Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Many thanks indeed, K2K. :)

They're still not quite as crisp and clear as your fine photographs, sir, but not bad for an amateur with a cellphone and a considerable improvement on my customary fuzzy efforts that's for sure!

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
jsoxw9.jpg

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the layout pics you've done showing the ball set in its entirety along with the box and a weight measurement, Rubik's

What else can you tell us about the bat logo Breezer balls and the significance of the 5 separate colors of 3 each plus the black and white balls - are there specific rules or a game made exclusively for these? If not, there are definitely quite a few unique games that could be played with these colors - reminds me of the set that Jack Swearman created with his 29-ball boxed version

Nice work, sir!

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess, anyone?

For those of you pool players that count yourself among the 500 million+ people that play modern chess, may I introduce you to a billiard ball set and game that has been adapted to the baize: Cuemate.

The brainchild, designer and creator of Cuemate is none other than a gentleman from the Atlanta, Georgia, area that answers to the name of Duane R. Smith. I had the pleasure of meeting up with Duane one evening on a trip I had through the area and we played for a few hours, allowing him to share his story of how the ball set came into being from inception to finally being manufactured for him by VIGMA, the familiar billiard ball giant out of China. Being a collector of billiard ball sets that run the gamut from the usual suspects of Aramith, Albany and Hyatt, I am also drawn to unusual and unique ball designs that reflect a special interest or idea. The Cuemate set that Duane has made available fits the bill of not only being unique but finally allows those with a passion for something different or favor the notion of a more cerebral and strategic game of chess to be played on the pool table.

You will notice there is no traditional "cue ball" amongst the 16 Cuemate spheres, simply because each of a player's object balls can essentially be used as a cue ball - similar to chess where a player may elect to begin play with whichever piece they choose during their turn. And therein lies the beauty of the Cuemate game set: the familiar rules of board-game chess have adapted to each ranking billiard ball and each one has specific shot restrictions and rules, which are quite easy to understand when reading through the rule set - even for those cueists that have no prior knowledge of the traditional chess game. For two examples, the PAWNS cannot be used to shoot any bank or combination and must always move up-table. The KNIGHT can move in any direction and can only pocket an opponents ball by way of a combination - no straight in or banks allowed (for pocketing balls). The ROOK, BISHOP, KING and QUEEN each have specific limitations.

Without further adieu, may I introduce my latest and definitely most interesting of the ball sets I've ever come across. Cuemate.

f2c89fc5aae65194cc378fcf7bfb84e2.jpg

31ee6e70c9f16db3b6ff1a59ecc9be13.jpg

bd874286107aa92350a6bff76426d94c.jpg

8b991585d17ef96efbb3e8b983603928.jpg

I will be happy to post pictures of the Official Rules as well as the unique ball rack that Duane created as an accessory for the game (VIGMA also manufactured this rack) in follow up posts if there is interest within this thread.

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an unusual and interesting set!
My father loves chess, I would imagine that he would love to try the billiards version!

If you can, post the rules please! Maybe I could figure out a way to try and play with regular balls.. I'm sure that if you have this set it would be much nicer, but as I understand this is an extremely rare set!

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, gentlemen. :)

Beautiful photographs and description of your limited edition Cuemate set and its box, K2K. We've chatted a little about these privately, of course, but it will be fascinating to hear any opinions of the good folks on AZB. An awful lot of time and effort was obviously devoted to this project, a true labour of love. More power to Mr Smith, one of life's risk-takers, and here's hoping his dedication pays dividends.

I love the layout pics you've done showing the ball set in its entirety along with the box and a weight measurement, Rubik's

What else can you tell us about the bat logo Breezer balls and the significance of the 5 separate colors of 3 each plus the black and white balls - are there specific rules or a game made exclusively for these? If not, there are definitely quite a few unique games that could be played with these colors - reminds me of the set that Jack Swearman created with his 29-ball boxed version.

There were no rules supplied with my set, alas, and nothing whatsoever to be found online. A clue might be derived, however, upon closer inspection of the box lid... there are a quintet of Bacardi Breezer bottle-tops corresponding to the five ball colours assembled within. I can only conclude a form of five-player Cut Throat was the original intention, no doubt with some sort of drinking forfeit incorporated into the game play, eh?

As far as inventing other variations of our own for these rare Bacardi Balls, a few ideas instantly spring to mind. You know how I like to dream up quirky game titles, my friend, so how about Batshit Crazy... a disorderly pursuit for delinquents and the mildly inebriated? Or, for speed demons like yourself K2K, perhaps Murciélago... a high octane game of speedpool for Lamborghini owners and bat lovers alike? :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Batshit Crazy.

Delinquents and the Disorderly. Sounds like the three old chaps I play on occasion over straight bourbons and rums. The fun starts about 45 min into any game....

Speaking of which, I have a friend that loves the Bacardi offerings of rum when he comes to play and the funny thing is that he has a fear of bats! How do I know this you ask.....well, he had bats living in his garage pool room of course that didn't appreciate his playing late at night and it took my friend years to figure out where in the hell that squeaking was coming from.

I'd love to have a set of those Bats in 2.25" just to see the look on his face when I unveiled the new game for the evening.

Cuemate rules in their entirety coming up later today along with two rule variations that have since been adopted through feedback of a few Cuemate Tournaments in the Atlanta area over the years...

If anyone would like a set of the Collectors Edition Cuemates or the custom racking template or the large 44" laminated rule sheet, I can put you in touch with Duane directly - via PM please.

