Played and Unplayed

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jkmarshall_cues said:
Myron,

First off I must say WOW!! I'm jealous. That Szam is nice, but the BB splice work looks fantastic. I bet they both look much nicer up close and personal. I've never owned a BB or Szamboti. Out here where I live we don't see many available for sale, nor are the locals playing with them. My loss obviously. Looks like I may have to sell a couple of my cues and try one out.

Thanks for sharing.
John
John

The BB was a dream come true as far as finding. This one was a search that spanned about 18 months I will have to give credit to Bill Grassley for locating this cue and working with me on obtaining the cue. As soon as I received it, the cue went directly to Tony for a face-lift and some new wardrobe (replaced the linen wrap with lizard).

The Szamboti is something that I had always wished for but thought that the prices were untouchable for me. I have to give credit to Sean of CueAddicts who has always kept in contact since we first met at VF in 2005 and who kept an eye open for things of interest. This Barry was less expensive than those I had a chance to pick up in between those times and what makes this one really special is that it is in mint condition and unplayed. It is my plan not to play this cue right now but if I ever get my dream home built (already own the land and just saving to break ground) I plan to have a Diamond table and the Barry may have the Christening of the first set of balls (will just have to see).

So John, these cues do exist out there and all you need to do is just put in a couple of requests to the people who see these cues regularly. I would definitely consider contacting:
  • Sean of CueAddicts (they uncover cues that may not make it to their web page)
  • Bill Grassley of Cornerstone (he has a really nice rosewood Barry for about $4500)
  • Mike Gartland of Quality Cues (now Mike has access to some gems that he has never posted to the forum but they do in fact go for more than a pretty penny).
  • Ken Kerner and his partner Ken Carfagno of Highendcues (let's just say they have a few Gus cues right now…Worth taking a look at these!)
Now there are others who may be able to help with your search but the ones I listed have been involved in my search for cues.
So unload a cue or two and step up to a dream.
I sure did!
Myron

Last edited:

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice. That means I need to think about selling my Palmer model J's, Verl Horn, and a mess of titlist conversion cues I have collected over the years. When the time is right, off they'll go. I really appreciate the leads, not many people give away their honey hole, it's like cue builders giving up their shaft wood suppliers.

I've done business with Mike before and was very pleased with the Joss West I bought from him.

Good luck with the new house.

Take care,
John

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jkmarshall_cues said:
Thanks for the advice. That means I need to think about selling my Palmer model J's, Verl Horn, and a mess of titlist conversion cues I have collected over the years. When the time is right, off they'll go. I really appreciate the leads, not many people give away their honey hole, it's like cue builders giving up their shaft wood suppliers.

I've done business with Mike before and was very pleased with the Joss West I bought from him.

Good luck with the new house.

Take care,
John
John

There is one more Szam that I have my eyes on.
Will keep that one near to my chest so passing some information on where to go is probably pretty easy to share.

Good luck and hope to see you post a gem or two from the Szam family as well.
Myron

Balance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow,What's a beautiful and classic cues

Congrats to get these two gems in your collections.I just got one about two weeks ago and love it so much.

I'm wondering that is it a good news or not cause i can't stop tracing to collect Barry in my coffer.:p

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance said:
Congrats to get these two gems in your collections.I just got one about two weeks ago and love it so much.

I'm wondering that is it a good news or not cause i can't stop tracing to collect Barry in my coffer.:p
Thank you so very much my friend.
I will look at your collection as something I would like to copy.

Now I will have to move a couple of cues I not longer use to make room for another gem. Trivial pieces but cues that do take room (Coker, Schon, Stacey are the first to be moved).

Have a wonderful day,
Myron

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-ball Rat said:
I'll see if I can time it to where Matt and I are there at the same time....and I'll hold him back from trying to shoot some balls with the Szam.

He don't look like much...but he's squirrely!! :) :)

I'm not sure how to take that.......don't make me give you a first hand presentation of the GUN SHOW Mr. Rat!

Damn, maybe I need to shoot less pool, lift more weights???.........................nnaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Balance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi man,

What can I say!!

I'm just nobody and all I can do is watching your collection that could give me more ideas to trace.

Nice Job and fall in love with your Barry !!:D

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance said:
Hi man,

What can I say!!

I'm just nobody and all I can do is watching your collection that could give me more ideas to trace.

Nice Job and fall in love with your Barry !!:D
More ideas...I have one from your avatar. Would love to have the ebony cue one day but that will have to wait until such time I get a Diamond at home.
A dream but I love to dream! :)

Myron