Physical workout for proper stroke?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I wonder what you fellow instructors think of an idea of pumping the muscles that operate one's stroking arm? Kind of what golfers do. Of course they focus on driving more than putting in regard with muscle training, but there are ways to train upper body for better putt as well.

Recently I've heard some opinion that it might be applicable to pool too. But so far I'm just a bit sceptical that building relevent muscle groups is THAT important to have a good pool stroking motion.

Opinions?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
building muscles

I wonder what you fellow instructors think of an idea of pumping the muscles that operate one's stroking arm? Kind of what golfers do. Of course they focus on driving more than putting in regard with muscle training, but there are ways to train upper body for better putt as well.

Recently I've heard some opinion that it might be applicable to pool too. But so far I'm just a bit sceptical that building relevent muscle groups is THAT important to have a good pool stroking motion.

Opinions?

I'd say that a consistent and effective stroke in pool depends more on cultivating "muscle memory" than muscle strength. Muscle training is not the same as muscle building.

So it has more to do with body awareness (feeling what a good stroke feels like), and building a good memory bank of properly executed strokes.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Opinions?

Fatigue is your stroke's biggest enemy.

Strengthen your leg muscles. They're the ones holding you up.

As for arms, I'd say lean and mean. Overall good physical conditioning works best.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Fatigue is your stroke's biggest enemy.

Strengthen your leg muscles. They're the ones holding you up.

As for arms, I'd say lean and mean. Overall good physical conditioning works best.

Good point Fran.

Two quotes:

Vince Lombardi said, 'Fatigue makes cowards of us all'.

Rocky's trainer Mickey said...

Well, never mind.

But what he meant was to stay strong in the legs.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said this in another thread but I will repeat it here. If I had limited time to exercise I would spend 10 minutes a day doing plank exercises with its many variations. It is a full body workout along with mental toughness.

It works the core like no other... Inner core, outer core, upper, lower, obliques, your back... It does it all when it comes to the core. You can also lift one leg to work the quads of the planted leg and the hamstrings on the lifted leg and the butt. Your upper body gets a workout too... Arms, chest, back, shoulders, it does it all.

10 minutes is plenty even for people in great shape. Maintain perfect posture too, dont cheat to make it easy. Keep your head up and work that back... Keep the body straight to get them abs. If you can maintain perfect posture for 10 minutes then you are solid.

Work your mind too. Set yourseelf a goal a little out of your comfort zone and stay focused and dont give up. The target time is when you feel as if there is no way you can make the last 30 seconds... make it though.

Once you become solid you can use this exercise to really sculpt your body. Focus on a specific body part and how you want it to look and flex the muscle visualizing the fibers getting worked so that they can grow exactly how you picture them.

It is a great workout and it only takes 10 minutes. Try it. Search the web for variations, write the variations and times you are going to do, then use a timer and get started.

P.S. Dont forget to do a warm up before each workout. This not only prepares the body but it also gets the mind started on those days when you just dont feel like working out.

Make this a daily habit.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for benefits to your pool game, I dont think there is a lot of direct benefit performance wise other than as metioned the fatigue level.

I do think that working out makes you look and feel better though so indirectly I think working out helps because your attitude is important in a game like pool that is so mental.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a sample workout.

2:00. Push up position
1:00. Plank on elbows
1:00. On elbows one leg raised
1:00. On elbows other leg raised
1:00. On elbow side plank
1:00. Other side
1:00. Push up position
2:00. Plank on elbows

Spend 10-15 seconds between each exercise to shake loose.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Opinions?

Physical workout for proper stroke?

I use a 3lb ankle weight tightly rolled and slid down the cue to the end of the butt.
I get into my normal stance and shooting position and do 2 sets of 50 reps, bringing the cue back slowly and then pulling the cue forward beginning slowly and gradually accelerating to my end of stroke (finish).
Works for me. Give it a try.

John

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I decided to put up a question for instructors to see what they think about muscle training (building? - I can't see if there is any difference, maybe in English there is) for pool and billiards in general.
The reason is this:

h-ibs.jpg

One man invented a device he called "highly intensive billiard simulator" which is intended for stroke training. It has some really wonderful features for such a tool. I will start a thread in the main forum so that everyone who doesn't visit instructors forum often could join the conversation. I think it's an interesting subject, hardly ever discussed before in regard to cue sports.