Ordering a new cue from a known cue maker. Should you order two wood shafts made or obtain one CF shaft?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point is that the flexing (or not) of the pool cue doesn't contribute as much to the power as a tennis racket or golf club shaft. I don't have to be empowered to have an opinion. Whatever can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence, as Christopher Hitchens famously said. I've seen zero evidence that carbon shafts or cues have anywhere NEAR the same effects as changing a tennis racket into carbon from wood. So I don't have to be especially "empowered" by the high council of pool cue fanciers to dismiss claims of that nature. If evidence were to be provided, I'd test the claims, then revise or keep my opinion. So far, nothing but opinion and anecdotal evidence have been provided, so I provide my own, which you are likewise free to dismiss.

I'm far from demeaning pool cues, in fact I'm standing up for them.

Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion as is everyone even when it might be informed or even uninformed.
That’s the very nature of an opinion. It reflects what you think of feel. It does not make it right nor wrong. It’s just
what you think. However, what you did was entirely dismiss out of hand without any remarks why my example of
tennis rackets wasn’t valid & then referred to sticks with tips. So naturally I challenged the abrupt dismissal of my
comparison of CF shafts with the evolutionary changes in tennis rackets. I already offered an example of golf drivers.
You just want to drive your point home regardless of any observations that might otherwise contradict your opinion.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory joints have little value with CF shafts since vibration transference
and dampening are altered by the molecular composition of the shaft,
unlike wood which is different material & also the use of longer ferrules.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion as is everyone even when it might be informed or even uninformed.
That’s the very nature of an opinion. It reflects what you think of feel. It does not make it right nor wrong. It’s just
what you think. However, what you did was entirely dismiss out of hand without any remarks why my example of
tennis rackets wasn’t valid & then referred to sticks with tips. So naturally I challenged the abrupt dismissal of my
comparison of CF shafts with the evolutionary changes in tennis rackets. I already offered an example of golf drivers.
You just want to drive your point home regardless of any observations that might otherwise contradict your opinion.

Opinion are just that opinions. Facts on the other had, are supported with information, data, research, or evidence to prove facts truth.

FakeNews, or rumor are just 🐂💩 made up information. Most of those who put out this bs, try hard to get many liers to report untruths. Trying hard to make make believe, believable.🤮

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd get a Cuetec Cynergy. Numerous joint sizes. Tried and tested. Easier to play with than the Revo, it has better feedback.

Sorry wood fans. ☮️

crazy8legs

Registered
I’d order two old school shafts, and that is the aircraft mechanic in me wanting redundancy in case I have a failure of the primary shaft. You always gotta have a backup plan!
A friend just pointed out another reason for two shafts, which I think is an even better reason to have two. (I don't think failures, like popping off a tip, are really that common.)

Dings! If you ding one you you can grab your other shaft and fix the dinged one later (or get your cue repair person to fix it later). That way you can almost always shoot with a smooth shaft.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend just pointed out another reason for two shafts, which I think is an even better reason to have two. (I don't think failures, like popping off a tip, are really that common.)

Dings! If you ding one you you can grab your other shaft and fix the dinged one later (or get your cue repair person to fix it later). That way you can almost always shoot with a smooth shaft.
Yes sir! If you need to send a shaft in for maintenance you always have a backup to play with. It’s really the only way to fly in my opinion.

xX-Wizard-Xx

The answer is simple ..... if you prefer wood shafts choose those ... if you like the ugly CF shafts choose those ....

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how cue makers in general, and especially the more elite names that have waiting lists
of a couple of years and longer, are affected, if at all? Are clients ordering cues without any orig.
maple shafts & 1 CF shaft, one orig. shaft & CF shaft or two shafts & a CF shaft? The last combo
would be the most expensive. Presuming CF shafts are ordered, which brand is the most popular
assuming the customer has specified one? If not, which would the cue maker select for his client?
Now that’s information I’d find interesting since it now only is what’s happening now but the trend.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I wonder how cue makers in general, and especially the more elite names that have waiting lists
of a couple of years and longer, are affected, if at all? Are clients ordering cues without any orig.
maple shafts & 1 CF shaft, one orig. shaft & CF shaft or two shafts & a CF shaft? The last combo
would be the most expensive. Presuming CF shafts are ordered, which brand is the most popular
assuming the customer has specified one? If not, which would the cue maker select for his client?
Now that’s information I’d find interesting since it now only is what’s happening now but the trend.
I think the majority of us who go to a cue maker know what we want. I doubt the latest trend affects them much. We are captive audience.

That said there are some offering cf shafts. I would love a prewitt built with cf in mind. It os the only build i would consider with cf right now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the majority of us who go to a cue maker know what we want. I doubt the latest trend affects them much. We are captive audience.

That said there are some offering cf shafts. I would love a prewitt built with cf in mind. It os the only build i would consider with cf right now.
So other than having Ed build you a cue butt you like, then including a CF shaft is the only addition.
I’d imagine he can’t add his fancy ring work to a CF shaft but I don’t know that to be true. Assuming
it was, then it’s simply a matter of choosing which CF shaft you’d prefer. The funny part even if Ed
could do fancy rings, it won’t make it play one bit different. It’s just added adornment or cue jewelry.

I happen to own a EP cue. The cue does play really well, IMO, with a firm hit. So to your way of thinking,
presuming you like the look, adding a CF shaft would fulfill your taste, need or desire for a EP cue with a
CF shaft. I submit that once you start changing the original cue build with different components, then the
uniqueness of that cue’s build, i.e., construction is compromised or lost. The design imagined is no longer
what it was conceived or planned to be and now it’s different. So an EP cue butt really isn’t any different
from a Jerry R. Cue butt when both weight the same and use the same pin and joint. I guess that would
apply to my Owen cues that are the same as my Prewitt cue. So pretty much any cue butt would work the
same as my EP cue butt with CF shaft as long as it had the same specs that all my cues happen to have.

I think if you own a cue you like, just get the CF shaft. Having a cue butt built by a cue maker and adding
only a CF shaft seems frivolous since any cue butt could substitute as long as it had the weight you wanted.
Ed is a top notch cue builder and his cues are always in demand which is why the waiting list is so long. Since
I own a EP cue, his cue butt construction isn’t one bit superior to Bob Owens, Jerry R or Tim Scruggs, IMO.
And I’m sure that applies to lots of other cue makers as well. But as a total package, his cues and matching
shafts are among the best made in the USA which is why there are few for sale & new cue orders wait is long.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
@Bavafongoul Ed has been doing a cored butt with cf, and cf shafts. He is doing matching ringwork on his cf shafts. A build like that sounds incredible to me. But i was only using Ed as an example.

I am not that interested mixing and matching butts and shafts. One of the key reasons i prefer customs over production is the balance and I enjoy learning what each cuemaker does to tweak their builds. As soon as you turn it into a Frankenstein cue you are no longer using it as the cuemaker intended. I do have one exception. I have a tasc butt that i use a searing shaft on. What a great pairing ;)

The question was about if cuemakers were being affected by these cf shafts. I answered i didn't believe so because those of us who order from them know what we want from that cue maker. I used Ed as an example of a cue maker i would like to get cf shaft from.

i appreciate different makers for different reasons. Not sure where the comparison between quality came into the discussion.