Please post pics of exotic woods w/identification

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking of having a custom cue made, but have limited knowledge of some of the finer wood choices available. I'll probably keep it relatively simple a merry widow or basic four pointer with veneers. Not into inlays or just a few simple ones. But my primary goal here is to see some of the beautiful woods available and have them identified. No need to see BE or Cocobolo (unless extraordinary) as I'm familiar with those. I'm including my main current cues as a starting point. Thank you.
97dfcd03f53459079452af2c99f066c0.jpg
9753268f337ae9d6ac0be840debf3628.jpg
d19c8f8737143d121b474d0e57093f17.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Would you mind of I piggyback off this, and post a picture of some wood I have, but can't ID? ...If so, let me know and I'll delete it.

I've had 3 or 4 people look at this wood, and they're unable to ID it. Most likely it's an exotic rain forest hardwood of some sort. It's very dense, hard, and heavy. It's been sitting in my garage for +/- 15 years.

I have 3 boards, roughly 36" long x 4" wide x 1-1/18 thick.

I would like to have a cue made. I probably have enough for a couple cues. The only problem is it's thickness. Not thick enough for a butt, however maybe with veneers?

Here's a picture. "Unfinished" on top. "Finished" with a coat of polyurethane below. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely beautiful in person.

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 653

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment. I'm wondering if a talented cue maker could glue two pieces of your boards together to create a 2¼" block. Seam could be subtle or a thin veneer (or 3) between the boards could make for an interesting cue.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of all the merry widow cues I have either owned or seen, Huebler cues in the mid 1980s made a cue from Brazilian Rosewood that was as nice as any wood on a cue from a visual perspective. I believe the model that I owned was Huebler AS-H2. I wish I never sold it- see if you can find an image of that cue- I think you may like it! Also, McDermott made a cue of the month many years ago from Bocote wood which was also very eye appealing- there are many images of this wood online. I sold that one too!

Last edited:

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have lots of pictures but I don't want to hog your thread.

View attachment 521515

Would love it if you posted pics of the 1st & last in this batch wants there finished Mike. I`ve never seen any cues made using these woods. I see all are cored as well. Love seeing what your working on sir. Keep up the great work & thanks for sharing.
Jeff

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love it if you posted pics of the 1st & last in this batch wants there finished Mike. I`ve never seen any cues made using these woods. I see all are cored as well. Love seeing what your working on sir. Keep up the great work & thanks for sharing.
Jeff

Thank you Jeff
1St up. The Asian curl. I havent worked the Afzielia yet. But some others.

IMG_20190531_141952.jpg
IMG_20190531_142943.jpg
IMG_20190531_142402.jpg
IMG_20190531_141636.jpg
IMG_20190531_142225.jpg

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a Zircote merry widow from Chris Nitti. It is hard to fully capture the grain but this photo is the best I've taken.
621f97b3bc17bb4c352f000091a7c2d7.jpg

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Purpleheart and Bocote:

DSC_0763.jpg

Rosewood, straight grain maple (1st) and rosewood and curly (3rd):

IMG_0041.jpg

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member