Phenolic Tips Legal Where?

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
A friend of mine asked me yesterday, if the pros are allowed to use a phenolic tip in any of the major tournaments. I told him that I assumed not, but was unsure. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
As far as I know

they were only banned in the IPT tournaments, which brings another point I would like to bring up a little. I have noticed on TV matches where the tables seem to be breaking ridiculously easy. Soft to medium strokes with the wing ball going in the corner every time or the 1 in the side. Watch the Mosconi Cup matches, for example.

I guarantee you that would not be happening if I racked the balls ...... :D

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yes, the "soft break" seems to be coming into vogue. It's nice to see others catch on to what I've done for years....that is, I try to smash 'em, but I end up with a soft break, nothing going in...;) :D

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
they were only banned in the IPT tournaments, which brings another point I would like to bring up a little. I have noticed on TV matches where the tables seem to be breaking ridiculously easy. Soft to medium strokes with the wing ball going in the corner every time or the 1 in the side. Watch the Mosconi Cup matches, for example.

I guarantee you that would not be happening if I racked the balls ...... :D

If you were useing the same ranking machine that is being used, i'm sorry but you would get the same results. Plus 9 is going on the spot. I don't care for it either but it is what it is.

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is why i dislike the Sardo rack..it is a great invention ..but the break is the most important shot in nine ball..and having the ability to know that the head ball will go in the side or the wing ball goes everytime takes so much out of the game to me. I love Earl the Pearl apparoach...slam the crap out of them but keep control of the cue ball..i have seen him use the soft break to keep up with everyone else but i just can reign in my break like that..my break is like a Pure blooded Arabian Stud..it wants to just run..so i let it run..damn the torpeodes..haha