please switch shoes...

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To all IPT selected players -
As a player looking from the outside, could you please stop (just for a second) and remember where you were before the IPT selected you. We were all one happy broke family of pool players.

I know many a players who were selected and I am extremely happy for them and all other players selected. BUT, take note of IPT cardholders (who IMO were questionable selections) have suddenly began acting as if they are above the rest of us just because they have an opportunity to make some legitimate money.

Just because a player was not selected does not mean we should nor will be happy now that we are no longer part of the family. It has all become business now, like good pool players (at large) know how to manage the money they had before the IPT came along.

I am interested to see how well they do after they start collecting money. One business that will be happy for sure will be the Venetian in July. Think of a bunch pool players with semi-lined pockets feeling good about their NEW profession. Ah, and there is a craps table just outside the tournament room.

Wishing nothing bad, but some of us would have done quite well in the IPT, but we won't even risk the qualifier money because it just doesn't fit into good business practice.

Maybe by the 2007 year end it will be different but for now it just seems rude for IPT players on this forum to talk about anyone looking from the outside. We really had no choice in the matter. It was just a bad roll and we have to live without the opportunity.

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt,

I don't think the issue is that the IPT players actually think that they are better than others now. I know, speaking for myself, I haven't changed a bit, other than realizing how excited I am about pool again. Given the criteria for becoming an IPT player FOR THE FIRST YEAR, I feel as though I was a perfect fit and was very appreciative for being chosen and will do my best to show that in every way. I will NOT be made to feel as though others deserved it when I didn't. I have worked hard for the past 28 years not only on my playing career, but also in promoting pool. The cold reality of it is that there are many players who are not on that list that are better players than me and for whatever reason they did not get chosen. It is possible that they didn't get their application in in time and, I'm sorry..... not having a computer is NOT an excuse. If you wanted a job bad enough, you would do whatever was necessary to get that job and you would do it by the deadline. For others, it is possible that the only reason they weren't chosen was because, even though they were great players, they may not have had much of a resume past that. Still others may not have been chosen because, it is my understanding, that KT wanted a diverse group of representatives for this first year. This is his perrogative - and this is something that I said BEFORE I was chosen. In the press releases that were written during the application process it was made clear that he wanted this diverse group of people that had made contributions of every kind to pool. This is a great idea, I believe, as it allows this tv audience to see that people of ALL skill levels and ALL walks of life can play this game. After all, for all of you great players, this is the best thing that could happen for YOU! The more potential spectators and lower level players that become involved in pool, the more $$ YOU will make in the long run. Higher purses, exhibition fees, etc... How great is it if the audience sees a - not yet teenage - Austin win a match on the IPT! What if they see a working mother win a match! A great personality like Bernie? People criticize us, but I refuse to apologize for being chosen by KT, according to the requirements that he set out during the application process. Yes, I readily admit, that there are MANY players out there who are INFINITELY more qualified than I am when speaking of skill level. I just wish, that FOR ONCE, that those players (not all of them, but those who have criticized) would admit that possibly KT had the right to choose whoever HE wanted and that possibly they didn't meet those requirements, or that they didn't get their application in on time. And another thing .... I am really tired of having people get on here and BASH us ON BEHALF of other players. If the players, themselves, are upset, then THEY should get on here. I really haven't seen much of that. Usually is is joeblow complaining that so and so didn't get chosen for whatever reason.

I am NOT sorry for being chosen. I will NOT give up my slot. I DO realize that getting beyond this year is not very likely, however.... I will give it my best, I will represent the IPT to my very best and if I go beyond this year, so be it. If I don't, then I'm sure that I will be replaced by one of the players who was left out this year who then has gone thru the qualifying process.

I usually don't get on here and answer to any of these posts, but after all of the questions, bashing, etc.... I feel obligated to say these things. I have seen myself, Linda, Bernie, Austin and many others being berated or, at the very least, having our credentials questioned on here. There is no need for all of that. If people would have read the requirements for applications and would have applied it is very possible that they would have gotten chosen instead of me. However, they must realize that there were only 150 spots and even if you chose ONLY the top players, there are not enough spots for everyone. When you throw in KT's desire to have a diverse group from all facets of pool, there are even less spots for the top players so those who applied properly and on time were at a premium.

