Playing with a warped cue

skydawg

Registered
I guess everybody does,since nothing is perfect,but I was wondering how much warp is acceptable by good players.Is 1/16" of daylight under a high spot cause for abandoning a favorite cue?In theory,it shouldn`t matter since the tip should return to the same spot on impact regardless of the deviation caused by the warp during the stroke.Have there been world class players who have won with cues that had a bit of a curve,or is there no "old favorite" mentality at that level?

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
they say as long as the tip stays on the table when rolled, then it's ok.
as for me, i dont roll my cues. knowing that the cue isn't "perfectly straight" would affect focus. sometimes people even blame their "un-straight" cue after missing a shot.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I used to know a fellow by the name of Sammy "Feet and Onions" Walowitz (no relation to the guy on TV), who played with a cue that looked like one of those long bows in a Robin Hood movie. Crooked as a dog's hind leg.
On the forearm of the cue were four dots (FaO painted them there with his old ladies fingernail polish), equadistant from each other, and labled: up, down, left, right.
The reason for the labeling was to indicate which way to hold the cue for the type of shot needed. For a straight shot the label would read: up. For shots requiring left-hand english the label would read: left. For right hand english it would be: right. For the occasional jump shot he would use the side marked: down.
Old "Feet and Onions" played with this cue for quite awhile, and was very successful with it, until he inadvertantly left it in the trunk of his car, on a really hot summer's day, and the damn thing warped back straight.
FaO was never the same, after that. :smile:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Shafts with minor warps can be straightened if it bothers you enough, but unless the bend is very near the tip it shouldn't affect your physical game too much. The mental side of it might make it far worse than it is though.

Laminated shafts seem to straighten better than regular maple shafts. It is a delicate process and you can ruin the shaft trying it if you are not careful so proceed at your own risk. Search for the "Who Can Straighten a Shaft, Manwon can!" (I think) for the original method. I substitute a heat gun on low for his burner technique.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
If you address the cueball properly, the bend can be anywhere and it won't affect your shooting.

It seems far worse the closer a bend is to the tip and tends to throw people off more. And yes, I know exactly what you are saying. Either way, a bend of 1/16" shouldn't bother anyone too much.

As far as the OP's question on, "old favorites", Keith McCready mentioned in an article posted earlier today he thought he would have played better if he had stuck to one cue.

Efren's old cue was reported to have been terribly warped.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Warped cues

In a bar worry about the guy that......

nah, I'm gonna say, you have to figure
it out anyway.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Played w/ many a warped cue, never much of a problem. My warped mind gets me into trouble though.