please explain the alphabetical rankings to me

metallicarokerx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok i know an A player is the best but how do you measure what you are.. i would like to know what i am.. can you guys tell me some ways to guage my speed?? thanks
 
A is not the best

A is not the best. There was a good discussion about this about a month or two ago which you
should be able to find by searching. I remember participating in it, and mentioned some of Phil
Capelle's words, so maybe a search on his name would turn it up quickly.

EDIT: Well, I guess if you are just talking single letters (A-D) and not open or pro, then A is the best.
I had to make this edit after thinking about it, so I wouldn't sound like an idiot!
 
Last edited:
F....a right-handed monkey playing left-handed.

D....+35 social players who play in leagues.

C....has moments but is hampered by inconsistancy.

B....shoots well, sometimes runout player.

A....shoots great, understands the game, runs out.

it was decided that there is little difference twixt F and D players, so the E grade was eliminated for the sake of simplicity, but they are out there,,,,,,,,,,lurking.
 
whitey2 said:
EDIT: Well, I guess if you are just talking single letters (A-D) and not open or pro, then A is the best.
I had to make this edit after thinking about it, so I wouldn't sound like an idiot!

don't worry, our opinion of you hasn't changed. :)
 
Another correction

Well, I'm not sure how to interpret that last comment, oh well.

But after a search I found the thread I was speaking of, and I actually mentioned the existence of a
rating system by Jack Kohler, not Phil Capelle. Here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=57989
 
Last edited:
Ahhh the fundamental problem in pool personified. Nobody knows how good they are, we have ideas, but I think in the end unless an official body of pool comes out with a very quantifable rating system then nobody is going to truly know how good they are. A caviot, what kind of equipment are we talking about here? This literally makes all the difference. Size of table, speed of table, size of pockets, deepness of the shelf. etc. Yeah now that I think of it we will never know. lol.
 
and it matters where you live...

can think of one place that has c tournaments and every one of them can run out given half a chance, not to mention string a few racks together.
 
RunoutalloverU said:
Ahhh the fundamental problem in pool personified. Nobody knows how good they are, we have ideas, but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

well,,,,everyone thinks they're as good as their best game, having short oversight of those sh!tty games they played in between.
 
not everyone

Not everyone! I found out a couple days ago just how bad I play on a table with 50+ year old
rails and new cheap cloth against a really good player who is *used to* that equipment.

I'll be the first to admit it. When it was all over, and I got home and "relived" the night, I can't
believe I kept forgetting how bad the rails played. It was so deceiving with the new (but slow)
cloth. I would get up from the chair, make a few shots that did not require rails, get in a groove,
and then when I had to get to the other end of the table using the rails I would come up pitifully
short. Back to the chair for a while. I felt like D player that night, and rightfully so.
 
cubswin said:
and it matters where you live...

can think of one place that has c tournaments and every one of them can run out given half a chance, not to mention string a few racks together.

I guess it all depends on the ranking system, the fewer letter ratings you have, the better the players are on the bottom end.

Around here we have D, C, B, A, AA, AAA, semi pro, pro. I like to call what we have, ratings inflation. Our AA players are probably A players and our A players are more like B players by most other ratings IMHO.

That said, I've stopped caring about ratings, I'm more interested in making those balls in them pockets. Also I find that sometimes knowing what someone is rated in relation to yourself can often shark you out of the win. It can give you excuse to lose, which is something you don't need.

On the other hand, if I am having an off day and getting my ass kicked, I don't want to know how low his/her rating is.
 
RunoutalloverU said:
A caviot, what kind of equipment are we talking about here? This literally makes all the difference. Size of table, speed of table, size of pockets, deepness of the shelf. etc.


That's what I always say. Who cant runout on a 8 foot gold crown with buckets and new cloth? You are a threat to string some racks on a 9 foot with tough pockets then you can play. That's my rating system.

Eric.
 
I rack balls,
I understand the meaning of your post, but overall do not agree. Running out on an 8 ft table, even with buckets, still requires a level of play unknown to the casual player. It requires a strong understanding of the game, cue ball control, and well honed speed control. These are things the average casual player does not have a real clue of. Someone who can run out on a 9 ft table with tight pockets has just perfected them to a higher level. Their is a much bigger difference in the player that can run out an 8 ft table vs the casual player, and one that can run out a 9 vs an 8.
 
mantis99 said:
I rack balls,
I understand the meaning of your post, but overall do not agree. Running out on an 8 ft table, even with buckets, still requires a level of play unknown to the casual player. It requires a strong understanding of the game, cue ball control, and well honed speed control. These are things the average casual player does not have a real clue of. Someone who can run out on a 9 ft table with tight pockets has just perfected them to a higher level. Their is a much bigger difference in the player that can run out an 8 ft table vs the casual player, and one that can run out a 9 vs an 8.

Yea you are right. I was just pissed because I just lost in a tournament on 8 foot gold crowns with buckets :D If it were on the 9 foot shimmed diamonds I like to practice on it would have been a different story.

Eric.
 
I wont gamble on anything that has bigger pockets than 4 inches. I do not want to see my opponent run out when the ball hits the side of the rail.
 
RunoutalloverU said:
I wont gamble on anything that has bigger pockets than 4 inches. I do not want to see my opponent run out when the ball hits the side of the rail.

I wish I had that luxury. I can't get a $50 set on the nine footer with virgin pockets.

Eric.
 
Back
Top