All I'm saying is that PLEASE don't try to make us feel guilty or less worthy. I, among others...... DESERVE to have an opportunity and are THANKFUL for the opportunity.

Tammie Wesley-Jones

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Tammie,
Thank you for stating your position in refernece to my post. You obviously do not fit the characteristics of those players I was referring to about acting above the rest of us.

I should also clear up a couple of things, if for no other reason than to use this forums ability to let us hear what we are thinknig.

I have questioned but never bashed any selected player of the IPT and never will unless their actions show disrespect to our sport and its players. However, I have spoke out towards the IPT management group because of the many changes they have made going against original commitments to the sport.

I want to believe that these changes are for the better of the IPT, and ultimately our sport, but in this course of action the IPT has come across bitter-sweet to the rest of us left out in the cold.

Personally I was not expecting to be selected, but did feel I sent a solid resume. I even recieved a personal phone call from Deno the day after the 150 players were announced.

Okay, so they did not select me as a player and that is okay. I have no problem with how the IPT operates because this is their business. I just don't want the sport nor its players to be taken fo a ride, especially those that were not selected.

I also hope that in some way this post (even though it will only reach a few IPT players) sends a message to not forget those of us less fortunate and who in many ways helped the selected players get their chance by making them play a better game.

You and all the IPT cardholders have nothing to be ashamed of for being selected. Good luck to all IPT players.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Before I say what I'm going to say, this really isn't in response to Tammie other than she said something that I've heard a lot on here and I've often thought of posting my opinion on this very subject, but I just really don't have much interest in the I.P.T. Holy War these days. Many people share the sentiment that KT can do whatever he pleases because, after all, it's his money. Well, for starters, the part about it being "his money" could be debated since the jury is still out on how much money the I.P.T. is going to bring in from the PLAYERS when all of the qualifiers are said and done. Who knows? It could end up equaling or coming close to whatever the 2006 season costs - but that's an entirely different topic that has been argued about over and over here. What I don't like about the "he can do whatever he wants" line of thinking is that, sure, while it is his money, the tour he's starting is obviously going to completely change the pool-world and, for lack of a better phrase, turn it upside down. Doesn't anyone else see a responsibility in this? Many people make their living off of this game - albeit, in most cases, not much of a living to speak of, but coming in and completely taking over is going to obviously affect a lot more people than the 150 on the list. Isn't there a responsibility to the entire pool community to at least make an attempt to "do it right"? Which, "do it right" can mean a lot of different things but, to me, to just come in and say, "screw you guys. this is my money and I'll turn your world upside down if I want to", is pretty irresponsible and just shows a complete lack of consideration for the community that he's essentially "taking over". If everything works out then I guess, in the end, I'll be wrong about all of this. The guy has obviously been more successful in life, at least financially, than most of us so he must know something. I do know that many of the players who are on the outside looking in aren't having the greatest time right now and "he can do whatever he wants" just sounds very irresponsible.

As far as who all was selected for the first year, yeah, the selection process probably could have included a handful of people that didn't get in but, oh well. I'll go along with the "it's his money" line of thinking on this one. If the tour is a success, those players will be on it eventually. They've all waited their whole lives to make real money playing pool so waiting another year or two isn't going to kill anyone. Who knows though? What if this tour fails? In the end, some people might be HAPPY that they weren't selected. Only time will tell how this is going to turn out.

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:
Dear Tammie,
Thank you for stating your position in refernece to my post. You obviously do not fit the characteristics of those players I was referring to about acting above the rest of us.

I should also clear up a couple of things, if for no other reason than to use this forums ability to let us hear what we are thinknig.

I have questioned but never bashed any selected player of the IPT and never will unless their actions show disrespect to our sport and its players. However, I have spoke out towards the IPT management group because of the many changes they have made going against original commitments to the sport.

I want to believe that these changes are for the better of the IPT, and ultimately our sport, but in this course of action the IPT has come across bitter-sweet to the rest of us left out in the cold.

