Original by palmer

NewNerd

Good evening everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with identifying what kind of cue this is. Such as if it's collectible or a potential value. Or if it's worth getting cleaned up a bit.
And I guess my next question is how do I post a picture. I keep getting told it's too large of a photo to upload

Solution
Palmer Second Catalog- model J- The cue that you own was partially constructed by a famous cue maker- Gus Szamboti- He provided Palmer with the base section of this cue which is above the linen wrapped handle. It is hard to tell from one small photo the exact condition of this cue. In any event, in a general auction such as E bay this cue would reach over $1,000 and potentially a bit above $2,000 as is.

NewNerd

Good evening everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with identifying what kind of cue this is. Such as if it's collectible or a potential value. Or if it's worth getting cleaned up a bit.
And I guess my next question is how do I post a picture. I keep getting told it's too large of a photo to upload
Good evening everyone!
Update. I figured out the picture thing!

Attachments

• Original By Palmer.jpg
    Original By Palmer.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 176

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmer Second Catalog- model J- The cue that you own was partially constructed by a famous cue maker- Gus Szamboti- He provided Palmer with the base section of this cue which is above the linen wrapped handle. It is hard to tell from one small photo the exact condition of this cue. In any event, in a general auction such as E bay this cue would reach over $1,000 and potentially a bit above $2,000 as is.

Solution

NewNerd

B
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the identification and backstory!
I was looking through the catalogs from the site listed above and it looked like it more closely resembled a model M 2nd cat just with a white wrapping. Why do you say J. Out of curiosity.

NewNerd

From the model M?
Ok. Does the model M look different from the model J now?
Hint....
Points versus squiggly veneer lines!
Sorry, I see the differences.
And I have figured out why I thought it looked like an M.... On my phone the letters weren't properly aligned with their respective cue on the site so the M was in the J spot and then i didn't properly read the identifier right at the top of the screen lol. Thanks again for the classification. sorry for any confusion!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the identification and backstory!
I was looking through the catalogs from the site listed above and it looked like it more closely resembled a model M 2nd cat just with a white wrapping. Why do you say J. Out of curiosity.
Your cue is a model J - Gus Szamboti reverse points into ebony nose. The model M was a cue with winding veneers that some referred to as the "Marilyn Monroe" cue as the veneers were likened to Marilyn's hour glass figure. Only Palmer founder Gene Balner could execute the Model M veneer work on that particular cue. Your model J should bring $1500 to $2500 at general auction. It all depends upon original condition.

NewNerd

Your cue is a model J - Gus Szamboti reverse points into ebony nose. The model M was a cue with winding veneers that some referred to as the "Marilyn Monroe" cue as the veneers were likened to Marilyn's hour glass figure. Only Palmer founder Gene Balner could execute the Model M veneer work on that particular cue. Your model J should bring $1500 to $2500 at general auction. It all depends upon original condition.
that's pretty substantial... any tips on judging the condition? Or would you possibly recommend refurbishing it to bring out more value?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Condition would include straightness of the shaft and cue butt - degree of original cue butt wood finish that is still intact and degree of sheen retention. Condition of the wrap on the handle, any nicks or checks in the wood of the cue beyond the cue surface finish. Any loose or missing pearl inlays, is the cue metal joint and joint screw secure , many items on a cue that can be evaluated for condition -

If the cue is in good overall condition as is then I would not recommend doing anything further if you wish to sell it