Pool Cards

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
There have been over 40 views of this post but no answers.... Does anyone else out there offer pool cards for their players? We do. It is $60 per month excluding fri and sat and they can play unlimited pool on the other days. We have about 15 people that buy them regularly. I was wondering if anyone else does this kind of thing and what are your guidelines and how well does it work for you? I am trying to decide if I really want to push the sales or just let it be where its at.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Monthly cards

There have been over 40 views of this post but no answers.... Does anyone else out there offer pool cards for their players? We do. It is $60 per month excluding fri and sat and they can play unlimited pool on the other days. We have about 15 people that buy them regularly. I was wondering if anyone else does this kind of thing and what are your guidelines and how well does it work for you? I am trying to decide if I really want to push the sales or just let it be where its at.

We offer a card for 75.00 per month that lets a player play unlimited pool anytime we are open. You can start and stop it anytime, and it's good for 30 consecutive days from the time you purchase it. It doesn't count for league fees, green fees for tournaments, etc. Only regular pool time, and for the cardholder only. We also have about 15 regulars, and I also am unsure if I want more, lol. I'm sure some would spend more, and some less. It provides more players during the daytime which is good, and they buy food and drinks and play with others who are not on the card, who pay the 1 player rate. It's a little tough to see some of the guys practice breaks for hour after hour when they're not paying time. I swear I have one guy now whose trying to play every hour we are open for 30 days. I have looked into the way health clubs do it, which is to use what's called a 'gateway' to automatically deduct the money from a checking account or credit card after you sign them up. It would be cleaner and more profitable for the room. I'd like have that as the only way to do the monthly membership, and it would still be a great deal for those who choose to do it. I have two questions. What do you do with the guy who waits until he runs up a $20 pool tab, and then says "I'll just buy a card today." With ours, it can never be retroactive-pool is free for 30 days AFTER you pay for the card. Also, if a guy with a card is playing with one without which rate do you charge? One player or half of 2 players, if they are different.

DeepocketsAlvin

Registered
"What do you do with the guy who waits until he runs up a $20 pool tab, and then says "I'll just buy a card today" I am guilty of just letting him buy the card in the hopes that it will be a monthly occurance. And, if a player joins we charge them the 1 player rate. Our thought is that we want to make the cards due on the first of every month. If we can sell 80 per month and all are paid with in the first week of the month then that covers our rent. On the one hand it sounds like a great idea but on the other it doesnt. We just bought 20 new diamond tables 16 of which are coin operated. Now we are getting flak from regulars that paying $1 per game is too much. My response is buy a pool card! I just want it to be affordable but be able to pay my bills at the same time.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cards

Years ago, when I had my room, I sold a VIP card. The card was good for one year. The VIP Card entitled the user to 15% off their pool time and 15% off any merchandise. It also entitled them to having the regular Monday thru Friday daytime Special of $8 from noon till 6, applied to the weekends. This card would cost the player $75. I would regularly sell about 25 each year, although one year I think I sold close to 35. It was money directly into my pocket, which was nice. I had about 10-12 players who purchased them just to play on Saturdays. I did not want to sell pool time by the month. I wanted everyone on the clock.
There was a poolroom I used to go to that sold a years worth of pool time for $500. The owner regretted it.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What do you do with the guy who waits until he runs up a $20 pool tab, and then says "I'll just buy a card today" I am guilty of just letting him buy the card in the hopes that it will be a monthly occurance. And, if a player joins we charge them the 1 player rate. Our thought is that we want to make the cards due on the first of every month. If we can sell 80 per month and all are paid with in the first week of the month then that covers our rent. On the one hand it sounds like a great idea but on the other it doesnt. We just bought 20 new diamond tables 16 of which are coin operated. Now we are getting flak from regulars that paying $1 per game is too much. My response is buy a pool card! I just want it to be affordable but be able to pay my bills at the same time.

have you thought about phasing out the card or limiting them to just the big tables with restrictions.since you own the bar boxes,have you considered dropping them to 50 cents. when i had my room the monthly gross almost doubled when i dropped the bar boxes from 75 to 50.if those tables came with a dollar bill changer i would suggest getting 50 cent coin changers and a change machine.customers will pump a 10 dollar bill through a change machine and not blink.but if they have to break a 10 and slide them in the table 1 at a time they start to cringe.they are loose as hell with change,but tight with the buck.9 ballers on the barbox love 50 cent tables.they blow through 20 dollars worth of quarters fast.

bill

bill