Personally I was not expecting to be selected, but did feel I sent a solid resume. I even recieved a personal phone call from Deno the day after the 150 players were announced.

Okay, so they did not select me as a player and that is okay. I have no problem with how the IPT operates because this is their business. I just don't want the sport nor its players to be taken fo a ride, especially those that were not selected.

I also hope that in some way this post (even though it will only reach a few IPT players) sends a message to not forget those of us less fortunate and who in many ways helped the selected players get their chance by making them play a better game.

You and all the IPT cardholders have nothing to be ashamed of for being selected. Good luck to all IPT players.

Thanks! I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to do this. I really do think that this will be good for pool in the long run, whether it makes it or not. I don't see it failing within the first 2 years and by that time.... should it fail.... there will hopefully be others to pick it up and build it higher. All I know is that pool is/was in a horrible state before this and I just don't see how it could be THAT much worse off in the aftermath (assuming there is an aftermath). I know that personally, I've done the pro tour thing and, although I enjoyed the experience, I went broke behind it. It wasn't that I couldn't compete (ranked in top 10 when I left; was top 16 in WPBA for a long period and had several top 5 finishes); it was simply that for the expense money there wasn't enough return on the investment to make it worth while. All of the sponsorship dollars go to the ultra talented (very top players) or the ultra talented in other areas (use your imagination - but nothing derogatory! Just easy on the eyes:)..... old, fat, ugly women like me who have above average skills aren't that appealing to sponsors..... (I know.... just kidding - but not about the sponsorship). I forget the exact stats for my last full year on tour, but it was something to the effect of 3 5ths; 3 7th's and a 9th place finish and I lost $4,000. I have a family and 2 businesses and I can't justify that. I realize that now the money is a little better but still can't justify the $$ and time it takes to qualify and tour. The women are great and I love the events and the WPBA but I just can't justify doing it any longer. Don't get me wrong.... I'm not alone. There are many women (and men) out there in the same boat.

I personally hope that KT will prevail and that we will all see a tour designed our particular niche. I see in the future a IPT Women's Tour, Senior's Tour, Men's Tour and possibly even an Amateur Tour. I'd love to play! Even without MEGA bucks I could get really excited about it.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is in our (poolplayers) best interest as a group to make this thing happen. it would happen a lot easier if everyone would quit complaining and criticizing and present a more unified front. After all, if us lucky few on this years tour can make it interesting enough that it does take off, then EVERY player will benefit, EVERY poolroom will see a boom and just think about the cue sales, table sales, etc... that can come from it!!! Wow.

Healthy discussions are great. Giving people an opportunity to question things is great. Helping guys like Jay resolve issues is great. Bashing, name calling and trashing the IPT should be kept to a minimum, if at all, however, it seems that every other thread that is started is so negative. Patience guys........ it took years to pave the Yellow Brick Road......

BankerBurt.... I know you'll be there in 2007!

Tammie Jones

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
Before I say what I'm going to say, this really isn't in response to Tammie other than she said something that I've heard a lot on here and I've often thought of posting my opinion on this very subject, but I just really don't have much interest in the I.P.T. Holy War these days. Many people share the sentiment that KT can do whatever he pleases because, after all, it's his money. Well, for starters, the part about it being "his money" could be debated since the jury is still out on how much money the I.P.T. is going to bring in from the PLAYERS when all of the qualifiers are said and done. Who knows? It could end up equaling or coming close to whatever the 2006 season costs - but that's an entirely different topic that has been argued about over and over here. What I don't like about the "he can do whatever he wants" line of thinking is that, sure, while it is his money, the tour he's starting is obviously going to completely change the pool-world and, for lack of a better phrase, turn it upside down. Doesn't anyone else see a responsibility in this? Many people make their living off of this game - albeit, in most cases, not much of a living to speak of, but coming in and completely taking over is going to obviously affect a lot more people than the 150 on the list. Isn't there a responsibility to the entire pool community to at least make an attempt to "do it right"? Which, "do it right" can mean a lot of different things but, to me, to just come in and say, "screw you guys. this is my money and I'll turn your world upside down if I want to", is pretty irresponsible and just shows a complete lack of consideration for the community that he's essentially "taking over". If everything works out then I guess, in the end, I'll be wrong about all of this. The guy has obviously been more successful in life, at least financially, than most of us so he must know something. I do know that many of the players who are on the outside looking in aren't having the greatest time right now and "he can do whatever he wants" just sounds very irresponsible.

