Opponent on Cell Phone - Disrespectful ?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are apparently like me. I am usually oblivious to what my opponent is doing while I am shooting.
The problem arises when its their shot and you have to tell the ignorant sob, often numerous times, that its their shot. That's when i say something or walk. Its sad that people are SO addicted to their phone that they can't play pool for a few hours without it. HOW did we ever survive without them???

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The problem arises when its their shot and you have to tell the ignorant sob, often numerous times, that its their shot. That's when i say something or walk. Its sad that people are SO addicted to their phone that they can't play pool for a few hours without it. HOW did we ever survive without them???
Before cell phones, they just got drunk to the point you had to remind them numerous times that it's their shot. :D

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
It annoys me to no end.... If your phone is more important, forfeit the game go somewhere else. Before cell phones, I thought the most disrespectful thing was standing in the shooters' line of sight..... Not anymore, phone zombies have surpassed this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before cell phones, they just got drunk to the point you had to remind them numerous times that it's their shot. :D
Never had that happen in 40yrs of playing. Not once. Cell phone morons? Too many.

Last edited:

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Regardless of whether it's a tournament match, a gambling session, or just a set your playing with another player, curious as to your opinions as to whether it is disrespectful for them (or myself) to be on a cellphone texting, checking texts, etc. while your opponent is at the table shooting? In my opinion it is showing a lack of respect towards your opponent if you are not in your chair and paying attention to the game in progress. I've been hesitant to let my opponent know how I feel about it, but I'm tempted to.

Is this just the world we are living in now that we should accept, particularly regarding younger players? I feel like I'm doing a number of our younger less experienced and less skilled younger players a favor by playing with them and giving them the opportunity to learn from a better player. What good does that do them if they are not even paying attention to my shotmaking decisions?

I don't think any player should concern themselves with what their opponent is doing unless it has a direct impact on the game. What if your opponent is enjoying a meal or drinks between shots, which is often the case in a bar...... or socializing with a friend and not watching you? Does it really matter? If you feel slighted by your opponent doing things that have nothing to do with you.....then, in my opinion, you are the problem. That's not to say that you don't have the right to feel any way you wish but at the end of the day.....allowing your opponent to get in your head over trivial matters is no less than self sabotaging your game. Pool is 98% mental. Why shoot yourself in the foot over things that are out of your control? Learn to master your own emotions and you will have much more fun playing this game.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think any player should concern themselves with what their opponent is doing unless it has a direct impact on the game. What if your opponent is enjoying a meal or drinks between shots, which is often the case in a bar...... or socializing with a friend and not watching you? Does it really matter? If you feel slighted by your opponent doing things that have nothing to do with you.....then, in my opinion, you are the problem. That's not to say that you don't have the right to feel any way you wish but at the end of the day.....allowing your opponent to get in your head over trivial matters is no less than self sabotaging your game. Pool is 98% mental. Why shoot yourself in the foot over things that are out of your control? Learn to master your own emotions and you will have much more fun playing this game.
Sorry, but that‘s not the game I came to play. When I call a foul on myself and hand my opponent the cueball (who was busy socializing, or concentrating on his smartphone) and then have to explain to him why it is now his shot, I realize I should probably find something else to do.
When that situation becomes the norm, I would have to concede that the game is truly dead for me, and I might as well be playing pinball.