Played in 1st tournament in over 10yrs

SSP

Nothing like competition to bring your defects to light, this was a little hometown $5 tourney, there are some good players there, got one practice game in and got a break and run on a little bar box table, single game elimination with a losers bracket, 1st game started a break and run had an EASY shot, so easy that all I did was pay attention to the leave, we all know how this one ends, 1 game 1loss, In the losers round, break and run all the way to the eight ball, missed shape on the eight and left myself a hard shot, Did I consider a safe, nope? Did I look to see if the shot might scratch? nope, another loss and an exit in this tournament, It wasn't a waste though, learned some valuable lessons and it only cost me $5.

PracticeChampion

Nothing like competition to bring your defects to light, this was a little hometown $5 tourney, there are some good players there, got one practice game in and got a break and run on a little bar box table, single game elimination with a losers bracket, 1st game started a break and run had an EASY shot, so easy that all I did was pay attention to the leave, we all know how this one ends, 1 game 1loss, In the losers round, break and run all the way to the eight ball, missed shape on the eight and left myself a hard shot, Did I consider a safe, nope? Did I look to see if the shot might scratch? nope, another loss and an exit in this tournament, It wasn't a waste though, learned some valuable lessons and it only cost me $5.
Welcome back...
Nerves usually controls the game LoL.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 1 can be a bit funny, but depending on the format not too bad. Usually those are done with a re-draw and say 3 or 4 losses before one is out to make it worth playing in. When I was traveling in the Lansing area in MI I got into a few single game triple elimination tournaments and had fun playing in those. Each time I lasted pretty deep without a loss but then lost 3 right before the money LOL Aside from that, anyone can win. As you saw it just takes one mistake late in the game for an easy win for the other guy. See my username here :)

Reactions: SSP

BuffaloSlim

I wish I could blame it on nerves but I can't, not taking the time to look at all options was the problem, if I was in the shower in prison with some guy behind me THAT would make me nervous.
Well hell that would make me nervous too

BuffaloSlim

I just found a local weekly 9 ball tournament also .. $10 buy in i think I may start playing in it .. 10 bucks is cheap entertainment these days

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one local 8 ball tournament where the worst thing I did was lose the coin toss twice.
Lose 1st toss, opponent breaks and makes the 8 ball. Okay, off to the losers bracket.
Next game lose toss again, opponent breaks and runs out.
Gee...THAT was fun!!

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I remember one local 8 ball tournament where the worst thing I did was lose the coin toss twice.
Lose 1st toss, opponent breaks and makes the 8 ball. Okay, off to the losers bracket.
Gee...THAT was fun!!
Time to find a tournament with a race. The local tournament I occasionally go to has a race to 3 with alternating breaks. At least you get 6 games for your $5 at the very worst.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time to find a tournament with a race. The local tournament I occasionally go to has a race to 3 with alternating breaks. At least you get 6 games for your $5 at the very worst.

Race to 3, even races, are probably my favorite local weekly tournament format.

SSP

Gee...THAT was fun!!
can't blame yourself for that one

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you that you got out there and put yourself in the mix. Even better that you have good spirits about it and that you've identified a few things to correct for the next time. Keep playing!
We have a local 8-ball tournament that runs like a chip tournament. Top guys get two losses, me and most others get three, and some others (mostly lower handicap players) get four losses. A random draw means you play a different person each round so you never know who you'll get. There is one guy that they call "the pro" that I've played three times now. He broke and ran on me twice, and the other time I broke dry and he ran out. I'm really looking forward to playing a defensive shot against him someday.

SSP

Good for you that you got out there and put yourself in the mix. Even better that you have good spirits about it and that you've identified a few things to correct for the next time. Keep playing!
We have a local 8-ball tournament that runs like a chip tournament. Top guys get two losses, me and most others get three, and some others (mostly lower handicap players) get four losses. A random draw means you play a different person each round so you never know who you'll get. There is one guy that they call "the pro" that I've played three times now. He broke and ran on me twice, and the other time I broke dry and he ran out. I'm really looking forward to playing a defensive shot against him someday.