As far as who all was selected for the first year, yeah, the selection process probably could have included a handful of people that didn't get in but, oh well. I'll go along with the "it's his money" line of thinking on this one. If the tour is a success, those players will be on it eventually. They've all waited their whole lives to make real money playing pool so waiting another year or two isn't going to kill anyone. Who knows though? What if this tour fails? In the end, some people might be HAPPY that they weren't selected. Only time will tell how this is going to turn out.

Jimmy,

I totally understand what you are saying. I just look at it a little different. I feel that KT (Sigel or Deno)... whoever had the initial vision....."funded" this tour once they decided to step off on the limb and give it a go. I know, some people say, what limb? They feel like the players who are playing in the qualifying events are funding. I disagree, to an extent. Everyone forgets how much money has been put into this deal well before the first qualifier! Just think of the expense of having 50 cameras/cameramen at the KOTH event. Renting prime space in Orlando for the week. Prize money for the KOTH and the exhibition match. The enormous staff necessary to make that happen. We're not even stepping off into the everyday office expense, printing expenses, table expenses, etc... I don't have to name it all off because players KNOW how much it costs. What I'm saying is that he did this initial jump to the end of the limb on his own without one $$ from players. It has only been since the qualifiers started in january that he has recouped some cash and I, for one, don't begrudge him that. I'm sure that it is NOT even close to getting him even and that is before he pays out royalties, qualifier referrals, etc..... This is going to be a business, just like I run my own business..... on a make it basis. No one wants to keep doing something for free or even losing money on it. I just happen to be one that feels like it will make it.

As far as the "doing it right".... well, personally, I think it's "been done" pretty darn good to this point. With the exception of the rescheduling of the events and pushing back the dates, the changes that I've seen that have been made are all positives. The prize money was redistributed to all of the players in the events instead of just winners. Well, even though I was committed before that.... I was sold then. I now could actually AFFORD to go!

I even completely understand the need to push everything back in order to get the convention space. I've "been there, done that" with trying to book large areas of convention space on short time. It's not easy.

I guess I'm just saying that I feel that KT does have the best interest of the tour (for WHATEVER his reason is) at heart. If he makes it..... we make it. I honestly don't think he would have laid out that kind of start up cash to just run a pyramid scheme on the lowest paid athletes in the world and then just run off with the cash. I think there would have been better ways for him to make his $$.

Hopefully things will go as planned and all will be great. I promise not to say, "I told you so...." if it does great, if the naysayers promise the same if it fails!!!!

Regardless, hope to see you on the IPT and hope that pool makes it big!

Tammie Jones

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your welcome Tammie

May I suggest that more IPT players follow Tammie's honest response to what it is like on the inside and how you are not forgetting those of us on the outside.

I think the negative talk has been largely based on jealousy and fear. Jealousy because they were not selected and are missing out on this potential windfall, and the fear of never making it.

The reason I posted was because of many attitudes of IPT players that act as if they have done something bigger than the rest of us. When frankly they haven't done anything, yet, at least until KT's gets this thing going.

Even still I foresee many a players being reprimanded for mis-representing KT's investment and it may add to the already danting task of launching this tour into big time limelight. We will see.

The women are gems and will do well for KT but I am not sure about many of the men. Not the Hall of Famers or true champions, they have proven themselves professional but rather the endless number of players that think they're better than they really are and may take negative foot steps.

If the IPT is listening, I for one would like a chance to play on this tour. When the tour is making some headway beyond a hype, I will put up my hard earned dollars but for now it does not make good business sense.

Tammie, you mentioned business and that is where I will stay (for now). I play like most pre-IPT players from pure passion, not for the money. I am not rich by any means but my math tells me that even finishing in the top 100 through 2006, that is if I qualify for stops #1 & 2 (cash big) and play well enough to finish in the top 100 (which is a stretch because I am currently not playing at all) I would make much less than I do in my own business.

