone else play.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Under certain circumstances it's considered rude but in small doses it doesn't bother me at all. Our phones are a part of life. However, preoccupied to the extent that you can't even discuss the game because their face was constantly buried in their screen is a different story.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
As long as he isn't holding up the game by texting instead of playing, how could you possibly care?

What if he goes and gets a cup of coffee? Is that also disrespectful?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't care what they are doing as long as it isn't sharking
Might be something with his family
Might be trying to score a date
If it’s something important, I understand and that’s different, and they could have the courtesy to let you know.

It kind of falls under the same category of disrespect / lack of courtesy to me as someone who leaves to go to the restroom while I’m at the table shooting. Either go between games or go while you are at the table shooting, but don’t put me in the situation of having to stop and wait for you if I am at the table shooting!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as he isn't holding up the game by texting instead of playing, how could you possibly care?

What if he goes and gets a cup of coffee? Is that also disrespectful?
That falls under the same category as my last reply – as long as you do it while you are shooting or between games. To me that’s just common sense courtesy.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a non-violent solution to this.

Play him 5 or 10 bucks a game. Lose around 50 bucks intentionally. Pay him/her in pennies (Pesos, if you want that "international flare"). A giant bag of pennies. Just tell him/her, "Hey, it's all there." They still may insist on changing it out, counting, etc. Just tell them to hold on a second and make a cell phone call. Just talk away while he/she is left still figuring this out and trying to talk with you. Take a selfie with them in the background when finished, then walk away. All this will "fit" into the millennial mindset and to some, a very select few, you will be the hero. The hero that is talked about for decades to come, as you walk out of that pool hall with eyes starring at you in wonder and various masks of all kinds being worn. "Well done", some will say. You just nod and take your pool cue, yourself and your mask right the hell out of there to shoot another day.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That falls under the same category as my last reply – as long as you do it while you are shooting or between games. To me that’s just common sense courtesy.

The caveat for what I was asking is if they are in your sight line or not. If a guy is behind you (or otherwise obscured) and silently browsing on his phone, I don't know how that can possibly be of offense.

If he's screwing around in front of you, absolutely rude and unacceptable

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
There is a non-violent solution to this.

Play him 5 or 10 bucks a game. Lose around 50 bucks intentionally. Pay him/her in pennies (Pesos, if you want that "international flare"). A giant bag of pennies. Just tell him/her, "Hey, it's all there." They still may insist on changing it out, counting, etc. Just tell them to hold on a second and make a cell phone call. Just talk away while he/she is left still figuring this out and trying to talk with you. Take a selfie with them in the background when finished, then walk away. All this will "fit" into the millennial mindset and to some, a very select few, you will be the hero. The hero that is talked about for decades to come, as you walk out of that pool hall with eyes starring at you in wonder and various masks of all kinds being worn. "Well done", some will say. You just nod and take your pool cue, yourself and your mask right the hell out of there to shoot another day.

Um, ok boomer

filerunner

If they're talking on the phone within earshot so you have to listen to the conversation while you're shooting, that's rude and thoughtless. If they step away from the playing area and make or take a quick call, ok, but they should not be holding up the game. If they're out of the way and checking/texting it don't matter to me, as long as they're ready to shoot when I'm done.