Pool Ball Collecting.

Jeffrey P.

I have been trying to purchase this set of pool balls for the last 12 years. I had told a friend of mine Arnie Gabriel that used to be a sales person for Crystal Leisure, that I had found a set of cellulose zig zag balls by Hyatt but he told me that they had only made them in clay only. Has anyone seen a set of cellulose zig zag balls before. Thanks for looking at my post.

Attachments

• 20210617_191413.jpg
    20210617_191413.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 159

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been trying to purchase this set of pool balls for the last 12 years. I had told a friend of mine Arnie Gabriel that used to be a sales person for Crystal Leisure, that I had found a set of cellulose zig zag balls by Hyatt but he told me that they had only made them in clay only. Has anyone seen a set of cellulose zig zag balls before. Thanks for looking at my post.
Where did you get that pic?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeffrey,

In the early 1950s, the earliest years of wider production of phenolic resin balls, both Les Usines and La Decalite used the "open 4" on their 4-balls and their 14-balls. I can not prove that your beautiful balls were made in Belgium, but I believe they were made in either Belgium or Germany. The Raschig plastics had a rather indescribable translucence in their more muted colors and the pictures you sent seemed to hint at a German made ball. It would be very difficult to prove that your balls were made in the U.S. at Albany. The number fonts are unique. Look at the 8-ball and see how small the top circle is compared to the bottom. Even SALUC in their more modern balls, never made their 8-balls that disproportionate. Keep in mind also, that the European companies were very good copycats. The original Hyatt Zig-Zag balls enjoyed significant popularity. Why not knock it off? One way to sap Hyatt was to sell their designs.

Thank you for sharing your set.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeffrey,

I just thought of something else. Look at the color match on the 4/12, 5/13, 6/14 and so on. Dead on! Very German!

Both Rubik's Cube and K2Kraze are knowledgable Raschig enthusiasts. Reach out to them.

mrpiper

Registered
1OUqkUN.jpg

JRTRqnT.jpg

mLUSOCk.jpg

Picked up my third and final batch of the Eagle 29 color ball sets. Currently standing guard are Ronnie the Limo Driver and Baba Booey. Only 7 left, get yours today! Shoot me a message on here or an email to chuckjones1987@yahoo.com and I can get you a set no problem
A VERY Big Shout-Out to our AZB friend and advocate Chuck Jones for sharing this find exclusively with the billiard enthusiasts across the web, and doing so for the love of the game. I suspect that with a little time and patience, these sets could have gone for much MUCH more money on the auction sites, but Chuck chose to share them here with us at a more than reasonable price! A true gentleman, lover of the game, and friend to the forum.

Some Moderator needs to add a badge for Billiard Ambassador and make Chuck the first recipient. I am really glad to have run across these sets and have been enjoying mine every chance I get.

Thank you once again Chuck, and I hope to find a real gem myself to return the favor someday.

Jeffrey P.

Jeffrey,

In the early 1950s, the earliest years of wider production of phenolic resin balls, both Les Usines and La Decalite used the "open 4" on their 4-balls and their 14-balls. I can not prove that your beautiful balls were made in Belgium, but I believe they were made in either Belgium or Germany. The Raschig plastics had a rather indescribable translucence in their more muted colors and the pictures you sent seemed to hint at a German made ball. It would be very difficult to prove that your balls were made in the U.S. at Albany. The number fonts are unique. Look at the 8-ball and see how small the top circle is compared to the bottom. Even SALUC in their more modern balls, never made their 8-balls that disproportionate. Keep in mind also, that the European companies were very good copycats. The original Hyatt Zig-Zag balls enjoyed significant popularity. Why not knock it off? One way to sap Hyatt was to sell their designs.

Thank you for sharing your set.
Thank you for the information. I have been trying to get this set from the owner for 12 or so years. They are a good addition to the rest of the sets of antique pool balls I have.

Jeffrey P.

What is the price? Thank you.
It took me about 12 years to get these balls from the owner. I posted the photo to see if anyone else had ever run across a set like them. All the other sets I have seen were clay sets. I will pass them on to my children and let them them decide what to do with them. Hopefully it will be a few years till they decide to keep or sell them. Thank you for your enquiry.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the information. I have been trying to get this set from the owner for 12 or so years. They are a good addition to the rest of the sets of antique pool balls I have.
If you have a friendship with the former owner, please question him about his knowledge of your "new" set. At the time your balls were produced, there were only three companies that would have used the "open 4" in their balls, as the Composition Billiard Ball Co. of England and Albany Billiard Ball Co. used only the closed "4". See if you can get your friend to try to remember where the balls came from.

If you get a chance, search around the internet and find a set of Raschig pocket balls and compare the font on your 2-ball with the font of a Raschig 2-ball. The other numbers on your set bear little if any resemblance to the more typical numbering on Raschig balls.

Now that you have found AZB and this thread, please share other sets from your collection.

Best regards,

Boxcar

Jeffrey P.

If you have a friendship with the former owner, please question him about his knowledge of your "new" set. At the time your balls were produced, there were only three companies that would have used the "open 4" in their balls, as the Composition Billiard Ball Co. of England and Albany Billiard Ball Co. used only the closed "4". See if you can get your friend to try to remember where the balls came from.

If you get a chance, search around the internet and find a set of Raschig pocket balls and compare the font on your 2-ball with the font of a Raschig 2-ball. The other numbers on your set bear little if any resemblance to the more typical numbering on Raschig balls.

Now that you have found AZB and this thread, please share other sets from your collection.

Best regards,

Boxcar

I actually bought them from the widow of the original owner. She knew I had spoke to her husband about them when he was living. She agreed to part with them after his death.

Jeffrey P.

That's the closest match to the ball set I have. I mostly wanted to see if there were any zig zag sets out there that were nonclay. Thanks for the photo for comparison. The color and stripe seem to be more hard edged, where the set I have are somewhat translucent, giving them a softer appearance.