So if the money holds out and it looks like I can afford to support my passion it will happen next year. Your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated and in a way has reconnected me to my desire to play.
Thank you from the "Center of my heart".
PS Jimmy M. - In all fairness to the old family of broke players, it is difficult to understand your comparison of KT's money and what he is doing for the sport (from his heart) when most of us not selected have hearts much bigger (only with far less dollars). Though I do ageed it is very cool that some of KT's money is going into pool player's pockets. This is the only reason I can hope for success of the IPT.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:
PS Jimmy M. - In all fairness to the old family of broke players, it is difficult to understand your comparison of KT's money and what he is doing for the sport (from his heart) when most of us not selected have hearts much bigger (only with far less dollars). Though I do ageed it is very cool that some of KT's money is going into pool player's pockets. This is the only reason I can hope for success of the IPT.

Hi. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. What comparison did I make that you are referring to? I'm not saying anything negative or positive. Right now I'm not ready to hail KT as pool's savior because the IPT has yet to even have a true tour event. Nor am I willing to say that the tour is a joke for the same reason - they have yet to have a true tour event. I'm sitting here hopeful that things will work out just like everyone else but I'm not ready to break out the pom-poms just yet. I'll be honest though. I'm not overly impressed with the qualifying system. I'm not saying it's just flat out terrible but I do think it can be improved upon. How? I have opinions, like everyone else, but I don't feel like debating my opinions since my ideas aren't the ones being used. I'd defend them if they were, but I already post too much in this forum so I'll try to save myself the agony of going through a forum debate by posting my opinions for a certain Floridian to pounce all over me about. :D

Last edited:

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry!

Jimmy M. said:
Hi. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. What comparison did I make that you are referring to? I'm not saying anything negative or positive. Right now I'm not ready to hail KT as pool's savior because the IPT has yet to even have a true tour event. Nor am I willing to say that the tour is a joke for the same reason - they have yet to have a true tour event. I'm sitting here hopeful that things will work out just like everyone else but I'm not ready to break out the pom-poms just yet. I'll be honest though. I'm not overly impressed with the qualifying system. I'm not saying it's just flat out terrible but I do think it can be improved upon. How? I have opinions, like everyone else, but I don't feel like debating my opinions since my ideas aren't the ones being used. I'd defend them if they were, but I already post too much in this forum so I'll try to save myself the agony of going through a forum debate by posting my opinions for a certain Floridian to pounce all over me about. :D

Dear Jimmy,
Please disregard my PS when talking with Tammie and you. I do read more than I write on this forum and I inadvertently and mistakenly responded to a post by a completely different Jimmy.

Man, I got to watch it. I really screwed up and made a mistake. Maybe I should just stick with one post a day and not bounce around.

Sincerely,
Bart

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:
Dear Jimmy,
Please disregard my PS when talking with Tammie and you. I do read more than I write on this forum and I inadvertently and mistakenly responded to a post by a completely different Jimmy.

Man, I got to watch it. I really screwed up and made a mistake. Maybe I should just stick with one post a day and not bounce around.

Sincerely,
Bart

No big deal. I suspected it wasn't me. :)