831934a35d44a7896f825d0951e8eecf.jpg

Thanks for the crazy game ideas, Rubik's! Always a pleasure, sir ---- talk soon...

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an unusual and interesting set!

My father loves chess, I would imagine that he would love to try the billiards version!

If you can, post the rules please! Maybe I could figure out a way to try and play with regular balls.. I'm sure that if you have this set it would be much nicer, but as I understand this is an extremely rare set!

Here are pics of the original rule set that comes with each Cuemate set in addition to marking dots for the ball positions on each end of the table if you didn't buy the template rack. I have also added the two rule CHANGES that Duane and Co. came up with as viable alternatives depending on the opponent and game desired.

Any questions, fire away - I've had the pleasure of playing the game and developing strategies for many hours myself and Duane is always avail to help via email when he's not working shows and the like. His email is on the rules addendum.

Enjoy!

addba906c609842f456ee0aa7c105b32.jpg

874959a21070709aeb6730fc02b8e16d.jpg

9546466553129fe0630fccf756368cdd.jpg

f80f69e21590e4f34fc4cada337f44d8.jpg

583c0a6de40f842e6a52fdcc0436b5f7.jpg

4074008c22e787e80d98c07da61c0f24.jpg

58470c7e3af9d5ff6214e860425a9d1c.jpg

8c601dfb409935fc00d76baa9e16a28b.jpg

2a4db7b3d30a2e7f196f3393e2a27b64.jpg

ecee79ef3e43db6b0183d879a3bdbaa2.jpg

Game on!

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that's not counting the 30,000+ we've checked and posted and edited

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Yes, you're undoubtedly right, sir. Now I stop to think about it, 25,000 or so of those views are probably mine! :)

I'd love to have a set of those Bats in 2.25" just to see the look on his face when I unveiled the new game for the evening.

One of these days, my friend, I'm going to tempt you over to the dark side. I'll ship across a set of unique two-inch billiard balls and you'll be hooked, sir. Hooked, I say. Transglobal Express will need to be placed on speed dial as a box a week starts to fly above the ocean to Texas. :)

Joking aside, some of the British examples are actually far rarer than their larger American counterparts, there were simply fewer of them manufactured. And, to a collector of course, this fact can prove an irresistible challenge. I have grown quite attached to many of the sets pictured on the previous page, they're more than just a trophy to display in a cabinet for me, the memories evoked in their acquisition is the real pleasure.

Even though I'm far from being a wealthy fellow, and thus need to buy wisely, I can honestly state that I wouldn't part with the majority of them at almost any price. Yet another trait that makes us collectors a little eccentric in the first place, I guess. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Last edited:

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow amazing finds! The story behind the chess set was great. Love that passion. Keep going guys!

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
And that's not counting the 30,000+ we've checked and posted and edited

I just read from Page-1 to Page-39 straight and I couldn't get enough and I don't have any balls to collect. Count me as very touched by the true altruism displayed by many here especially RC & K2K.

Living in Texas has made me hope I'm passing one day through Ft. Worth and you don't mind showing someone around.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, gentlemen. :)

Many thanks indeed for the kind words, they're all very much appreciated. I'll certainly endeavour to keep the thread alive whilst I still have the balls for it, so to speak. :)

Coincidentally, a few days after posting up pictures of my early Aramith Poker Balls on the previous page, an (almost) matching set has just appeared on British eBay. Here's the link for your interest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare...940068?hash=item3ad83c65e4:g:2N8AAOSwXeJYGJnf

I'm not entirely comfortable criticising another fellow's opinion on a public forum but, in bringing these particular balls to the attention of my friends on AZB, I feel duty bound to also mention a couple of concerns I harbour over the seller's accompanying description.

The balls are listed as being in a "pristine" condition. Close inspection of the photographs, however, would suggest otherwise; several scuffs are discernible and quite a few areas of discolouration.

Secondly, and something which is quite astonishing, I believe what this chap is offering is actually a collection of spares made up of many other different sets. Instead of the requisite card emblems featured on their resprective colours, we seem to have four yellow aces; three green kings (one is misssing, replaced by a 15 stripe for some bizarre reason); four red queens; and four blue jacks. Given the rarity of these balls, to see a marriage of this kind is rather remarkable.

Lastly, the box certainly isn't original as stated. His asking price of 60 GBP is reasonable, though, to be fair, as you probably won't see too many more early Aramith Pokers for a while.

Best wishes everyone.
RC.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read from Page-1 to Page-39 straight and I couldn't get enough and I don't have any balls to collect. Count me as very touched by the true altruism displayed by many here especially RC & K2K.

Living in Texas has made me hope I'm passing one day through Ft. Worth and you don't mind showing someone around.

Thank you for the kind and generous words, LJ! It sure is an added bonus having a global channel like AZB to share things like this with fellow cue sport enthusiasts like yourself, sir, and simply paying forward what so many have helped me with over the years.

Because of this thread that the estimable Rubik's Cube began nearly a year ago, I've made countless new friends across the globe sharing our collecting passion and helping those complete or acquire a few of their own sets otherwise unobtainable. Rewarding, to say the least

Send me a PM, LJ, and we can share contact info so if you are ever passing through the Fort Worth area and have a little time, we can meet up and I'll show you around

K.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Great thread.

The only thing I have to contribute is the one in my avatar bought at comic con in San Diego in 1997 I believe.. it looks cool but its hollow plastic I'd love to find one in phenolic.