Pics of Mosconi's Rambows and Balabushkas

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After thinking about it I'd probably commission a cue builder for a Rambow tribute and one that Mosconi had. If we can focus on Rambow's owned by Mosconi that would be great.

That pic of the Rambow he ran 526 with is amazing.

Well if you decided on a Mosconi Rambow, I doubt you will find any pics of his older Rambows that would be nicer than the one he ran the 526 as shown in this post. I would say you can stop your search right there and start selecting the cue maker- no other Rambow would be more historically significant than that one either.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any chance you can PM his email? I just want to ask if he has some of Rambow's cues that Mosconi played with so I can see some pics of them.

Sorry, I do not have Denny's email but I believe he is on Facebook so perhaps you can contact him via PM there.

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you decided on a Mosconi Rambow, I doubt you will find any pics of his older Rambows that would be nicer than the one he ran the 526 as shown in this post. I would say you can stop your search right there and start selecting the cue maker- no other Rambow would be more historically significant than that one either.

You're right it's beautiful in many ways and has historic significance. I usually prefer ebony over the lighter woods but might have to make an exception since the cue is amazing.

I contacted Pete about making the cue. He made me a Mosconi Balabushka tribute that is amazing. Plays amazing and the details are perfect. He was even able to source some original gold acrylic rings somehow.

Still though I'd like to see more Rambow's that Mosconi owned just to have some references.

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I do not have Denny's email but I believe he is on Facebook so perhaps you can contact him via PM there.

Thanks I found Denny's email and sent him one this morning. Hopefully he writes back and sends some pics of Mosconi Rambow's. Then I'll post the pics for all to see.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On May 14 2011 there was an auction of Willie Mosconi's personal billiard items conducted by Hunt Auctions. They produced a detailed photo catalog for that auction. There are several detailed pics of Willie's cues in that catalog. Perhaps you can find one on the internet for sale or contact Hunt Auctions in Pennsylvania to get a copy from May 14,2011 in hard copy or on the internet. www.huntauctions.com

Phone 610 524 0822

Willie’s Cue

9E54D715-BD88-4964-AAFE-7A672BF182B2.jpeg

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been searching the internet for pics of Mosconi's Rambow and Balabushka cues. I can't find anything reliable since there are so many tributes and replicas.

In fact, there is a thread here on AZ where a guy commissioned a cue builder to make a tribute Balabushka cue. He sent the cue builder a pic of an Adams and got a tribute of an Adams cue.

I don't want that to happen if I commission a cue builder for a Rambow or Balabushka tribute.

Thanks guys.

This cue was an endeavor much like your idea. The woods were chosen from a collection of old growth wood that had aged many decades. Tight and straight grained highly figured BEM, deep, dark, jet black Ebony. Off they went to John Davis to craft a 5 veneer front, which was flawlessly executed. Because there was no way to add the rings above the wrap a full splice John Davis blank was not in order.

This cue would not have been possible without the owner of the original Balabushka giving exact details and answering all questions during the collaboration.

In addition to using the finest woods for construction the cue utilized the finest natural materials too. New, old stock Brunswick KU bumper nestles inside a Delrin butt cap.

I relate all of this to show you that your dream Balabushka tribute can become a reality. Good luck!

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue was an endeavor much like your idea. The woods were chosen from a collection of old growth wood that had aged many decades. Tight and straight grained highly figured BEM, deep, dark, jet black Ebony. Off they went to John Davis to craft a 5 veneer front, which was flawlessly executed. Because there was no way to add the rings above the wrap a full splice John Davis blank was not in order.

This cue would not have been possible without the owner of the original Balabushka giving exact details and answering all questions during the collaboration.

In addition to using the finest woods for construction the cue utilized the finest natural materials too. New, old stock Brunswick KU bumper nestles inside a Delrin butt cap.

Absolutely stunning cue!! Thank you for sharing the pics and the methods used to get it built!!

I relate all of this to show you that your dream Balabushka tribute can become a reality. Good luck!

Absolutely stunning cue!! Thank you for sharing the pics and the methods used to get it built!!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I was in Vegas for Mosconi Cup in December and a couple friends of mine got an invite to view the Denny Glenn Collection. I was fortunate enough to tag along.

49707823276_559947a3b6_b.jpg

Very cool. Then you saw a lot of historic cues. Nice! I'd love to hit some balls with "526". Not for playability reasons but just to say I did :smile:

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool. Then you saw a lot of historic cues. Nice! I'd love to hit some balls with "526". Not for playability reasons but just to say I did :smile:

I spoke to Pete and he needs better pics of the 526 cue to make a.good tribute. Still waiting to hear from Mr. Glenn.