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to put something out there and I am not sure if this is the right thread to do it but what the hell. I can't help thinking with everyone saying how KT and the IPT is great for todays top players and all players in the future but what about the older players who dedicated their lives to pool and had to live on the road and tournament trail when there was no real money. Some of these great players are over 60 years old and what about the dues they paid for their entire life. Most of them no longer have the ability or stamina(especially) to compete with the younger pros and champions. The fact is without these older players alot of these younger ones may not have gotten interested in pool. Sure they had the KOTH tournament and a few of the older "in crowd" got a little pay day but what about the rest of them. The fact is that most of the top players from the 60's and 70's have nothing to show for a lifetime of devotion and how do you think they feel that when there is finally some money in the sport and alot are too old to win any of it. People are always wondering why pool has never taken off in this country. Why should it when most of the former champions have nothing to show for it. KT should have a " senior tour" also, for players over 50 that are not one of the 150 IPTers so they have a legitamate shot at some decent prize money. I got news for you there are alot of people out there that would love to see what is left from the older generation in a tournament setting if for nothing else the stories the fans could hear from and be entertained by elder statesmen of the game. I am not talking about a charity tournament, but just some repect and a chance to make some money (for once)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the IPT is successful (makes money) then you can count on a senior tour down the line but that is a huge 'If'. He'd be a little reckless if he tried to launch one now.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
thebighurt said:
I just wanted to put something out there and I am not sure if this is the right thread to do it but what the hell. I can't help thinking with everyone saying how KT and the IPT is great for todays top players and all players in the future but what about the older players who dedicated their lives to pool and had to live on the road and tournament trail when there was no real money. Some of these great players are over 60 years old and what about the dues they paid for their entire life. Most of them no longer have the ability or stamina(especially) to compete with the younger pros and champions. The fact is without these older players alot of these younger ones may not have gotten interested in pool. Sure they had the KOTH tournament and a few of the older "in crowd" got a little pay day but what about the rest of them. The fact is that most of the top players from the 60's and 70's have nothing to show for a lifetime of devotion and how do you think they feel that when there is finally some money in the sport and alot are too old to win any of it. People are always wondering why pool has never taken off in this country. Why should it when most of the former champions have nothing to show for it. KT should have a " senior tour" also, for players over 50 that are not one of the 150 IPTers so they have a legitamate shot at some decent prize money. I got news for you there are alot of people out there that would love to see what is left from the older generation in a tournament setting if for nothing else the stories the fans could hear from and be entertained by elder statesmen of the game. I am not talking about a charity tournament, but just some repect and a chance to make some money (for once)

^ amen.. and I don't even like this guy. :cool:

jjinfla

Banned
Banker Burt said:
To all IPT selected players -
take note of IPT cardholders (who IMO were questionable selections) have suddenly began acting as if they are above the rest of us just because they have an opportunity to make some legitimate money.

Actually Burt, they ARE part of the in crowd, and for whatever reason, they now deserve all the accolades. They will forever keep the memory of having that IPT card. They are on the inside enjoying all the priviliges like fame and money, that go along with it. And I hope they enjoy themselves and make the most of it.

All the complaining in the world will not change that.

Look at the opportunity that players missed by not going to Cleveland where only 6 showed up for the qualifier.

Players can't come up with the entry fee? Then they should give up pool and get a job because they are in the wrong business.

As far as feeling sorry for the old timers who paved the way. Tell me who felt sorry for the players who paved the way in football, baseball, basketball, etc.

At least KT did reward the HOF'ers.

Jake

Last edited:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eieio59 said:
Banker Burt,

I don't think the issue is that the IPT players actually think that they are better than others now. I know, speaking for myself, I haven't changed a bit, other than realizing how excited I am about pool again. Given the criteria for becoming an IPT player FOR THE FIRST YEAR, I feel as though I was a perfect fit and was very appreciative for being chosen and will do my best to show that in every way. I will NOT be made to feel as though others deserved it when I didn't. I have worked hard for the past 28 years not only on my playing career, but also in promoting pool. The cold reality of it is that there are many players who are not on that list that are better players than me and for whatever reason they did not get chosen. It is possible that they didn't get their application in in time and, I'm sorry..... not having a computer is NOT an excuse. If you wanted a job bad enough, you would do whatever was necessary to get that job and you would do it by the deadline. For others, it is possible that the only reason they weren't chosen was because, even though they were great players, they may not have had much of a resume past that. Still others may not have been chosen because, it is my understanding, that KT wanted a diverse group of representatives for this first year. This is his perrogative - and this is something that I said BEFORE I was chosen. In the press releases that were written during the application process it was made clear that he wanted this diverse group of people that had made contributions of every kind to pool. This is a great idea, I believe, as it allows this tv audience to see that people of ALL skill levels and ALL walks of life can play this game. After all, for all of you great players, this is the best thing that could happen for YOU! The more potential spectators and lower level players that become involved in pool, the more $$ YOU will make in the long run. Higher purses, exhibition fees, etc... How great is it if the audience sees a - not yet teenage - Austin win a match on the IPT! What if they see a working mother win a match! A great personality like Bernie? People criticize us, but I refuse to apologize for being chosen by KT, according to the requirements that he set out during the application process. Yes, I readily admit, that there are MANY players out there who are INFINITELY more qualified than I am when speaking of skill level. I just wish, that FOR ONCE, that those players (not all of them, but those who have criticized) would admit that possibly KT had the right to choose whoever HE wanted and that possibly they didn't meet those requirements, or that they didn't get their application in on time. And another thing .... I am really tired of having people get on here and BASH us ON BEHALF of other players. If the players, themselves, are upset, then THEY should get on here. I really haven't seen much of that. Usually is is joeblow complaining that so and so didn't get chosen for whatever reason.

I am NOT sorry for being chosen. I will NOT give up my slot. I DO realize that getting beyond this year is not very likely, however.... I will give it my best, I will represent the IPT to my very best and if I go beyond this year, so be it. If I don't, then I'm sure that I will be replaced by one of the players who was left out this year who then has gone thru the qualifying process.

I usually don't get on here and answer to any of these posts, but after all of the questions, bashing, etc.... I feel obligated to say these things. I have seen myself, Linda, Bernie, Austin and many others being berated or, at the very least, having our credentials questioned on here. There is no need for all of that. If people would have read the requirements for applications and would have applied it is very possible that they would have gotten chosen instead of me. However, they must realize that there were only 150 spots and even if you chose ONLY the top players, there are not enough spots for everyone. When you throw in KT's desire to have a diverse group from all facets of pool, there are even less spots for the top players so those who applied properly and on time were at a premium.

All I'm saying is that PLEASE don't try to make us feel guilty or less worthy. I, among others...... DESERVE to have an opportunity and are THANKFUL for the opportunity.

Tammie Wesley-Jones
Dear Tammy,

I, for one, did fill out the application before the deadline and was not selected. I believe I deserved to be selected, but, as you said, there are those who are more qualified than myself.

I believed the tour would happen from the beginning, and hoped and still hope it will be successful for everybody. I hopefully have another 10, 15, or more years that I might can compete against the top players in the world. So if this is successful, I hope to gain from it also. Some players have much less time than that.

What we need is a real player organization that makes everything open for everyone to qualify, and forces promoters to give spots to those that deserve to be there.

You have paid your dues, as I have, supporting pro tours in the past, and I wish you luck. Especially because men and women competing in the same tournaments is what I think will eventually bring this sport to the top.

But I think it is the duty of those involved to look out for the sport as a whole. In the past, player organizations looked out for only the top players, if they were involved at all. The MPBA was only concerned with making money for 32, or even just 16 players. Then Camel took over and there were much better events, but no organization to take advantage of them and get people there and expand on what Camel had invested.

Now there's the UPA, and the WPBA is still around. Their televised events suck. The commentators prattle on endlessly about nothing and take all the drama out of the matches by simply not paying attention, they are never on live, and there's relatively little money.

We should be involving all of the players around the country instead of picking and choosing. Hose Parica commented at a so-called "World 9-BAll" event, where only fifty something people paid $500 entry fees, that they should have let in another couple hundred people for $100 each, since we all knew that one of 10 or so players allready there would win anyway. We played in a convention center that would hold thousands and I counted 19 there for the first round matches.

No amount of money will convince me that KT has more say about what should happen on a pool tour than me. Money is not time, and I have dedicated my life to pool. It would be nice if they would spend enough time to have a fair system, open to everybody. If they won't, then we, as players and people devoted to the game, should figure out how to make that happen.

Best wishes on the tour. Women have kept pool alive on television, and I hope you do well on the IPT tour for the benefit of everyone.

unknownpro

IPT-hopeful

Registered
It's encouraging to read all of your heartfelt comments, and fair comments they are too. I think this thread is one of the best I've read in here, and I've been reading quite a bit recently. Good going Tammy, I think you sparked off the whole thing with your honest and optimistic (in a good way) view of the IPT.

I am indeed hopeful IPT does well too, just more than a little concerned at times that there are areas (such as rest-of-the-world media publicity, qualification system objectives & pool world publicity to name just 3), where the IPT action taken hasn't caught up with the hype. Another outstanding example of pure hype is that one of the venues for the coming qualifiers has only 3 proper pool tables, and yet appears in the list of places extolled as "world class" venues!!! I'm not saying that the hype is wrong or right, but there certainly is quite a bit of it. From a business point of view, for a chance at success, the way IPT has done it so far is ONE way of doing it. I'm no billionaire, and look at it whichever way you want, but hype and sensationalism does sell in certain industries, just look at the news and TV as prime examples.

I sincerely hope that IPT will tighten up its action on its hype (reading some of these forums and sifting valuable feedback from the noise can help), and take pool where its never been before. I only hope the deep pockets that are funding this venture don't pull out the stops too early. It's a great idea marketing pool on TV; it's what has made so many other sports great. But it will take time to change mindsets, both within the pool community and outside of it. My 2 cents worth :)

jjinfla

Banned
Okay IPT-Hopeful if you are so pro promoting pool how come you don't even list where you are from? I would think you, and everyone else who posts here, would be proud to do that.

As far as TV goes keep in mind that the shows that are telecast are just there to keep the people glued to the TV in between commercials. The shows are the filler - the commercials are the money makers.

The final episode of "Idol" commanded One Million dollars for a 30 second commercial. That's a one with 6 zeros. Or if you make $50,000 a year it will take you 20 years to earn that.

And 63 million people called in to vote, at a dollar a vote.

Jake

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope not or it will take me 20 yrs to pay off(lol)

jjinfla said:
Okay IPT-Hopeful if you are so pro promoting pool how come you don't even list where you are from? I would think you, and everyone else who posts here, would be proud to do that.

As far as TV goes keep in mind that the shows that are telecast are just there to keep the people glued to the TV in between commercials. The shows are the filler - the commercials are the money makers.

The final episode of "Idol" commanded One Million dollars for a 30 second commercial. That's a one with 6 zeros. Or if you make $50,000 a year it will take you 20 years to earn that.

Jake

Since when do toll free numbers cost a buck?

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next year will be different

It has been a couple of months since I originally posted this thread, so for those that are interested here are my thoughts today.

Ya better get goin IPT management and you better follow through. Kind of sounds like a threat but please read on.

Many a IPT cardholder had stopped their lives in order to get ready for the February start. For these players it has created a financial setback based on their trust of what was being hyped by KT and Deno.

You, the IPT, have also created some monsters who are actually trying to borrow, sell and/or negotiate their (potential) return from IPT events in order to survive until the tour actually launches.

I have been approached by a couple of these monsters with some incredibly creative pitches. I have been polite to say, "Nice try but no", and have been laughing ever since because of their crazy ideas that are not even closely related to how business is conducted in the real world. The only thing that did eat at me about these negotiations is that I sent a solid resume, and would do the IPT right by being a part of this "New Sport", yet I have to listen to pool hustler's ideas about a business deal?

So please make good on your promises, and ride with the many deserving players long enough to get this thing right. Then I am sure that our professional players will have a legitimate chance at making a good living.

If this doesn't succeed it will not be my fault for not making it from the efforts of my playing skill, rather not being as stupid as the players who have apporached me with rediculous propositions about what the IPT will do for them.

Please make this work and hopefully what has transpired are the lows for the IPT and the future is fruitful. Then players will either have sponsors and players like myself taking this tour serious enough to pony up and play.
I do it all the time, and it is called taking a calculated risk vs. return. Either my calcutaor has broken or...

Hopefully by this time next year we have this "New Sport" era well on its way. Good luck.

Please make this tour a success.

IPT-hopeful

Registered
jjinfla said:
Since when did I ever say I'm pro at promoting pool?? :)Precisely, that's just YOUR thoughts. That's also why they have nicknames in here rather than actual names. It's called choice, something you should be used to. But since you asked, although it could have been a little more nicely, I'll just say I am NOT from NA or Europe. There, at least you have some views outside of what you're used to.

Jake

Yup, that's the potential IPT is probably eyeing. It won't work unless it catches many more eyeballs though. Note that "Idol" is a hit show that just about everyone watches, and that makes it worthwhile for advertisers, even with the 6 zeros :)